Is it still possible to overload the CPU on the III like you can on the II?

tabqwerty

Inspired
I was editing a simple patch on the II with two different amps, two different cabs, custom IRs, a drive pedal, compression, and some reverb and delay and it told me there wasn't enough space to do any more editing unless I deactivated some things.

Most of the time for me, the III feels unlimited. I do everything I wish and the meter still reads low CPU usage. It's awesome to realize you have room to grow. Most of the "pro artist" presets I've worked on have been in the range of 40–60%, and these are doing things that would have been impossible on the Axe-Fx II.

Other times, I lose track and find I have pushed it to the limit. I've become addicted to those huge 8-way plex detunes, and they're pretty hungry. I think Devin Townsend and Dweezil Zappa are going to have a contest to see who can cram more goodies into a single preset. Hahaha.

Does the CPU usage (on either device) account for all of the patches/presets simultaneously, or just by whichever one is running at the time?

I wouldn't think it would but....... will the FC's have any impact on the III's CPU?
Not as far as I can tell. Of course, using external controllers has some effect that depends on what you attach the controller to.

I was editing a simple patch on the II with two different amps, two different cabs, custom IRs, a drive pedal, compression, and some reverb and delay and it told me there wasn't enough space to do any more editing unless I deactivated some things.

You'd have no problem doing that on the Axe FX III. However, it can be overloaded. I had a preset with 2 comps, drive, phaser, flanger, 2 amps, cab, 2 choruses, rotary, enhancer, Multidelay, Delay (maybe 2?) and 2 reverbs. I tried to add a pitch shift block but didn't have enough CPU to do so.

Talk about first word problems! :D

Austin

Back
Top Bottom