IR's to cut or no to cut (Lo/High freqs)

Chiguete

Experienced
So the other day I was wondering weather is necesary to cut the Low and High freqs on the IR's when playing alone... here was my thought: if and IR is a acurate response of a speaker/cab in all freqs then that will meen that it will also "cut" or "boost" what naturally the speaker/cab do so if that is true then you don't need to do any more cutting of the freqs if you are just playing by yourself no? When going thru a mix it would be totally necessary to do cutting to sit well in the mix but when you are not should you?

I don't know if all of that was nonsense but the other day I was testing out the Celestion Plus IR's and I kind liked playing it without doing any cutting.

PD:
Does this apply to the proximity boost too? why play with it if the boost of that mic is allready in the IR no?

Don't forget that an IR does not reflect what you're hearing (amp in the room) but what a mic close to the speaker receives. Whether it is necessary to add filters or not depends on the IR and your preferences.

Some of my presets have cuts, and some do not. The beauty of the AX8 is that you can tweak to your ears are happy. If you don't like the way your preset sounds after tweaking, just don't hit save and you can recall it again and you are right back where you started.

There are absolutely no rules when it comes to dialing in the AX8 due to the wide variety of amps, ability of users to set multiple EQ points, and use a nearly infinite number of IRs. You absolutely have to use your ears and the context in which you are playing to determine what works.

IMO, the hi/low cut is more about cleaning up the sound and removing frequencies that I can't necessarily hear, but that tend to muddy-up the frequencies that I do hear.

It depends on the speakers you're using, too.

I echo 2112. Do what sounds best to your ear.

Just experiment. If you're like me, you'll go back and forth a few thousand times until you find what works for you. Cuts at 85Hz and 7500kHz work for me...at least for now. :)

My approach was always to imitate an analog rig as good as possible with the Axe. This included to use the IR the way it is, since that's the way the miced cab would sound. But I moved away from this, because especially the high cut is something the guy on the FOH cannot easily do. If it sounds right this way, all is good. Still, the perfect IR would sound awesome with high cut at 20kHz. I do however leave the low cut at 20Hz, because I want to give the FOH guy as much possibilities as possible.

I've found using the Hi/Low Pass filters on the Cab Block (under advanced I believe) really helps me dial in the sound(s) much better,.. I really never used it too much before until I had to dial in a good bass patch for running FOH,.. a lot of times live I would find the bottom end to be a bit boomy and the high side just not "right"... after cutting the lows off I think around 75-80Hz and the highs around 3.5k (I think?) .. it sounded great,..even the sound guy said he could just crank it up with out any worries :) ... ever since then I've been experimenting with all of my guitar patches and it has defiantly made a difference,... in a good way ;)

I've found using the Hi/Low Pass filters on the Cab Block (under advanced I believe) really helps me dial in the sound(s) much better

I've been doing cuts in the CAB block for years and find, in particular, the low end is easier to tame and more natural sounding when doing some cutting in the CAB block vs doing it all in the AMP.

Cutting in the cab block seems to help my live presets with flub in the bass and fizz in the highs. I usually cut at 85 and 8500.

As a sound engineer I would prefer cutting based on band instruments, arrangement and type of music. For classic rock n roll band [dr, bass, kbd, g and voc] I mostly use bass on the bottom. Bass drum around 60-80Hz and guitar a bit higher... Roughly 100Hz. If more than one guitar, cut is for instance 100Hz and 120-140Hz. Everytime depends on song and arrangement!

Back
Top Bottom