Is it for me?

Nazgul666

I'm primarily a live player. I play a 6505 plus in a hard rock/metal band. We play loud. As we add more songs, I find myself needing a little more versatility so I have been doing a lot of research on the triad is and rack multi effects units.

So as the Axe hit my radar to use for all my effects as part of a triaxis rig, I'm thinking I could save a lot of dough by just using the axe as my entire solution

So. . .do you think the Axe FX 2 through a power amp and 4x12 cab will satisfy someone who has been used to a cranked 6505 behind them?

It's just that the idea of being able to go from a scooped Mark Series amp for Master of Puppets to a Marshall tone for Flight of Icarus in our set with the touch of a foot switch is REALLY enticing!

Thanks,

Mike

What Scott said.

it will take a little time to under stand what you have, but once you compare and contrast with what you had, you will realize that you have a lot more than you ever thought you would need.

For primarily a loud-metal-live player I think AXE with poweramp + 4x12 guitar cab is a good solution (at least to start with) rather than roam down the FRFR rabbit hole chasing that "old live tone feel" that you are used to.

The beauty of the Axe is that you can tweak it to your liking and that's not true the other way around (if you only have an amp).

You will not be disappointed.

Everyone here is probably a big fan so they might all say Yes go for it!!
I would say, if possible try it before. It does give a bit of different impression playing live and for some it might take time to get used to it. If you try it and you're convinced that you can go for it for sure, the rest will please you and more.

I'd say order one, try it with your current poweramp and cab and then decide if you want to venture into FRFR for more versatility.

Also, the 6505 is not simulated. However I am certain you can get very close with a bit of tweaking and equalizing using a similar amp.
In this case, it is good to learn about how the 6505 works from the inside so you can use the axe fx to recreate a similar circuit.

Hi Nazgul

I would say, from my experience, probably yes,
BUT

There are several ways, you can use the AxeFxII.
It depends on your likings, setup, and shurely your ears.
The unit itself sounds fantastic, but for me it depends mainly a bit, if you are the only guitarist in your band, or the other guitarist still plays over his real amp.
If you are the only one, that plays guitar in your band, it will be great, also if the other guitarist uses the AxeFxII too.
But if the 2nd guitarist plays his real amp, and you play the axe over a Solidstate poweramp into your 4x12, then from my experience, there is still a little bit presence/pressure missing, that makes the axe feel a little little bit like it is not that present compared to the other amp. But when you play it over a Tube poweramp (e.g. best to go directly into the fx return of your 6505+), then it is the same as a real amp. With SS-amps, there is not much missing, but for trained ears still hearable/feelable.
This as from my experience with my bands, and firmware 13.02.

So I would recommend to try it out.
You will be fascinated from the sounds coming out of that black box! But don't sell your 6505+ yet, so if you find out, it is not for you, you still have your amp, and can sell the axe with not much loss of money, as they are still 2nd hand very well priced. (is that the right word/sentence?)

Play with the setups! Try directly into your amp&cab, if possible try a Solidstate amp, try also the 4 cable mode, and also for recording it is great, as you can record directly into the desk, and that sounds amazing! Since I have the axe, I do all recordings only with the axe, it is that good.
Like this, you will find out if you like it or not.

Considering the triaxis is roughly the same price tag as the Axe, I'd say you can't go wrong with the Axe, especially if you want to use a real guitar cabinet.

Like everyone said, it takes a lot of time to figure out. Do not expect to plug this thing in and expect perfection. There are so many parameters that effect what you hear from home, to practice, to gig that you will spend time tweaking. Yes, a very flexible system but with a learning curve.

Joe.

Guys. Thanks so much. Quick responses! This bodes well for having access to good information!

So if I am going to use a real cabinet and push air. Would the tube power amp be the way to go?

Thanks,

Mike

If you use it with your current rig as a preamp you'll be very excited and have tons of effects in the usual between pre and power amp placement. If you do this first I think you will keep it.

And yes with a real cab tube PA sound wonderful.

I think its a little "tighter" to use a solid state power amp, like the Matrix stuff, or an older MOSFET amp if you have one.

Tube power amps can work too, but they sound a little "looser" to me and noticeably vintage.

With a good solid state power amp, you can get some *tight* sounding rhythm with a cranked 4x12.

Had different amps, power amps, TriAxis and many MANY other preamps and many multi FX….
All gone!
I'm running my II into a Matrix power amp and @ home into 2 2x12" cabs and @ the studio / live into a 4x12"
We play rock / metal….sound and volume is a blast!

Yes, you should try it and give yourself some time to adjust and learn the way it will work for you the best.
Good luck.

The only weakness for me is how how versatility the unit is, which is one of its biggest strengths in my humble opinion. There's no limit to what you can do with the axe fx. It's worth every penny and more. Support is awesome and you can't best when the man himself takes time out of his busy schedule to help out and char in the forum.

Do it!!!!!

Here's my honest take. Granted, I'm fairly new with the Axe-FX myself so I may be doing some things wrong but FWIW...

My previous amp was (is, I still have it) a 1984 Marshall JCM 800 through a Mesa 4X12. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING will ever match the balls that thing has. It's just flat out ridiculous. Granted, it does one HELL of a trick, but the downside is that it's pretty much a one-trick pony.

Enter the Axe FX II...

Tone matching alone is worth the price of admission. I have a Black Sabbath tribute band and I'm able to absolutely nail each of the many tones Iommi has had throughout Sabbath's career. The matching really is that good. With the 800 I can get a decent approximation, but in the end I still sound like I'm playing Sabbath through an 800.

I've run my Axe FRFR through a QSC K12 as well as through a Matrix GT1000FX power amp into my Mesa 4X12. When I go FRFR, the overall sound quality is absolutely first rate. However, you just aren't moving the same amount of air as a 4X12, so it's not gonna knock you out of your shoes. When I go through the 4X12, I get some of that back, but it still just doesn't have that... feel... that you get from a truly monster tube head. To me anyway, the sound quality through the Maxtrix -> 4X12 is first rate. It just feels a little... thin... compared to the JCM 800. Oddly, I tend to prefer the sound with cab modelling left ON vs off. I get a lot more of that presence back.

But what do I get? I get tone matching. I get every conceivable head, power amp, cabinet, microphone and effect known to mankind. You literally can make almost ANY sound you want with this thing. Plus, the bulk of my live rig is now... one rack mount and a small QSC K12 PA. That's it. That's all I need to lug around. Every person that I show this to thinks it's the most amazing thing they've ever seen. And in it is.

What I lost in the way of that Marshall punch is more than made up for in flexibility... and convenience. Don't have your expectations too high about getting that "punch in the gut" that you're used to with your rig. It will take some getting used to at first, but after a bit of playing with it I think you'll come to like the Axe FX and its own sonic qualities.

In the end, it comes down to this. I have my Axe sitting in my room right next to my 800. I could play either one I want anytime. Since getting the Axe I've only fired up the JCM a couple of times. I'm having a ball with the Axe.

Here's my honest take. Granted, I'm fairly new with the Axe-FX myself so I may be doing some things wrong but FWIW...

My previous amp was (is, I still have it) a 1984 Marshall JCM 800 through a Mesa 4X12. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING will ever match the balls that thing has. It's just flat out ridiculous. Granted, it does one HELL of a trick, but the downside is that it's pretty much a one-trick pony.

Enter the Axe FX II...

Tone matching alone is worth the price of admission. I have a Black Sabbath tribute band and I'm able to absolutely nail each of the many tones Iommi has had throughout Sabbath's career. The matching really is that good. With the 800 I can get a decent approximation, but in the end I still sound like I'm playing Sabbath through an 800.

I've run my Axe FRFR through a QSC K12 as well as through a Matrix GT1000FX power amp into my Mesa 4X12. When I go FRFR, the overall sound quality is absolutely first rate. However, you just aren't moving the same amount of air as a 4X12, so it's not gonna knock you out of your shoes. When I go through the 4X12, I get some of that back, but it still just doesn't have that... feel... that you get from a truly monster tube head. To me anyway, the sound quality through the Maxtrix -> 4X12 is first rate. It just feels a little... thin... compared to the JCM 800. Oddly, I tend to prefer the sound with cab modelling left ON vs off. I get a lot more of that presence back.

But what do I get? I get tone matching. I get every conceivable head, power amp, cabinet, microphone and effect known to mankind. You literally can make almost ANY sound you want with this thing. Plus, the bulk of my live rig is now... one rack mount and a small QSC K12 PA. That's it. That's all I need to lug around. Every person that I show this to thinks it's the most amazing thing they've ever seen. And in it is.

What I lost in the way of that Marshall punch is more than made up for in flexibility... and convenience. Don't have your expectations too high about getting that "punch in the gut" that you're used to with your rig. It will take some getting used to at first, but after a bit of playing with it I think you'll come to like the Axe FX and its own sonic qualities.

In the end, it comes down to this. I have my Axe sitting in my room right next to my 800. I could play either one I want anytime. Since getting the Axe I've only fired up the JCM a couple of times. I'm having a ball with the Axe.

This is good info as I played in a Sabbath Tribute for years. I also currently play in a Dio Tribute!!!

So I do want to feel the punch and move air though. That's why I'm thinking if I grabbed like a Mesa 2:90 or a Marshall 9200, that would help.

My other issue is where do I buy this? Do I buy an Axe Fx 2? I don't think I need the XL as I'm primarily a live player and don't need a lot of crazy options. Does that make sense?

This is good info as I played in a Sabbath Tribute for years. I also currently play in a Dio Tribute!!!

So I do want to feel the punch and move air though. That's why I'm thinking if I grabbed like a Mesa 2:90 or a Marshall 9200, that would help.

My other issue is where do I buy this? Do I buy an Axe Fx 2? I don't think I need the XL as I'm primarily a live player and don't need a lot of crazy options. Does that make sense?

Another Sabbath/Iommi fan! Nice! :eagerness:

If you do use a power amp that colors the sound, make sure you turn power amp modelling off in the Axe.

As far as the FX II vs XL, I personally don't feel like I'm missing anything with the II, YMMV.

I'm pretty sure the normal way to get one is directly from Fractal through their website.

Back
Top Bottom