Is G3 worth risking my gig this weekend?

tfodor

Inspired
Hey guys,

Have arguably one of the biggest gigs of my life this weekend, BUT ( a big one) firmware 18 seems so damn tempting. Is it worth it? How stable are we talking here? I've seen a couple people post that they haven't had any problems with Axe Edit either...

No. It's stupid to upgrade and risk a malfunction. Also your levels will be all over the place after updating. FW 18 is a little better than 17.04, if it wasn't labeled G3 we wouldn't be having this discussion.

stable, but your tone will probably be different.

previous firmware doesn't sound bad. if it's really one of the biggest gigs of your life, wouldn't you want to show up and play it not worrying (or creating in your mind) a problem with a beta version and possibly re-doing all your tones?

just my opinion of course, but when i am in the middle of gigs or sessions, i don't change a dang thing until i'm done. :)

Don't do it. Step away from your Axe Fx man. Seriously. This is a MAJOR firmware revision...I'm not sure why you'd even consider it. If you do, please don't come on here and start crying about how much different your patches sound, and you never should have done it so close to your gig...seriously dude, just don't.

Pffft. Go for it. I've been gigging it in every beta so far and zero issues. Real world = it doesn't hit public beta unless it's stable. I've had to 'retweak' nothing. Everything works. Solidly. If you use the rotary, be sure to check it - it is different.

People on this forum can be sincere and are indeed correct that it's simpler to just wait. But in all honesty from a guy that gigs in the real world just like you do, there is nothing to worry about here. It sounds better. It feels better. It is therefore, IMHO, better. Better is better. Enjoy the progress. Live in the moment.

Leave the worry at the doorstep for the people that worry. It's a simple process to 'roll it back' assuming you back up everything should it somehow not work. But you won't have to do that (though you *should* always backup first, no matter what).

it's no more scary than any other update honestly. same things to work on as always - preset levels, amp tone. you'll have to turn off any rotary blocks in any presets. really par for the course.

i actually would just say go for it, but if something goes wrong, you'd be yelling at me :)

i've used the axe since 2007 and i think only 1 time did a FW update break something for me, something to do with a volume block or something with the Ultra. i reported it and cliff fixed it that day pretty much.

always backup first. then load the new thing. PLAY THROUGH ALL PERFORMANCE PATCHES. too different? roll back. :)

I'm gigging this weekend with it, after checking
> patch levels are ok relative to each other
> patch levels aren't clipping
> tone balance is ok at gig volume (which I do by settings a slightly muddy tone at medium levels at home)
> all effects work as expected (including the new rotary)
> no unexpected behaviour (haven't seen any yet)

I wouldn't update. I love the new firmware but almost all of my presets are defaulting with the rotary on. Also a few of them are overpowering and the red light coming on. With that said, firmware sounds awesome. Just wouldn't risk it.

I'll straddle:

It depends.

If you have 3 'go to' amps, simple presets that are all that you use for gigging, I'd say there is no reason NOT to upgrade. If you have controller's galore, and custom scene levels out the wing-wang, then it's not worth the stress and effort to get it right before an important gig. If you decide to upgrade: back up EVERYTHING. Once you upgrade, go through every permutation of what you might do on stage to stress test it (which is what you should do even if it didn't have 'beta' in the title.)

IMO 3 days is plenty of time to get things right. If you don't make significant progress in the 1st hour with it, then roll back, restore presets, and no harm done.

R

Nope nope nope nope nope. The 18 beta is wonderful, but so is 17.04… stay focused on the gig with your existing tools for now. You'll have all the time you need after the gig to explore the beta at your leisure, instead of in a state of panic.

Rushing it would be like guzzling a bottle of 50-year-old whiskey, instead of savoring it a sip at a time. Don't waste it!

Don't do it! This might even be the time when gremlins sneak in and your EPROM gets corrupted and that would really not be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have time to go through and adjust everything and then check all your presets then why not? Just don't get crazy and forget to backup just in case.

I'd say your fine to update so long as you back up first so you can restore if anything go's wrong. 18 is simply better. It feels and reacts better and if you buy some chance use a recto model holy cow they sound so good now. I'm not a recto guy I don't use one live but man they sound so pist off and mean right now. I prefer my axe version over my buddy single recto......just sayin.

You should have no problems, and the better tones will be inspiring. Just check the relative volumes between your patches, as well as between separate amp models in your scenes, so you have no surprises on gig day.

Back
Top Bottom