Is it possible to have stereo stage and not create issues for FOH

shep

Inspired
I have a Axe Fx III mk ii and 2 Laney LFR 212s on the way. Plan is to play Pat Travers music live. I find stereo for mod fx (chorus/ flanger) especially Strymon Lex Leslie is a must for the biggest stage sound being 3 piece. This is rehearsing only thus far in a 25x20 room using 2 Elis 8s about 6 feet apart , with vocal monitors only. I don't want to strap problems onto FOH but the feel and sound onstage is very different in mono. Not sure if the Laney's will improve mono sound or not.

I'm looking for options to a possible happy compromise for all. Not sure it exists. The 2 units option is off the table.. Thanks much!

Why not run stereo to your monitors and collapse it to mono with a direct box for foh?
Thanks much for chimin' in. The monitors I mentioned are vocals only for rehearsing. The Laney LFRs each have a link out 1/4" to feed another LFR cabinet. Is that what I should sum? Will it cause phase issues for FOH summing a true L/R signal?

Thanks much for chimin' in. The monitors I mentioned are vocals only for rehearsing. The Laney LFRs each have a link out 1/4" to feed another LFR cabinet. Is that what I should sum? Will it cause phase issues for FOH summing a true L/R signal?
I meant run output l/r into a di, collapse it to mono for foh.

Then run output 2, l to one cab, r to another. So your monitors on stage are stereo, but foh is mono.

There are a lot of ways to skin this cat, this was just an idea where you keep your rig in stereo and either let foh collapse it or do it yourself with a stereo to mono di.

Thank you. I wish I had a way to test it myself. Just running a mic straight in a powered monitor with 2 daised for bass n drummer.

Depending on how sophisticated your presets are (CPU usage), you could run two parallel lines on the grid.

One to Out 1 Stereo or summed mono... FOH
One to Out 2 Stereo or summed mono... Stage

Depending on how sophisticated your presets are (CPU usage), you could run two parallel lines on the grid.

One to Out 1 Stereo or summed mono... FOH
One to Out 2 Stereo or summed mono... Stage
Unfortunately about 75-80%.

why not use 'copy output 1 to 2'?
1 or 2 to foh and 2 or 1 to laneys / personal monitoring. works fine for me and my cpu% is close to the danger zone

I sure appreciate getting options from you all. It's a blessing to be part of a super helpful community.

Unless FOH is a mono mix I would just make sure the FOH and stage are the same with respect to L and R and you shouldn't have any issues. Also, if the cab separation on stage is too wide the effect you are going for will be lost. I'm guessing one cab on either side of the drummer?

If your FOH is mono I would probably just sent one side of the image (the dominant side) to it and let the FOH guy manage it.

The simplest way to do this is, for example, use Output 1 in stereo to whatever you're using to monitor your AxeFx on stage. In settings - I/O - Audio - Output 2 Configuration: Mode= Sum L&R and copy output 1=ON and send Output 2 to FOH.

Last edited:
Unless FOH is a mono mix I would just make sure the FOH and stage are the same with respect to L and R and you shouldn't have any issues. Also, if the cab separation on stage is too wide the effect you are going for will be lost. I'm guessing one cab on either side of the drummer?

If your FOH is mono I would probably just sent one side of the image (the dominant side) to it and let the FOH guy manage it.
Not that wide. If I'm stage R, one angled to hit me and just left of me, the 2nd to give me a little more spread if I move toward the center. I'm looking to make sure if i move away from the mic to play that I don't lose the frequency response.

Back
Top Bottom