Is anyone having USB troubles with 18.02?

plyall

Power User
Folks -

I have a rig that has remained unchanged for quite a while (perhaps 3 years). It has been rock-solid for USB all this time, although I use a good powered hub by necessity. For the first time ever today, I started to see FractalBot time out. My unit has 18.02 loaded, and I was trying to load 18.03. I have rebooted my Mac and cycled power on the Axe-FxIII several times with no success. It almost looks as if USB is dead, and then once the Mac detected the Axe after a recycle! I tried, but at that point firmware transfers still fail.

Is there anyone else out there who is also experiencing this USB/KAKA/POOPOO stuff?

Any tips folks?

No. USB is handled by a separate processor. Firmware upgrades do not affect this processor. Hubs are notoriously problematic. Macs are notoriously problematic when connected to hubs because Macs update their software every 72 hours and break something.

No problems here either.

Based on experience supporting USB under MacOS, the likely culprit aside from cables or actual hardware trouble will be another device or driver. A good way to test this is to disconnect all MIDI or audio related devices, open the MIDI Studio window of audio MIDI setup, create a new empty configuration, and then connect the device you want to test -- Axe-Fx III in this case.

Thanks Cliff. If nothing changes in the firmware, that's a pretty compelling troubleshooting tip. I will try a direct line to the Mac, and do some shuffling of the other ports.

I know you're being tongue-in-cheek about Macs. It's easy to deselect auto-updates, and most savvy music users do this.

No problems here either.

Based on experience supporting USB under MacOS, the likely culprit aside from cables or actual hardware trouble will be another device or driver. A good way to test this is to disconnect all MIDI or audio related devices, open the MIDI Studio window of audio MIDI setup, create a new empty configuration, and then connect the device you want to test -- Axe-Fx III in this case.
Right now the AxeFxIII is greyed-out in the Audio & MIDI tool. I did power down the two MIDI keyboards that were connected, without any impact.

Right now the AxeFxIII is greyed-out in the Audio & MIDI tool. I did power down the two MIDI keyboards that were connected, without any impact.
Umm - never mind...

I came back to this thread to fall on my sword. Cliff nailed it first time out - it was the hub. Even though the ports seem to checkout, I bypassed the hub and connected directly to the rear of the Mac with great success.

Boo - hiss on me. I KNOW better than to make assumptions when troubleshooting. I kept thinking nothing had changed, but who knows - I still should have run the course.

Thanks to both Cliff and Matt for their valued input.

"because Macs update their software every 72 hours and break something"
Yeah, that was what I was reacting to because it's not fact to my knowledge, and I've been in IT for 35 years. If that was tongue in cheek, I simply missed the sarcasm. I switched to Mac's for home, music, and family about 6 years ago after getting tired of being tech support for family members, reminding them to update all the various drivers from various chip makers on their Windows machines and all that time wasting I did when we all ran Windows. Mac's just work for me and my use cases.

Regarding USB specifically, I run Caldigit TS3 Plus TB3 docking stations on my iMac and MacBook Pro, and have had Zero issues with these "hubs" in any use case. Quality of gear and cables makes a difference IMHO. $17 Amazon hubs may be fine for some uses I guess, just none of mine.

"because Macs update their software every 72 hours and break something"
Macs don't "update their software". If you have a solid system and don't want anything to change, go to system preferences and turn off automatic software update to keep it that way.

Right. I do no "auto" on any updates, as I prefer to be able to make the correlations if any problems happen after an update I install.

Macs don't "update their software". If you have a solid system and don't want anything to change, go to system preferences and turn off automatic software update to keep it that way.
Yes i'm totally with this. Never update unless forced to

Back
Top Bottom