Is it a no-no to crank Axe and studio monitors?

Johnkenn

Inspired
Have some Amphion One18s since 2015 and I’ve cranked them with the Axe for a long time…but blew the left side of my amp plus the tweeter in my left speaker. I mean - it was loud, but not Deluxe on 4-5 loud.

Should I not go over a certain volume in the future? I wouldn’t particularly think the axe is any more “dangerous” than Drum transients, etc.

the owners manual of the Amphion doesn't give any specs for max SPL or anything like that. but yes, playing speakers louder than they should be can damage them. generally keep the speaker volumes at unity (if it's powered) and don't overdrive its input.

My Wharfdale monitors went toes up after over 20 years of service. I'm pretty sure it was from leaving them on for months or years continuously. Not the level I was sending them. Which was a lot 🤣

One tweeter started crackle-acking and one side was lower in level. They had a good run.

I replaced them with some Adam t7s and it is sounding a lot better around here. I kept my cheap powered sub though. It still going after almost 30 years.

You should be able to run a normal audio signal to the monitor at full volume for a prolonged period of time without fear of damaging it.

I think you just got unlucky.
Yeah - I've had them 9 years and been abusing them in various ways...I was cranking it, so just could have been time

Studio speakers should be fused. Add a fuse to the speaker wire. Better to blow a fuse than a tweeter.
Jim Carrey Reaction GIF

🤯 This, good sir, is a fantastic idea, and one which I will promptly deploy myself. Thank you for the idea. I can't believe I was today-years-old before ever hearing about this trick, or thinking of it myself.

Mid and near field monitors don't seem to put out very much volume. I think a mains monitor like the Adam S6X or Genelec 8381A are designed to handle high volumes, but they also cost $50,000+ for a pair.
Yep, I used to work for Augspurger, and the smallest speaker we made at that time started at like $36k a pair. And they went up from there. But talk about LOUD. Reminded me of the old Maxell ads.

What is the SPL that you are monitoring at using an SPL meter?

If you are not measuring that, then feeling the power may result in enduring the constant ringing in your ears or silence from deafness later in life.

Most high quality studio monitoring is designed to deliver 90 to 95 dB SPL across its lifespan. That should be plenty to feel the power and still protect your ears.

Usually it's transients at really loud volume that will fry the tweeter. An inline fast blow fuse of very low amperage should protect against such an event.

Back
Top Bottom