Is it possible to use the smartphone to play backing tracks?

Omi994

Good morning friends ... I ask this question to more experienced users: I wanted to know if it was possible to connect the smartphone to the FM3 to play the backing tracks and be able to play without being able to connect the FM3 to the PC ... thanks to those who answer:D:D

Good morning friends ... I ask this question to more experienced users: I wanted to know if it was possible to connect the smartphone to the FM3 to play the backing tracks and be able to play without being able to connect the FM3 to the PC ... thanks to those who answer:D:D

Yes, the FM3 is a class compliant audio device, so just use a camera connection kit, which is a USB adapter, to connect your iphone to the FM3 usb b port.

thanks for the answers ... I have an android smatphone, so you advise me to use a usb c to usb b cable and then connect it to the usb b of the fm3?

I've tried USB-C from my iPad, but had no joy!
I've found that knock-off camera adapters can be spotty. I had one that just wasn't stable. When I switched to a branded Apple one, it was rock-solid.

You can use 1/8” to 1/4” stereo cable from your phone into Input 2 L/R.

You have to put input 2 block into every preset you plan to use the backing tracks with though. You can use pitch shift block to drop the recordings too if they aren’t in the same key as your guitar is tuned, or vice versa.

I have an old apple wifi extender box plugged into my audio interface to wirelessly stream music from ios devices via 1/8" to 1/4" - works great.

I have an old apple wifi extender box plugged into my audio interface to wirelessly stream music from ios devices via 1/8" to 1/4" - works great.
I still have several Airport Expresses. Turn any speaker into an AirPlay speaker :).

Can this be set globally or do you have to rework every preset with IN2 ?
You have to edit every preset if you use analog input. That's the advantage to using USB, there's no preset editing required. USB is probably the best option if all you want to do is play along with the backing track. If instead you want to process the audio of the backing track in the AxeFX, then you have to bring it in through an analog input, since there's generally no way to change the usb channel from the phone.

Reactions: Ole
That should work fine. Maybe a problem with your cable?

I've found that knock-off camera adapters can be spotty. I had one that just wasn't stable. When I switched to a branded Apple one, it was rock-solid.

Oddly enough after updating my iPad to the latest and greatest it's started working! Not a clue what's changed, cables and adapters area all the same... Either way, i'll take it! :cool:

Oddly enough after updating my iPad to the latest and greatest it's started working! Not a clue what's changed, cables and adapters area all the same... Either way, i'll take it! :cool:
Run with the wind!

I do it all the time. I have input 2 in all of my live show presets. Using a !/8 inch out from my ipad sometimes my iphone. audio will drop when you change presets. Sometimes i use the usb out of my ipad to the usb in on the FM3 and or FM9 and there are no drop outs when changing presets. But i have to bend down to adjust the level of playback. This is my preferred way but i do have the in 2 blobk in all of my live show presets just incase the adaptor gets wonky. But both ways work great.

I do this every week on my tuesday night live streams. And house concerts clinics and solo shows. When i play with my trio I use it with an app to pla back intros and sound effects.

Try it. You'll like it. :)

I do it all the time. I have input 2 in all of my live show presets. Using a !/8 inch out from my ipad sometimes my iphone. audio will drop when you change presets. Sometimes i use the usb out of my ipad to the usb in on the FM3 and or FM9 and there are no drop outs when changing presets. But i have to bend down to adjust the level of playback. This is my preferred way but i do have the in 2 blobk in all of my live show presets just incase the adaptor gets wonky. But both ways work great.

I do this every week on my tuesday night live streams. And house concerts clinics and solo shows. When i play with my trio I use it with an app to pla back intros and sound effects.

Try it. You'll like it. :)
Wait a sec, there's a way to play audio through the USB on the FM? I've been looking for a solution to trigger audio samples during performances and this would be a killer work-around until I organized a foot-switchable option.

Wait a sec, there's a way to play audio through the USB on the FM? I've been looking for a solution to trigger audio samples during performances and this would be a killer work-around until I organized a foot-switchable option.
Yep. I just plug my Samsung s22 into the FM3 USB port and press play. That is when I'm not running Bluetooth capable monitors.

Hey there

You have Samsung Dex right? You can use Dex to remotely connect to a windows machine. I use an older 10' Surface tablet to connect with. The tablet is usb connected to the fractal and has the usb driver. Just connect with wireless Dex to the tablet and you can stream all content from your phone (or tablet) without using input2 or changing anything in your presets. Either headphone or monitors connected to out 1 will have usb sound.

I also use the tablet for simple adjustments in axe edit.. works great Same cable, Same setup.

Cheers 🍻

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom