Intelligent Pitch shifter question...

shotgunn

Fractal Fanatic
Hey guys!

I just posted a wish list item for this because as far as I know what I want is not yet possible. For those that are familiar with Metallica's song Master of Puppets. I am referring to the melodic interlude (right after the clean part) before James' solo. It is in E minor but has an added note (Major 7th) Eb. When I set the pitch block for E Minor harmonized in 3rds higher it does every note perfectly except the Eb note. The harmony should be a Minor 3 note of F#.

Is there any way to get the harmonizer to play an F# over the Eb note? I supposed I could set an expression pedal as a modifier to adjust the note manually. Any other automated type ideas?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The harmonizer can't do the d# when set to E minor because it's not part of that harmony.

I think you could split your signal to 2 harmonizers and have the 2nd one do the major 7.
I don't have the part you are referring to in mind, so if it's just for one note it's maybe not worth it this way.

Not sure how an f# would help you.

The harmonizer can't do the d# when set to E minor because it's not part of that harmony.

I think you could split your signal to 2 harmonizers and have the 2nd one do the major 7.
I don't have the part you are referring to in mind, so if it's just for one note it's maybe not worth it this way.

Not sure how an f# would help you.

Harmonic Minor has D#.

However, if it is an extra note within the scale (meaning you need use the D note as well) you can just use a custom scale. You go into the global menu -scales and define specifically what harmony you want for each pitch.

To me in sounded like he wanted the harmozier to do an E minor triad (+g +b) and then the d# on top of it.

I may be wrong in that understanding!

Harmonic Minor has D#.

However, if it is an extra note within the scale (meaning you need use the D note as well) you can just use a custom scale. You go into the global menu -scales and define specifically what harmony you want for each pitch.

It also has a minor 2d and a Major 3rd soooo... I tried that already. I had good results using the external controller to modify it. Having it done for me would be great as there is already a lot of footwork for me in this song.

To me in sounded like he wanted the harmozier to do an E minor triad (+g +b) and then the d# on top of it.

I may be wrong in that understanding!

No, not a triad. Just a two part harmony played in E minor (with an added Major 7th scale tone) harmonized in thirds (higher).

It also has a minor 2d and a Major 3rd soooo... I tried that already. I had good results using the external controller to modify it. Having it done for me would be great as there is already a lot of footwork for me in this song.

No Harmonic minor is major 2nd, minor 3rd (hence being a minor scale). Harmonic Minor is the same as a Natural Minor but with a raised 7th degree.

But global custom scale is what you want. Looks like bakerman's post should get you covered.

I had to set up "Magic Man" by Heart, which uses 4 different harmonies at one point. I have it set up across 2 different pitch blocks with X/Y switching, so I can do it all from one preset - goes from P1:X to P1:Y to P2:Y to P2:X - there's a bit of tap-dancing to pull it off, but it works pretty well.

I dont know the song but harmonic minor has a major second. Of course if you play a mode of it starting on its fifth it will give you Spanish Phrygian with a minor second. E.g A harmonic minor, starting on E. or E Phrygian with a major third.

But if the song is E harmonic minor and has D and D# it may be actually melodic minor, which in classical circles is different on the way up than the way down.

You could do what you described with one global custom scale, but if you're trying to get the exact MoP notes there's a D with the higher B and a D# with the lower B.

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/ultra...cales-pitch-shifter-need-help.html#post356668

Here's the Ultra preset no longer attached there:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28651/axefx/MOP_Harmony.syx

I don't know what you mean? The D note should have an F# (Major 3rd higher) and the D# should also have an F# sharp (Minor 3rd higher). I don't understand what you mean by the higher B and the lower B.

Also... So is it still not possible to do with with only pitch block? If I do it with two pitch blocks how to I switch from natural minor to harmonic minor? I have this working with one pitch block now, but I use an exp pedal to shift to a minor 3rd for the D#.

I'm still missing something. I programmed a custom global scale with the following harmonies for the notes...

E - G (3 semi)
F# - A (3 semi)
G - B (4 semi)
A - C (3 semi)
B - D (3 semi)
C - E (4 semi)
D - F# (4 semi)
D# - F# (3 semi)

To no avail. Now it plays minors 3rds over the C and D notes. All other notes are correct. What's the deal?

No Harmonic minor is major 2nd, minor 3rd (hence being a minor scale). Harmonic Minor is the same as a Natural Minor but with a raised 7th degree.

But global custom scale is what you want. Looks like bakerman's post should get you covered.

You're right... Brain fart.

Just listened to it on you tube, nice harmony part. Not Phrygian at all, but D and D # both are as you say harmonised by F# which would seem to be a bit of a logic problem for a computing device, how will it know which you want when, looks like having to have both a natural minor harmonised and harmonic minor separately and tap dancing. Or doing some double stops with the fingers.

Just listened to it on you tube, nice harmony part. Not Phrygian at all, but D and D # both are as you say harmonised by F# which would seem to be a bit of a logic problem for a computing device, how will it know which you want when, looks like having to have both a natural minor harmonised and harmonic minor separately and tap dancing. Or doing some double stops with the fingers.

D and D# being harmonized to F# is not a problem using global scales. You create the interval to play for each note.

I don't know what you mean? The D note should have an F# (Major 3rd higher) and the D# should also have an F# sharp (Minor 3rd higher). I don't understand what you mean by the higher B and the lower B.

Also... So is it still not possible to do with with only pitch block? If I do it with two pitch blocks how to I switch from natural minor to harmonic minor? I have this working with one pitch block now, but I use an exp pedal to shift to a minor 3rd for the D#.

I'm still missing something. I programmed a custom global scale with the following harmonies for the notes...

E - G (3 semi)
F# - A (3 semi)
G - B (4 semi)
A - C (3 semi)
B - D (3 semi)
C - E (4 semi)
D - F# (4 semi)
D# - F# (3 semi)

To no avail. Now it plays minors 3rds over the C and D notes. All other notes are correct. What's the deal?

I'll test when I get home. Did you change your pitch type to Custom Shift and choose the correct global scales (remember - you can define a different global scale for each voice)

D and D# being harmonized to F# is not a problem using global scales. You create the interval to play for each note.

I did this in the global scales menu and it still doesn't work. The D and D# both get the F# harmony, except now the C and D notes are both getting Minor 3rd harmonies (F and Eb respectively). What am I doing wrong?

I did this in the global scales menu and it still doesn't work. The D and D# both get the F# harmony, except now the C and D notes are both getting Minor 3rd harmonies (F and Eb respectively). What am I doing wrong?

see my edit above.

Back
Top Bottom