Is anyone running mismatched Cab types in their live setup?

Hi, I'm a recent purchaser of an Axe FX 2 XL. So far my setup is a Matrix GT1000FX in to a Mesa 2x12 V30 Rectifier Cabinet.

I really enjoy it, however I want to add a second 2x12. I'm torn between running a second Mesa 2x12, or getting something different. Part of me wants something different, to give more options (I don't always need 2 cabs, also I'm quite interested in eventually creating my own IRs).

My question is - if I get a different cabinet, how much will it matter if the resonant frequency of the cabs differ for live usage? My worry is I'll get a good punch from one cab but have to compromise on the other? Or if I stick with speakers of a similar spec will it not matter too much? I'm confused!

I quite fancy a larger (taller) cabinet, so am looking at Montage Pro 2x12 or a Zilla Fatboy. It is likely I'd fit V30s, which would be standard Chinese V30s (tonally slightly different to Mesa V30s). Or a V30 and something else, like a Creamback H75. I'm assuming either option would have a slightly different resonant frequency to the Rectifier 2x12, unless I'm not understanding how the cabinet dimensions play in to resonant frequencies. Is it just about the speaker resonant frequency?

Any thoughts, advice, or experience is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Edit - title is incorrect, both cabs would be the same type and would be closed back 2x12 cabs, dimensions and speakers are what would be different.

Well, using 2 cabs at one time is certainly a matter of mixing them properly, the same as using 2 mics for mic'ing a cab. Differences among cones are enough for determining a difference in the overall sound regardless the cabinets' size. Your concern is right anyway, they should somehow complement each other for the best results, specially because one of them could just add a nuance you do not like to the overall sound. In this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yuw0GD9QK9E) the guy tries different Dragoon cabs, and then some combinations. It might be of ispiration for you :) The guy talks a lot (Italians... LOL) but there are labels here and there to show what he's doing. I'd suggest you to try in the store various combinations to build a sound of yours, and above all to try them at stage volume, otherwise all your perception will be twisted!

The point of getting the XL is the IR slots, so why defeat the purpose? Go FRFR and then you can do anything on any patch without limitations.

Hi, I'm a recent purchaser of an Axe FX 2 XL. So far my setup is a Matrix GT1000FX in to a Mesa 2x12 V30 Rectifier Cabinet.

I really enjoy it, however I want to add a second 2x12. I'm torn between running a second Mesa 2x12, or getting something different. Part of me wants something different, to give more options (I don't always need 2 cabs, also I'm quite interested in eventually creating my own IRs).

My question is - if I get a different cabinet, how much will it matter if the resonant frequency of the cabs differ for live usage? My worry is I'll get a good punch from one cab but have to compromise on the other? Or if I stick with speakers of a similar spec will it not matter too much? I'm confused!

I quite fancy a larger (taller) cabinet, so am looking at Montage Pro 2x12 or a Zilla Fatboy. It is likely I'd fit V30s, which would be standard Chinese V30s (tonally slightly different to Mesa V30s). Or a V30 and something else, like a Creamback H75. I'm assuming either option would have a slightly different resonant frequency to the Rectifier 2x12, unless I'm not understanding how the cabinet dimensions play in to resonant frequencies. Is it just about the speaker resonant frequency?

Any thoughts, advice, or experience is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Edit - title is incorrect, both cabs would be the same type and would be closed back 2x12 cabs, dimensions and speakers are what would be different.

Remember that you could set up 2 amp blocks the same (panned to each specific speaker) and alter the speaker resonance to match the speaker your using. Get the cabs and experiment how much the speaker resonance affects both cabs just using one amp block. It may well work but you have the option of setting an amp for each cab if needs be.

Remember that you could set up 2 amp blocks the same (panned to each specific speaker) and alter the speaker resonance to match the speaker your using. Get the cabs and experiment how much the speaker resonance affects both cabs just using one amp block. It may well work but you have the option of setting an amp for each cab if needs be.

Yes this would be a good idea on a patch basis. However I am using scenes and tend to have one distorted amp and one clean amp, scenes are giving me seamless switching which I'm enjoying.

I guees it is something I'll have to experiment with when I get a second cab. I'm thinking of sticking with V30s so the only real variable will be cab height, width and depth would be the same.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes this would be a good idea on a patch basis. However I am using scenes and tend to have one distorted amp and one clean amp, scenes are giving me seamless switching which I'm enjoying.

I guees it is something I'll have to experiment with when I get a second cab. I'm thinking of sticking with V30s so the only real variable will be cab height, width and depth would be the same.

Thanks for the replies.

Couldn't you use two amp blocks (as LightningBoy mentioned) and use the X/Y capability to switch between clean and dirty amps?
So 2 amps, both have a X-amp that is dirty, and the Y-amp is clean (on both blocks)

Back
Top Bottom