Interface/junction box for FM3

cmc2878

I'm looking for an interface/junction box that will allow me to into have my wet effects in the stereo loop of my Fractal FM3, but also allow me to go into the front end of amp. I know Goodwood and XTS can do custom...just seeing if there's something ready made that can fill the role.

Edit for clarity:
I’m looking for an interface that will allow me to switch between these two options without having to rewire the board.

Most of the time I run a standard pedalboard into an amp. No effects loop. Just a series of effects.
I’d like a patch point that would allow me to send the dry effects to the front of the FM3 and have the wet effects in the loop for the times I want to run wet fx from the board post amp in the FM3

Last edited:
I'm not clear on what you're asking for. What do you want to do that you can't accomplish with 4CM?

I concur. It doesn't even sound like traditional 4 cable as OP asks to go into "front of amp".

Main signal chain: Guitar>FM3 IN1>FM3 Out 1>AMP in

Loop: Out 2>Outboard Effects>In 2

I concur. It doesn't even sound like traditional 4 cable as OP asks to go into "front of amp".

Main signal chain: Guitar>FM3 IN1>FM3 Out 1>AMP in

Loop: Out 2>Outboard Effects>In 2
I’m looking for something that will allow me both options without having to rewire any pedals. I have a studio board that I want to integrate into FM3 and other times use with an amp

So version 1: Guitar>Dry effects>Wet effects>Amp

Version 2: Guitar>Dry effects>input of FM3>send from FM3 to Wet effects> back to FM3

I’m looking for something that will allow me both options without having to rewire any pedals. I have a studio board that I want to integrate into FM3 and other times use with an amp

Version 2: Guitar>Dry effects>input of FM3>send from FM3 to Wet effects> back to FM3
Connect as 4CM. Handle different routings with different presets.

Sorry for the lack of clarity.
Connect as 4CM. Handle different routings with different presets.
i use this board with both a real amp and an FM3.
I’m looking to avoid unpatching when using four 4CM with the fractal…hence the need for a junction/interface.

Sorry for the lack of clarity.

i use this board with both a real amp and an FM3.
I’m looking to avoid unpatching when using four 4CM with the fractal…hence the need for a junction/interface.

I guess no one understands what you are looking for.

What is the difference between these 2 options if the FM3 blocks are bypassed?

I guess no one understands what you are looking for.

What is the difference between these 2 options if the FM3 blocks are bypassed?
In version 1 there is no FM3. I’m using an actual amp and the whole pedalboard is in front of it. FM3 is not part of the pedalboard.

In version 1 there is no FM3. I’m using an actual amp and the whole pedalboard is in front of it. FM3 is not part of the pedalboard.

Yeah...apologies. I still don't understand. You want the FM3 always on the pedal board but in some type of loop for the times when you use it?

Let me see how simple I can get this.

In this scenario, most of the time I use a pedalboard into an amp. That’s it. One pedal goes into another, into another, eventually into the front end of an actual tube amp. No FM3 in sight.

Sometimes, instead of an amp, I use the FM3. I want to use it in 4CM (I want drives into the front of the FM3 and delays/verbs in the loop)

I want to be able to do both of these without re-patching my board. So, I’m looking for an interface/junction box that will allow me to do this.

This would be how I'd perm route the setup. Unless there's some burning need to have an external switcher to 100% bypass the FM3 then you would just do it this way. The only caveat I can think of is properly gain staging the patches to make sure the ins and outs are identical with fx engaged or bypassed. If the ins and outs are created equal then it should be fine to leave things like this.

Routing:
Guitar --> Dry FX --> FM3 IN1 --> FM3 OUT2 --> Wet FX --> FM3 IN2 --> FM3 OUT1 --> Amp

Patches
Lane1 FM3 IN1 --> <effect> --> FM3 OUT2
Lane2 FM3 IN2 --> <effect> --> FM3 OUT1

Version1 - Have no effects/all effects bypassed
Version2 - Have your effects on

EDIT
I just went off your routing that I quoted... the normal way I had a 4cm was this:
Guitar --> Dry FX --> FM3 IN1 --> FM3 OUT2 --> Amp IN --> Amp Loop SEND --> FM3 IN2 --> FM3 OUT1 --> Amp Loop RETURN

Reactions: Rex
The FM3 replaces the amp, but external effects remain the same.

I’d just use splitters for the connection points of the amp and fm.

Let me see how simple I can get this.

In this scenario, most of the time I use a pedalboard into an amp. That’s it. One pedal goes into another, into another, eventually into the front end of an actual tube amp. No FM3 in sight.

Sometimes, instead of an amp, I use the FM3. I want to use it in 4CM (I want drives into the front of the FM3 and delays/verbs in the loop)

I want to be able to do both of these without re-patching my board. So, I’m looking for an interface/junction box that will allow me to do this.
Okay, now we know what you mean by "dry effects" and "wet effects." That's a good start.

In both scenarios, will your final signal always come through your amp's power amp/speakers? If so, the solution that @[Nathan] posted above will do what you want.

Okay, now we know what you mean by "dry effects" and "wet effects." That's a good start.

In both scenarios, will your final signal always come through your amp's power amp/speakers? If so, the solution that @[Nathan] posted above will do what you want.
Nope. FM3 replaces amp when used. I never use amp and FM3 together.

Nope. FM3 replaces amp when used. I never use amp and FM3 together.
I think your references to 4CM are confusing things.

That typically refers to using the Fractal (or another modeler/effects processor) in a specific configuration with an amp.

I think your references to 4CM are confusing things.

That typically refers to using the Fractal (or another modeler/effects processor) in a specific configuration with an amp.
I can see that how that could happen.
I’m looking to run the pedalboard as 4CM (technically 5 since the loop return is stereo in my setup) not the FM3.
In a 4CM diagram, the FM3 would be the amp and the FX Loop would be the loop of the FM3.

If you run your effects in series in front of the amp normally, and the goal is to not have to unplug anything from the rig, then how would you take the time and modulation based effects and have them running in a 4CM to the FM3 while simultaneously having them in front of the amp without having Y-splitters on every output of every effect?

With no disrespect intended in any way, is there a reason you don't just digitally recreate your analog rig in the FM3 for the times you want to use the FM3? Pardon my ignorance if there is. My knee jerk reaction is that having a pedalboard run into the FM3 via a 4CM seems redundant, and seemingly contradicts the whole MO for using a modeler to begin with, so help me to understand the rationale behind the flipping between the two rigs.

If you run your effects in series in front of the amp normally, and the goal is to not have to unplug anything from the rig, then how would you take the time and modulation based effects and have them running in a 4CM to the FM3 while simultaneously having them in front of the amp without having Y-splitters on every output of every effect?

With no disrespect intended in any way, is there a reason you don't just digitally recreate your analog rig in the FM3 for the times you want to use the FM3? Pardon my ignorance if there is. My knee jerk reaction is that having a pedalboard run into the FM3 via a 4CM seems redundant, and seemingly contradicts the whole MO for using a modeler to begin with, so help me to understand the rationale behind the flipping between the two rigs.
I’m not looking to use them simultaneously. I never use an amp and FM3 together. When I use an FM3, it’s because im not using an amp.

I use to pedalboard for two reasons:
1, it’s insanely quick. I can pull and up adjust sounds without an editor much quicker than the Fractal.

2, part of my wet effects is the Hologram Microcosm. Fractal has yet to implement anything like that yet. (Yes, I’m aware of the glitch effects thread on this forum…again, speed and convience are a factor.)

I use the FM3 in many different ways. For my main touring gig, it’s all I use.
But for sessions and other live shows the needs are different. I essentially use it like the Walrus ACS1 or Strymon Iridium. I like the way the amps sound in the fractal. I also like the way my pedals sound.

I’m not looking to use them simultaneously. I never use an amp and FM3 together. When I use an FM3, it’s because im not using an amp.

I use to pedalboard for two reasons:
1, it’s insanely quick. I can pull and up adjust sounds without an editor much quicker than the Fractal.

2, part of my wet effects is the Hologram Microcosm. Fractal has yet to implement anything like that yet. (Yes, I’m aware of the glitch effects thread on this forum…again, speed and convience are a factor.)

I use the FM3 in many different ways. For my main touring gig, it’s all I use.
But for sessions and other live shows the needs are different. I essentially use it like the Walrus ACS1 or Strymon Iridium. I like the way the amps sound in the fractal. I also like the way my pedals sound.
Is this the two basic routings you're after?

Guitar --> Pedals --> FM3 IN1 --> FM3 OUT2 --> Pedals --> Poweramp/Cab/Loadbox
Guitar --> Pedals --> Amp --> Amp SEND --> Pedals --> Amp RETURN --> Cab/Loadbox

For stuff like this and in a home/studio setup, a patchbay is probably the way to go. Just need to make sure anything out of the poweramp isn't going into the patchbay... its last in the chain so it shouldnt be an issue just worth mentioning.

Samson S Patch is reasonably priced and customisable

Yeah, wire up a custom patch panel on your board. You just need Ins and Outs for going to and from the FM3. When you want to use the board without the FM3, insert short patch cables between those jacks instead. If you wanted to get fancy, you could wire the jacks to a switch for internal patching instead.

Back
Top Bottom