interface sluggish when cab sims active?

MusicManJP6

Inspired
I normally play through a poweramp and guitar cabs with cab sims bypassed, but I am working on my poweramp (waiting for quieter fan replacement to arrive) so I decided to go direct and use cab sims. I notice that the cab sims increase CPU usage and if the usage gets to around 94-95% the AXE LCD interface becomes very sluggish. It makes it hard to tweak the settings when this happens. Seems like the last time I used cab sims it did this. Is this normal with high CPU usage? I only use one cab block and it is either mono hires or stereo. Some presets are worse than others, but the one I checked showed CPU at 94 and 95%. Please advise.

Beefcake said:
MusicManJP6 said:
Is this normal with high CPU usage?
Completely normal. AFAIK signal processing is higher priority than the interface, so if things are tight that's what happens.

Ok, that makes sense. I wonder if using AXE Edit is better when this occurs?

You shouldn't have that kind of problems with Axe-Edit,
you can hit 200% of CPU is you want but you would be still able to see everything properly.

The audio processing is the highest priority thread. When there is time left the GUI thread is run. If CPU usage is high there simply isn't enough time to run the GUI at the normal refresh rate so the thread reduces the refresh rate.

FractalAudio said:
The audio processing is the highest priority thread. When there is time left the GUI thread is run. If CPU usage is high there simply isn't enough time to run the GUI at the normal refresh rate so the thread reduces the refresh rate.

Hey, thanks for the official answer!

Back
Top Bottom