Interface advice / recommendations

ZeeW

Inspired
I would like to use my Axe Fx II for jamming to backing tracks using studio monitors. I also intend to use the Axe Fx for recording.

I've just landed a copy of Cubase 6 and will be using this as my DAW via an iMac Core Duo. I also want to add a second pair of monitors to my set up.

Which audio interface woud be suit my needs for real time audio play back and playing my guitar via the Axe? I easy on if it is Firewire or USB and budget is open.

Thanks

What do you mean by budget is open? What it comes down to is how you'll be using it. How many tracks do you plan to record at one time? From personal experience I can't recommend Metrc Halo stuff enough. Their ULN-2 is perfect for the single recordist, songwriter type. Two tracks, but also with adat you can get 8 additional tracks. Great built in mixer, great converters and world class pres. But there are several boxes that are good as well.

I use their ULN-8. I record with two stereo and a mono (uneffected dry for later reamp) from the Axe Fx II. But sometimes I also record my band simultaneously. I have very flexible monitoring. I can give all the guys their own independent, stereo headphones mixes. Or by myself I can record guitar over pre existing tracks easily, and can comfortable control the various levels before it gets to the daw.

If you don't need to record any mics then you can start by just using the AxeFx II as your USB audio interface. Beyond that I think an Apogee Duet 2 or RME Babyface make great options.

Okay sorry I had should have been more specific - still early morning here in the UK.

Budget - £2k GBP I guess that is around $3k?

upto 8 channels would be ideal.

I'm familiar with the ULN-2 so will check out the 8. I will also look a the RME - thanks.

Okay sorry I had should have been more specific - still early morning here in the UK.

Budget - £2k GBP I guess that is around $3k?

upto 8 channels would be ideal.

I'm familiar with the ULN-2 so will check out the 8. I will also look a the RME - thanks.

Apogee Symphony - their latest and greatest - lots and lots of I/O options with it, including some very respectable preamps. Or you can get a used Rosetta 8 for under 2K US that does one thing only: 8 channels of great A/D-D/A. I've had a Rosetta 8 in my studio for something like 10 years. sounds great. Has never given me any trouble. As henry says: Metric Halo's stuff is also really, really, really good! Crane Song too.

I LOVE my RME DIGIFACE, and my my RME MIDI stuff is the best: can take the millions of notes on keys with the pedal down without choking on the data. Their converters are... respectable - but I personally do not beleive they can touch the higher end stuff (MH, Apogee, Crane Song et. al). I admit I haven't tried them in a couple of years, but my impression is still that they're '2nd tier'.Of course, it's all subjective - you might like the sound of the more inexpensive ones.

You've already identified your requirements, so from there, it's down to how mad you want to go!

If you've got the cash and want the added UAD plug-ins, then I'd find it impossible to look past the Apollo - however, if you don't want to go that far, I've used a Focusrite Saffire Pro40 with my macs for the last three years with absolutely no reason to complain
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom