Instrument and patch cables

I know that I may get accused of splitting hairs or that perhaps the difference may be null, but I have noticed at least with my instrument cable in front of my Axe-FX that the Mogami Gold cable sounds better than the Monster. Should I look into Mogami cables for my unbalanced outputs to the power amp as well? I'm using Monster unbalanced patch cables right now. My setup is not FRFR....it's a Randall SS power amp into 2 cabs FYI......

I belong to a forum where threads like these immediately get locked, because they always degenerate into "The science says that the product's claims are not valid." "Umm, I know what I hear, and I hear more _____." "No, you can't hear more _____. That's your brain telling you that that's there because you paid more for it."

Long story short, if you think it will make you happier with your tone and as a player to switch to any particular cable, I say go for it.

FWIW, I also use cables some people would say are mostly composed of snake oil. http://www.hosatech.com/News/ZAOLLA+SIL ... +CABLE/151 I don't generally run my mouth off to people about them because of the responses I get, but I will say that I'm happier with my tone after replacing the other cables in my rig with these.

Well I usually don't make that big of a deal about it myself it's just I do hear a difference from one cable to another in this case. Just seeing what people are using. By seeing the lack of responses I suppose I've annoyed most people with this question... :oops: :lol:

I'm certainly no expert on cables or sound in general, for that matter. Some on this forum have expressed an opinion about Monster Cables as a company, and I try to support more "ethical" companies as a rule. If you do a search, you might find information about Monster that will guide your purchasing decision. Tone is important, but not the only factor.
Cheers

shred-o-holic said:
[...] I do hear a difference from one cable to another in this case [...]
I think that's all the answer you need. :)

As for what I'm using... have some Evidence Lyric HG that I bought just to try them out. My ears are not picky enough (yet?) to be able to tell the difference between them and some Fender cables I've had for years. However, when I got the Fenders, they were a *huge* noise improvement over the other generic(?) cables I was using when I first started.

imho, aside from blocking noise, any variations in a cable formula may impart a different quality to your tone. if you can honestly (blind test) hear those differences, I don't see any reason not to use them to your advantage.

I am currently using an Evidence Lyric. The Axe-Fx through an FRFR system you will hear a big difference. Through a Fender amp the difference is not worth talking about. Having said that....I plan on going back to a more flexible cable soon. The Lyric is stiff and expensive. I find that be changing the settings you can dial in to suit your taste. I had to back off the highs when I switched to the Lyric. I will just turn them back when I switch.

YMMV

HA! Now here's a topic.... I am willing to bet money that if you were to record a simple guitar track (Let's say 1 chord ringing out) and try comparing cables with the same action over and over that NOBODY would be able to tell them apart. Like, let's say that we put all of the CEO's from each cable mfg company in a room and had them put their jobs on the line that they would be able to tell us which track is using THEIR cable, and we'll even give them all the most kickarse sound guy possible to help them ... like the Cola Wars - what do you think would happen?

Do you honestly think they would get it right? If the subtleties are that minute, then what? It's almost like me posting a track on this forum, would anyone be able to tell me which guitar/processor/cables I'm using? I have been home recording for over 17 years and I would hesitate to say which cable really sounds better.

Sometimes when you put a really big price tag on something, people tend to buy it, just ask Toyota when they sold Lexus cars Honda/Infinity.

Thanks, I am now breathing better after I got off that soapbox. ahhhhhhhh.

I have quite a few cables from uber high end to the typical guitar center stuff. In some amps there isn't much difference between some, but some have their own character. In the axefx it's quite a different story. I find the axefx really reacts more to whatever it receives and I hear quite a bit more difference between cables. So then the question is which is best? that's up for debate. By best one could think the most transparent and least capacitance is best. Or the most shielded least noise. Or whatever colors the sound in that magic way that you go "ah, ha!" I personally think that's the key. It's like a great speaker cab, it is specifically designed and works like a mini eq. It doesn't let everything through, it tastefully keeps some frequencies out lol. Now I'm not saying it's drastic, but it's there and more in certain cables. If I were to recommend which I think has the extra magic it's a Klotz LaGrange from lavacables.com that cable just has this life in the mids I haven't seen in other cables. And if you are into the super pure most accurate flat response high end cable I'd look into the Analysis Plus Pro line like the yellow oval, stay away from their entry level stuff. Hope this helps.

MKeditor said:
I am currently using an Evidence Lyric. The Axe-Fx through an FRFR system you will hear a big difference. Through a Fender amp the difference is not worth talking about. Having said that....I plan on going back to a more flexible cable soon. The Lyric is stiff and expensive. I find that be changing the settings you can dial in to suit your taste. I had to back off the highs when I switched to the Lyric. I will just turn them back when I switch.

YMMV
I am currently looking at some new cables. Looking at the EA Melody. I think it is suppose to be less stiff.

Think I am going to save some dollars (unexpected $$$$ AC repair bill) and try some Gotham GAC-1 UltraPros. Mark over at Lava Cable recommended them.

VirgilGuitar said:
HA! Now here's a topic.... I am willing to bet money that if you were to record a simple guitar track (Let's say 1 chord ringing out) and try comparing cables with the same action over and over that NOBODY would be able to tell them apart. Like, let's say that we put all of the CEO's from each cable mfg company in a room and had them put their jobs on the line that they would be able to tell us which track is using THEIR cable, and we'll even give them all the most kickarse sound guy possible to help them ... like the Cola Wars - what do you think would happen?

Do you honestly think they would get it right? If the subtleties are that minute, then what? It's almost like me posting a track on this forum, would anyone be able to tell me which guitar/processor/cables I'm using? I have been home recording for over 17 years and I would hesitate to say which cable really sounds better.

Sometimes when you put a really big price tag on something, people tend to buy it, just ask Toyota when they sold Lexus cars Honda/Infinity.

Thanks, I am now breathing better after I got off that soapbox. ahhhhhhhh.

Pay no attention to this guys rants and raves - at times, he thinks he knows stuff, but then is shot down in flames. The mind is a terrible thing. Especially when you are obsessed with GETTING an AxeFX Ultra.

LOL - so should I be the "troll" and tell you that the science doesn't match the sales pitch ??? ;)

Wire is wire. Copper wire used in cables is ETP copper wire. It has a standard purity level that is around 99.3% cooper. Electrical conductivity capability in guitar cables is the same as that of standard house wire (romex). No more no less.
What differs is the bindings, jackets and coatings on that wire. That's what causes the price differentials between 50' of Romex and 50' of certain [nameless] cable vendors.
Reality is that there is no mechanical difference. Many will disagree.
Say no more..

As stated previously, if you believe that "your" cable choice sounds better, then go with it.

well it's hard to argue that capacitance doesn't effect tone. Because it does lol. You lose high end over distance it's a fact. More capacitance less high end content.

And you can hear the capacitance comparison here:
http://www.aqdi.com/faceoff.htm
In this cable tone comparison, it's pretty obvious.

Also, some great charts showing different pickups through different cables and what the resulting effected frequency range is.
http://www.aqdi.com/cgi-bin/database.cgi

Just because you can't tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi doesn't mean there isn't a difference. But to say that the least capacitance cable will sound the "best" is a subjective matter. Perfection doesn't mean pleasing lol. Like the imperfect frequency response of guitar speakers sound great with guitars. Then you try some full range speakers in their place and blam you hear all the frequencies you don't want, but it's a more accurate representation of the tone, it just sounds awful. It's finding the cable that suits your tone needs and enhances your sound.

What is the highest possible quality cable in the world for use with the axe assuming all guitars have both seymour duncan blackouts, and EMGs. The quality of the woods are simply mahogany with bolt on necks. Ibanez guitars ranging no more than from 600-1000 dollars.

Are they the Evidence Lyric HGs, Fortes, or is there any other cable that is better?

rsf1977 said:
well it's hard to argue that capacitance doesn't effect tone. Because it does lol. You lose high end over distance it's a fact. More capacitance less high end content.

And you can hear the capacitance comparison here:
http://www.aqdi.com/faceoff.htm
In this cable tone comparison, it's pretty obvious.

Also, some great charts showing different pickups through different cables and what the resulting effected frequency range is.
http://www.aqdi.com/cgi-bin/database.cgi

Just because you can't tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi doesn't mean there isn't a difference. But to say that the least capacitance cable will sound the "best" is a subjective matter. Perfection doesn't mean pleasing lol. Like the imperfect frequency response of guitar speakers sound great with guitars. Then you try some full range speakers in their place and blam you hear all the frequencies you don't want, but it's a more accurate representation of the tone, it just sounds awful. It's finding the cable that suits your tone needs and enhances your sound.

In my experience, capacitance (and noise rejection) do matter in guitar cables.

Check out this demo, lower right hand you tube video, where they play through an 100 ft electrical extension cord as a guitar cable.

http://www.creationaudiolabs.com/redeemer

Richard

s0c9 said:
LOL - so should I be the "troll" and tell you that the science doesn't match the sales pitch ??? ;)

You might as well just sit back and enjoy the spectacle. The science does support the sales pitch in a way, although it is not the science you may be thinking of. Take a look at some of the FMRI studies that have been done regarding human perception. You can't successfully argue with the fact that these guys are hearing a difference, because they are.

Oh, and of course capacitance matters; there shouldn't be any controversy there.

Back
Top Bottom