is a single FRFR monitor enough?

hello,
I am a bedroom guitarist and unfortunately I don't have much time to play so I wouldn't say I am very good.
I play only at home for my own pleasure, at low volumes usualy.
I currently have a axe fx 2, a velocity 300 and a pair of home made cab.

My velocity 300 is having issues and I am looking to FRFR monitors, but I currently don't have a lot of money.

I would like to buy a used pair of yamaha hs50m, but I can't find them and I don't like to wait.
So, is it ok to buy only one new hs50m? I figured it wouldn't make a big difference and if anything I could buy another one later..
Am I wrong?

And if only one monitor can perform well, should I upgrade to hs80m or the 50m will be enough? (remember I play only at low volumes), and I will only need to listen to my playing, I am not mixing nor recording anything.

To sum up, is only one hs50m enough to play at low volumes?
thanks a lot

People have use one guitarcab for sooooo many years. Guitar in mono is the most usual thing.. I think you will be fine. Buy another one later for the stereo and mixing/music options :)

Is one speaker enough? Depends on how important stereo is to you. :)

I have a pair of HS50's and regret a bit to not have bought the HS80's instead. At this time i was a bit limited with space and needed something small and though the 50's will be ok, but for my taste the guitar sound on it's own is too thin and not warm enough. The missing Hz in the lower range is not really satisfying imo. If possible, you might be better off with the HS80's or another monitor with bigger speakers and a larger Hz range.

For guitar only i wouldn't bother to go mono first and add another one later. Playing through backing tracks in mono is maybe not that exciting, but temporarily ok i guess :)

I uses iems and one k12, k12 is purely for guitar interaction and people up front to hear some stage volume... lesson learned from the past.

All I remember is when I had 2 K10's as my main sound source. It was very underwhelming, it just didnt have any oomph without a good PA like a traditional cab has. Ive forgoed to using a traditional cab until I'm playing places that have a PA that will do it justice.

Yes it is enough. The only reason that I use two is that, as a wise man (Clarky) once told me, digital really sparkles in stereo.

I would recommend that if you've forked out for a great unit like the AF2, then you should be looking at investing in an equally great power amp and speaker system.

Yes it is enough. The only reason that I use two is that, as a wise man (Clarky) once told me, digital really sparkles in stereo.

I would recommend that if you've forked out for a great unit like the AF2, then you should be looking at investing in an equally great power amp and speaker system.

100 times this.

You've not really heard your AF2 until you have run it in stereo. Personally, I now run a pair of CFR wedges most of the time, when I'm lazy and can't be bothered to set it up stereo in the house after a gig, I really notice the difference. When you run stereo again, its like "wow, I'm a rock star" and the grin just gets wider and wider :)

So yes, in shortm it is worth the time and trouble and money to run stereo, its just surrounds you and sucks you in!

100 times this.

You've not really heard your AF2 until you have run it in stereo. Personally, I now run a pair of CFR wedges most of the time, when I'm lazy and can't be bothered to set it up stereo in the house after a gig, I really notice the difference. When you run stereo again, its like "wow, I'm a rock star" and the grin just gets wider and wider :)

So yes, in shortm it is worth the time and trouble and money to run stereo, its just surrounds you and sucks you in!

There's a lot to be said for playing in stereo; especially at bedroom levels. One of my favorite features in the Axe-Fx II is the ability to dial in room ambience in the CAB block (Mark Day is a master at this). I'm using a pair of HS80Ms and the sound is just huge!

One you try stereo, you'll never go back. It sounds so good. If you don't, you are missing out on a lot of the tonal colors the Axe-FXII can do.

When you have played in stereo for a long time, it´s refreshing to play in mono ;)

Plain ol´amp stuff.

One will work, two will give a wider stereo spread.

For more low end with HS50 or 80s, a HS10W can be added.

Back
Top Bottom