Is Guthrie Govan the Best* player?

I have only head separated pieces on Youtube, here and there. Though I find the technique astonishing, I haven't been catched by any particular melody of song. However, when I've recently heard Nick Jonstson for the first time, the Remarkably Human Album, I was catched by the melodies and I could not stop until I heard the whole album.

As I've said, I haven't heard much. What recording do you recommend me to listen, with nice melodies and compositions?
The whole of Erotic Cakes is great!

His solos on Steven Wilson's The Raven That Refused to Sing are outstanding. As they are on Hand. Cannot. Erase.

The Aristocrats stuff is a bit more eclectic... But there's lots of good stuff there. Here are some of my favorites:

Desert Tornado
Pig's Day Off
Flatlands
Bad Asteroid
Through the Flower
Pressure Relief
Terrible Lizard
Last Orders

I have only head separated pieces on Youtube, here and there. Though I find the technique astonishing, I haven't been catched by any particular melody of song. However, when I've recently heard Nick Jonstson for the first time, the Remarkably Human Album, I was catched by the melodies and I could not stop until I heard the whole album.

As I've said, I haven't heard much. What recording do you recommend me to listen, with nice melodies and compositions?

I like his solo album the best compared to any of The Aristocrats album. It's called "Erotic Cakes"...check it out.

According to what I've read on Youtube comments, he can't be any good - he uses a 'scrunchy' on his nut, my mate doesn't need that at all - therefore he's better

;)

(Joke!)

I still think Shawn Lane might be the greatest of the shreddy "can-do-anything" guitarists!
He could play anything but was also very melodic.
But it goes without saying Govan is one of the best!

I still think Shawn Lane might be the greatest of the shreddy "can-do-anything" guitarists!
He could play anything but was also very melodic.
But it goes without saying Govan is one of the best!
I remember buying Powers of Ten on cassette when it was released at the local record store (remember those?). I let Kerry Livgren hear it and never saw that copy again.

I've listened to "Erotic Cakes", and it is not my piece of cake. I didn't find any memorable and nice melody that catched my attention. Only difficult guitar phrases and complex patterns. Worth of admiration, from the clinical point of view, but not what I enjoy listening right now. It is just my personal taste.

I've listened to "Erotic Cakes", and it is not my piece of cake. I didn't find any memorable and nice melody that catched my attention. Only difficult guitar phrases and complex patterns. Worth of admiration, from the clinical point of view, but not what I enjoy listening right now. It is just my personal taste.
Just curious, but what instrumental guitar music do you like?

Obviously everyone has different tastes :)

I’d like to see Guthrie trade licks with Josh smith on a blues jam. Josh has destroyed every player I’ve seen him jam with. Imho ofcouse ;) that being said, if anyone could out blues him, it’d have to be Guthrie.

Just curious, but what instrumental guitar music do you like?

Obviously everyone has different tastes :)
I am 53 years old, so my likes have been changing a bit through time. Some of my all times favorite guitarists are Blackmore, Gilmour, Steve Hacket, Steve Rothery, Andrew Latimer, Roine Stolt, Nick Barret, Jason Becker, Firkins, V.Moore... Also the older works of Vai and Satriani (some of their latest recordings give me headaches, and the same goes for Petruchi)

I have recently discovered Nick Johnston, and I have instantly felt identified with his music. I’ve even bought his backing tracks and guitar transcriptions. But I haven’t had the same reaction with Govan. I suspect that the difference is in the melodies chosen as a center of the composition. I cannot find an immediate connection with any specific melody on the Erotic Cakes album. No love at first heard with any particular memorable melody. Furthermore, some fast tempos and weird licks are stressful to my brain. Johnston also plays some crazy licks, but they are an ornament to complement a central theme with a nice melody. In other words: I can find a place to relax the mind enjoying the music. My mind doesn't find rest with what I've heard so far from Govan. Too stressful from the beginning to the end. Perhaps I am getting old :)

Last edited:
I am 53 years old, so my likes have been changing a bit through time. Some of my all times favorite guitarists are Blackmore, Gilmour, Steve Hacket, Steve Rothery, Andrew Latimer, Roine Stolt, Nick Barret, Jason Becker, Firkins, V.Moore... Also the older works of Vai and Satriani (some of their latest recordings give me headaches, and the same goes for Petruchi)

I have recently discovered Nick Johnston, and I have instantly felt identified with his music. I’ve even bought his backing tracks and guitar transcriptions. But I haven’t had the same reaction with Govan. I suspect that the difference is in the melodies chosen as a center of the composition. I cannot find an immediate connection with any specific melody on the Erotic Cakes album. No love at first heard with any particular memorable melody. Furthermore, some fast tempos and weird licks are stressful to my brain. Johnston also plays some crazy licks, but they are an ornament to complement a central theme with a nice melody. In other words: I can find a place to relax the mind enjoying the music. My mind doesn't find rest with what I've heard so far from Govan. Too stressful from the beginning to the end. Perhaps I am getting old :)
Nice to meet another Firkins fan!

I'm 51 so we probably share a lot of common influences.

The more recent Satch stuff (with Mike Kenneally in the band) has won me back. Much more focused on strong melodies and songs... There were some middle years albums that I just didn't connect with. Kind of felt like Joe was phoning it in.

I've also recently (literally a week ago!) discovered Nick Johnston and really enjoy the Remarkably Human album.

I suspect based on some of your prog influences that you'd enjoy the Steven Wilson stuff with Guthrie.

Someone I've become a huge fan of over the last several years is Joe Robinson. Both as a singer and instrumentalist, he is amazing. Loads of lovely melodies.

I understand where you're coming from on the "relaxing the brain" thing.

I personally really like what Guthrie does... But I understand it's not for everyone :D

@Project Mayhem

That was a great show (although I have to say I enjoyed Paul Gilbert even more). I didn't realize you were in my neck of the woods...it would be great to get together and compare settings, etc.

Back to the topic on hand, I agree that his playing seems totally effortless. The Drummer and Bass Player were outrageously good. The opening band that is on tour with them ( I can't remember their name, but with the female bass player) were awesome as well.[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom