IPAD Chord chart apps

Dramelot

Power User
I am sick of my spiral notebook!! Would be great to just brush with my finger to a new spot in the chord charts with the sucker on my mic stand. Getting an ipad, (may wait for a 3,... suggestions?) but anyone have any suggestions for this type of app before i go searching!
Heck a notepad editor that i can scroll will do prolly
Thanks!
Duane

Last edited:
There are a bunch of chord type and tab type charts, I used a few, but somehow did the same - went to the notepad, put down all the chord progressions for the songs etc and I use that. Seems very inefficient given the awesome apps out there, but I like it, and it works.

You're right - just scrolling/tapping/swiping to where you want saves a load of time and is much easier. There is an iklip that you can attach the ipad too as well to your mic stand
iKlip - Universal microphone stand adapter for iPad and iPad 2

I like the iRealBook application for chord charts – good for chord charts (won’t do notes or TAB so if you need more detailed charts then other applications will be better). Easy to edit once you get the hang of it, easy to update charts. Also very easy to transpose when you get thrown something that’s in a different key.

iKlip is also good but there are others.

I also have my lighting control on the iPad so it’s become a very useful device for performance. And iBooks comes in very useful during breaks!

Chris

This application and use of the IPAD is the major reason I am considering getting one. Not quite there yet, but it would be a wonderful and MUCH more efficient way to handle this task.

@scott, you would be very surprised what you can do with an iPad, performance wise. It is not just a big iPhone as people say, it is the II to the ultra - two very different beasts. I am no apple fanboi, but I go for the best products out there to suit my needs. I have not been disappointed in the iPad at ALL, and I use it everyday - it has become a part of my everyday life now.

There is also a user from Australia who has found a way to make an iPad app for the axe, and that alone is reason enough to get an iPad :)

Check out this thread (which you likely have already) http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...ta-testers-needed-ipad-controller-axe-fx.html

@stratcat which iPad clip would you recommend?

Last edited:
iRealbook is VERY practical. You can email charts, print them, there's a large data base of existing charts, mostly jazz but that's what the real book originally was.
Very handy. There's also a forum for chart sharing and so forth.
I use mainly Logic for chart writings and make PDFs of the charts. totally readable on an iPad. Looking at how to use keynote to make vertical "presentations" that i can flip with a tap of the pad. Organize whole set lists like that!

@stratcat which iPad clip would you recommend?

I like the iKlip. My only issue is that it's designed for mic stands and doesn't quite fit onto the thicker tubing used for some music stands (which overall are a little more compact than a mic stand which is why I use them). Some grinding and filing of the iKlip sorted this out!

Also - beware of sourcing cheap iKlips via eBay etc as they may not have the adaptor clips for the iPad2 although you can buy these cheaply from IK. Same issue may apply after the release of the iPad3.

Chris

Our singer uses his iPad for lyrics when we have new tunes.

He also has an app (will find out what it is) where he can quickly bring up chords and lyrics for tunes. We have had a few cases where someone has requested a tune and he has grabbed the lyric/chords there and then and we have played the tune (all crouching over his shoulder on one occasion).

A lot of players use iPads for charts and flick the pages over with a swipe - you see classical pianists do it now.

<Edit> - Here's the one I see classical people using a lot: http://www.forscoreapp.com/

OnSong looks like a good chord chart app - here's a few reviewed: http://audio.tutsplus.com/articles/general/guitar-chords-app-stor/

Last edited:
Very impressed with "set list maker". I spurned the ipad for a long time and finally got one a few weeks ago when someone verified they had it working with vpn for work. Since then I've loaded a ton of stuff and most of it veru useful. Guitar pro, tuners, amp kits etc. But my main use for music thus far-set list maker. It's more than just a list maker. It's more like a database. You can attach MP3s and word docs to every song(as well as notes and other stuff) and then you have all your songs right there. Practicing alone or with the band, everything you need is in there. Now if it could call guitar pro, I'd have all of it in one thingy, but since I can pop back and forth that isnt a big deal. IF that ipad controller app comes to be-very cool.

I would like to have something that I could put 4 or 5 songs in a que and switch without having to shuffle thru pages of other songs.

I know it's a late answer, but maybe you or some other readers would be interested in checking our chord chart builder app - The Chord App https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-chord-app/id576026881?ls=1&mt=8

It's a simple, yet very helpful app for creating, saving, editing custom guitar chord charts on your iPad. I've worked with a professional guitarist, with 45 years of experience, to gather up a 1400+ chord collection. And we keep growing the database through our users' requests.

Hope you enjoy it

Oh BTW, here are 3 promo codes for you guys:

4TFPYWPKWRLM
YJ4J9NR6FWT7
PRTNE6L44MLY

First come, first serve :) But if you get the promo code, pleaaaase don't forget to rate it in the AppStore.. Thanks

Thanks svl!

I'm glad you like it.
Feel free to send us your feedback and requests through the in-app email function. And if you have a free minute, please leave a rating/review for it in the AppStore.

Serge - The Chord App

Hey theblogjammers. Thanks for your feedback.

We are on version 1.0. So we've left a lot of features for future updates. And as I mentioned above we're very opened to feedback and feature requests.
You can also get our latest news, giveaways or just chat with us on our twitter page @the_chord_app or on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/thechordapp

Serge - The Chord App

Back
Top Bottom