Interested in EVM12L's - what are my options?

The EV's are marketed as an instrument (guitar) speaker, but the Delta pro, and pretty much any speaker you can find that is similar to the EV is marketed as a pro audio speaker. Is there an important difference? i.e. is the EV designed to be put in any old guitar speaker enclosure, whereas other "pro audio" speakers are more sensitive?

I haven't played with the EV but i sure dig the Delta Pro 12A as a guitar speaker...

I see a lot of similarities...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

...in theory...in the real world i'll leave the comparison to somebody that has actually A/B them...

I built a pair of the Theile cabs. huge tone!
I used cabinet grade void free 3/4" Baltic birch.
One cab was insulated like the plan shows,
the other without. I do like the tone without
the insulation.

Smilefan went through a lot of cabs before settling on pine open backs with his EVs to get the best range from them - so I'm taking that intel into consideration too. I'm pretty sure his aren't custom made ... though you could PM him and ask.

My cabs use seasoned, well-dried pine. Not 'antique' pine, but similar principle. I went thru
five different cabs and 11 different guitar speakers before settling on EVM's thru open back
pine 2x12's. Gets me a huge, open, musical sound I didn't hear out of any other combination.
My playing situation is very similar to Maxdown's. Small clubs, backyards with no
real FOH system, just a vocal PA.

I haven't played with the EV but i sure dig the Delta Pro 12A as a guitar speaker...

I see a lot of similarities...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

...in theory...in the real world i'll leave the comparison to somebody that has actually A/B them...

Similar yes. But IIRC the difference in the top end does make a difference. Read a post from someone somewhere that he couldn't use cab sims with the Delta (the EVMs let you do that, after break-in).

I built a pair of the Theile cabs. huge tone!
I used cabinet grade void free 3/4" Baltic birch.
One cab was insulated like the plan shows,
the other without. I do like the tone without
the insulation.

The Mesa Thiele cabs I have leave out the insulation

Read a post from someone somewhere that he couldn't use cab sims with the Delta (the EVMs let you do that, after break-in).

If that's the case that would be a serious drawback for anybody want to go the FRFR route (but it's fine by me, i am not interested in the FRFR)...

Theile

Mesa Theile cabs are build using marine grade birch ply, and the EV plans call for 3/4 Ply. The higher the grade the less voids in the wood the better the sound. The Poplar used in TT's cab design is less dense than Ply and therefore soaks up the sound.

Most decent cabs are manufactured from 3/4 " ply

I built a Theile cab out of 12 ply Baltic birch, same wood mesa uses in there cabs. i purchased the ply wood at menards. The cab is about 3 years old and simply amazing!

just dont build a guitar cab with cheap ply wood and it will sound good. also be sure to glue and seal the joints good. i used screws and glue. i also sealed the inside with silicone before i installed the insulation.

I've been trying to find a good online place to buy EVM12L's. I get some Google hits for sure. But has anyone found a really good deal (in the USA too)?

Thanks,
Richard

I've been trying to find a good online place to buy EVM12L's. I get some Google hits for sure. But has anyone found a really good deal (in the USA too)?

Thanks,
Richard

Hi Richard,

The EVM12L went out of production in the early nineties I believe, only recently has it resurfaced as the EVM12L "Classic", looks slightly different but supposed to sound the same. Electro-Voice EVM12L Classic The Classic EVM12L guitar speaker

There are many more original EVM12L's in the USA than here in Europe, so you may be able to pick some up on evilbay

Hi Richard,

The EVM12L went out of production in the early nineties I believe, only recently has it resurfaced as the EVM12L "Classic", looks slightly different but supposed to sound the same. Electro-Voice EVM12L Classic The Classic EVM12L guitar speaker

There are many more original EVM12L's in the USA than here in Europe, so you may be able to pick some up on evilbay

Thanks Japster.

Yeah I did a little Google research and found the reissue Classic and the Black.

The reissue would be fine with me. I was just hoping someone had already scoped out a good cheap place online to buy the Classic reissue.

Richard

Similar yes. But IIRC the difference in the top end does make a difference. Read a post from someone somewhere that he couldn't use cab sims with the Delta (the EVMs let you do that, after break-in).
That surprises me. On paper, the specs look like the Delta has an overall flatter response, specially in the top end without the massive peak in the EVM's response.

whew @ 500!

I saw a Mesa 4x12 on ebay. The cab had 4 EVM12L Classic reissues. IIR the cab was only 350 US... but it was pickup only and too far from me. Still on the lookout though.

Richard

I was testing all day the ultra with the EVM's.This thing sounds like my tube amp.Glad i sold it
Loaded some presets from Yek with cab sims on and it was an eargasm!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom