Instrument cables

Better is subjective, but there is a measurable difference between cables both mathematically and by what you hear. I didn't buy into it for a long time either until I did my own test a few years ago with about 10 different cables. What I discovered that "for me" was the lowest capacitance cable was not my favorite, but just as the math proved it was the brightest. At the time and with the particular guitar and amp it was the second lowest capacitance cable that really hit the sweet spot. Once I got into the higher capacitance cables it became a mudfest. You can dial around some of that, but the thing is that once the signal is gone you aren't going to get it back.

Now what no one has mentioned here is the input capacitance parameter on the input of the layout for the AxeFXII. This allows you to select a variety of values to try to get that resonant shift and high end roll off to taste. So with that on hand I would think that having a very low capacitance cable that will carry as much of the original signal as possible into the front end and then adjust accordingly would be a pretty good way to go.

But for me when it comes down to really getting super anal about it, I would say that if you aren't really going to have stress a whole lot about it until you start dealing with longer cables.

I've no reason to question any of your points groovenut or Rex - largely because neither myself, or anyone in the band, have ever had a guitar with those single-coil, low output pick ups!
thumbsup.gif

Always been humbucker, active or variax electronics
Understood. Though you can still hear differences with 'buckers. As you said, with active guitars, it doesn't matter.

Actually, I'm NOT recommending Lava cable. What I do recommend is the Mogami Platinum. It's what I am currently using and I consider it the best cable I've ever used.
Definitely agree on the Mogami Platinum cable. I've been using a 10' Platinum patch cord for a couple years now and have been really happy with it. Everything sounds a little crisper, brighter, and more detailed with this cable versus others I have. I also use Mogami Gold series cables for everything else in my setup (monitors, subwoofer, etc.). Another nice thing about Mogami is that their products are readily available at places like Guitar Center or online at Musicians Friend. Both have excellent return policies - if you are not completely happy with the results.

Back
Top Bottom