Is my Vibroverb 63 RI form the 90's is "short-to-sleeve" ??

hello,
just bought the FX8 and read all the manual,
i need help to know if my Vibroverb RI form the 90's is "short-to-sleeve" ?
the footswitch is 2 button with 1/4 tip , ring , sleeve connaction,
dont want to blow anything :)
i sent an email to fender but almost 4 days with no response

also what is the best way to connect the FX8 to my amp? i dont have send return on it,
thanks

not sure about the footswitch the manual doesn't detail that. without an fx loop you'll go to the front of
amp. what efx do you run now?

Without getting a definitive answer from Fender it's not a good idea to try. I'm aware they have a few amps with Voltage Differential switching but not 100% certain on the Vibroverb.

As far as connecting to your amp, as Ptodd suggested, go into the front of the amp. There is a way to configure the INS/OUTS that will allow you to place the volume control anywhere in the effects chain you want.

Guitar > FX8 IN (PRE) > FX8 OUT (PRE) L/MONO > FX8 IN (POST) L > FX8 OUT (POST) L > Amplifier input.

I use the Global Volume and have found it extremely useful keeping the Volume pedal between the PRE and POST effects (POST IN). Placing the volume there keeps it from rolling off any gain like a guitar volume control and keeps time based effects tails going when they are placed POST. It also eliminates the hiss from drive pedals when they are on reducing the need for higher Noise Gate settings.

Thank you for this info.
I will try this setup.
Hope to get answer from fender, I want all in the same box without any pedals.

The footswitch just shorts the signals to ground via the sleeve. The Vibrato side shorts the tip to the sleeve and the Reverb side shorts the ring to the sleeve. There's no extra switching or logic circuitry used. It just sends the LFO signal for the trem circuit or the wet signal from the reverb circuit to ground so you don't hear them.

Here's a snip from the schematic:
Capture.JPG

The Gray wire goes to the reverb return path and the white wire goes to the vibrato LFO.

Reactions: Rex
Thanks,
So no worry to connect :)
Now I need to use two relays to have the vibrato and reverb working?
Or can I do it with one relay? And how it’s going to activate both on the same switch, or do I need to use two switches?

You can use scenes to control the ring and tip contacts of one relay input independently, but if you want to use a footswitch for each function, you'll have to use a TRS to dual TS adapter and use both relay inputs.

Well I finally got an answer from fender for this amp and here it is:

Hello,

Not sure what short to sleeve is referring to, but the connection for the amp is TRS or "Tip Ring Sleeve". Have a great day!

Is it helpful cause I didn’t understand this answer?

I posted a similar question about controller Fender Rev and Trem with the FX8. I analyzed schematics and concluded that it could possibly damage the FX8. Any time voltages are involved, unless I can determine how much current might be flowing through the leg when grounded, I don't do it. I recommend that you don't either.

Well I finally got an answer from fender for this amp and here it is:

Hello,

Not sure what short to sleeve is referring to, but the connection for the amp is TRS or "Tip Ring Sleeve". Have a great day!

Is it helpful cause I didn’t understand this answer?
It means the guy at Fender didn't understand the question. ;)

I posted a similar question about controller Fender Rev and Trem with the FX8. I analyzed schematics and concluded that it could possibly damage the FX8. Any time voltages are involved, unless I can determine how much current might be flowing through the leg when grounded, I don't do it. I recommend that you don't either.
This isn’t what I wanted to hear :(
But still it’s better to know this then blow up my FX8

Well, so what should I do?
What is the right question to ask fender for a safe answer?
Quote the warning in the manual and ask which type of switching is used.

IMPORTANT! The relays of the FX8 are designed for use ONLY with amplifiers that use “short-to-sleeve” type switching. Do NOT connect the FX8 relays to the switch jacks of an amp that uses voltage differential switching or any other type of switching aside from short-to-sleeve, or serious damage can occur to both units. If you are not 100% sure, contact your amp manufacturer to determine whether your amp is compatible with short-to-sleeve switching. The FX8 relay jacks are compatible with TRS cables, TS cables, or TRS-to-dual-TS split cables. The relays are also fully isolated from the electrical ground of the FX8.
This warning is stern, because the last thing we want is for anyone to damage their amp or FX8. In fact, short-to-sleeve relay switched amps are quite common, and your amp may be perfectly compatible. We need to require you however, to understand how your amp works and make the right choices about connecting it to the FX8 relay jacks.
Your amp manufacturer should be able to help.

I send an email to fender with the manual warning and I hope I will get an answer,
They do not answer quickly,

The main reason I bought the FX8 and not the AX8 is because the relays, It will be sad not to use them.
Also I love my vibroverb 63 so I don’t need an amp modulation, bat if the FX8 didn’t have this relays I would buy an AX8,
So I really hope the relays will work with this amp

I send an email to fender with the manual warning and I hope I will get an answer,
They do not answer quickly,

The main reason I bought the FX8 and not the AX8 is because the relays, It will be sad not to use them.
Also I love my vibroverb 63 so I don’t need an amp modulation, bat if the FX8 didn’t have this relays I would buy an AX8,
So I really hope the relays will work with this amp
It's not a Fender issue. Fractal Support is who needs to give the thumbs up or down on this.

I agree,
Fractal should make a list for all supported Amps and not let as deal with this.
But still I didn’t saw any comments from them here.

It's not a Fender issue. Fractal Support is who needs to give the thumbs up or down on this.
I agree,
Fractal should make a list for all supported Amps and not let as deal with this.
But still I didn’t saw any comments from them here.

Sorry, totally disagree with this sentiment. Fractal has given it's thumbs up or down, use the FX8 relays with amps that employ short to sleeve switching only. With the number of amp manufacturers and models it is completely unreasonable to expect any company to compile and maintain such a list. I don't think Fractal is just covering their hind end here, I believe they truly want to make sure the user doesn't damage either piece of gear. There are too many stories of the level of service Fractal gives that lead me to believe they are anything but self-serving or lazy.

Back
Top Bottom