Is a power conditioner really necessary with axfx?

A good practice is, if you go away or bad weather is coming… unplug it from the outlet. Then nothing can happen to your gear.
Don't believe it. Your gear is safer when it's unplugged, but a nearby lightning strike can still take it out.

Don't believe it. Your gear is safer when it's unplugged, but a nearby lightning strike can still take it out.
would a nearby tactical nuke fry electronics not plugged in? Serious question. I just want to know. I know they’ll kill the electronics in cars and whatnot. What about circuits not powered on or connected to power?

would a nearby tactical nuke fry electronics not plugged in? Serious question. I just want to know. I know they’ll kill the electronics in cars and whatnot. What about circuits not powered on or connected to power?
An EMP would probably fry it… a nuke wouldn’t matter anymore since it would take out everything

An EMP would probably fry it… a nuke wouldn’t matter anymore since it would take out everything
Like if the nuke hit and you weren’t in the blast zone and were a survivable distance away but still close enough for the EMP to do some damage. So, just the EMP in range of the gear will fry it, even though it’s not plugged in?

Just read in the 60s the USA tested a high altitude bomb that knocked out street lights and other electronics in Hawaii, nearly 1000 miles away.

Both lightning strikes and nuclear weapons can induce currents in unpowered equipment that are large enough to fry the equipment.

In my opinion, high quality power conditioning is very important when utilizing computer based modelers such as the Axe Fx III for gigging. Many venues have horribly dirty and variable power supplies. At best, dirty variable power can cause all kinds of noises and strange operational issue, at worst, it can destroy the unit. The cost of a quality power conditioner is a small fraction of the cost of the gear it will protect.

So I gather we will be going acoustic during the Armageddon? I think the closest I have is a Piezo equipment hollowbody II. Guess I'd better get on Sweetwater's website before Slim Pickens rides that thing into the ground!

Sorry to bring this up again.
Noise is killing me when playing at home.
Which device (s) to buy to battle this? Preferably those I can take to the gig with my FM3?
Thank you!
You wouldn't happen to have any dimmer switches in your house would you? I suddenly got a buzz, couldn't figure it out only to find out my wife had turned on some lights in our living room on dimmer switches.

You wouldn't happen to have any dimmer switches in your house would you?
I do, but the noise is being insane in pretty much every venue where I play, except for one. In that one there is absolutely no noise like I'm playing noiseless singles or even humbuckers. So I need to address the issue on a bigger scale :)

I usually scoff at this kind of thing, but had a nasty hum in the pit on my edrums and someone loaned me this and it worked. Why, f if I know.

Ebtech Hum X - Plug-Style AC Voltage Ground Loop Hum Eliminator + Cleaning Cloth https://a.co/d/6aBjGhJ

I don’t know if this has already been said, but why fret it (nice pun).

The smallest possible rack case commercially available for the AFX3 is a 4u. The space is there. These surge protectors weigh nothing, compared to the rack case and the AFX3. Very short AC chord.

You wouldn't happen to have any dimmer switches in your house would you? I suddenly got a buzz, couldn't figure it out only to find out my wife had turned on some lights in our living room on dimmer switches.

Goddamn dimmer switches.

Rented a home for three years that had them EVERYWHERE. The noise was unbearable.

I ultimately broke down and upgraded the pickups in my primary guitar to some Fralin Noiseless options.

My comment is probably not really helpful in any meaningful sense, but any time I'm reminded of those dimmer switches it just sends me off the deep end...

I don’t know if this has already been said, but why fret it (nice pun).

The smallest possible rack case commercially available for the AFX3 is a 4u. The space is there. These surge protectors weigh nothing, compared to the rack case and the AFX3. Very short AC chord.
There are readily available 3U racks and that is all you need for the Axe Fx III.

There are readily available 3U racks and that is all you need for the Axe Fx III.
Well holy cow, you’re right. I’ve never seen them. Even a shallow Gator rack. Oh well, I still want and need the AC protection, and the even-number carriers are ubiquitous.

OK, I am 100 miles from Oak Ridge, 2 miles from Eastman Chemical, 3 miles from BAE Systems munitions plant (they make RDX, C4, and binary shells). What do I need to protect my electronics? Suntan lotion?

Back
Top Bottom