Instant preset switching with preset information on screen

Eduard

Inspired
allright so I have been looking for a way to set up my FX8 for live use.
I would like to be able to set up the fx8 in the style of the G-system. The g-system had 2 switches for bankup and down, 5 switches for presets 1-5, a dedicated boost button and 6 switches for switching effects on and of WITHIN a preset. There was also a fixed button for Tap and holding that button would give access to a tuner.
So there where 14 fixed buttons. For most songs I needed the taptimer, 5 presets(Intro, Verse, Chorus,Bridge, Verse) and the boost for the solo. So 7 fixed buttons accessible with ONE click. This is very important to me and I think this is the biggest advantage of multieffects pedalboards.
Every preset showed the name in the screen...and the effects that where ON where lit up on the board.

So I am trying to set the FX8 up like this. I have tried so many different setups and I can't seem to find a setup like describe above.
It just looks like the fx8 has not enough fixed buttons and/or preset information to show.
I have tried scenes and that didnt work because many times I need different blocks when switching from Intro to Chorus or Solo. With sticky scenes you are limited to the same blocks(you only have the x/y setting) and scenes do not show scenenames....
With global(?) presets I only see P1,P2,P3 etc. No names.
With normal presets I only see 8 blocknames(CPR,DRV,DEL,REV etc). When I want to switch to preset x I need 2 steps which is one too many.
Now with 3.02 when you switch banks you see a list with presetnames. That's a huge improvement. Except I still cant switch from preset 1 to 3 in one step.
I first have to hit the sticky preset button then the list appears and then I can hit the preset I want. For switching to a solo that is one step too many.

I hear you saying 'you could use preset +/-' but then I cannot jump from p1 to 4 and back.
What I would like to see in the screen is up to 8 blocks each containing one preset with the song parts in it. So for instance switch 1-5: INT, CH1, SOL, BRI,CH2 (Intro, Chorus1, SOLO, Bridge,Chorus2; I really don't care to see which effects are on because I have programmed my setlistI only need the songparts)
This way I can have 8 presets in one bank(all having different blocks when I need them) and these presets are accesibly on the fly with one step only!
I realize I can't store many songs this way because banks go from A to P or something. But scenes really don't work for me for most songs because of the fixed blocks and settings.

Now with global presets you can only see P1,P2...P8. Which says nothing.

I also tried a setup with buttons 1-4 having p1 to p4 and buttons 5-8 having 4 effects but then again you don't see preset names and you miss the names of some effectblocks...

I really need help here. I am beginning to think it is a design issue. I think my suggestion would solve it(screen shows up to 8 blocks each containing one preset with the song parts in it. So for instance switch 1-5: INT, CH1, SOL, BRI,CH2 (Intro, Chorus1, SOLO, Bridge,Chorus2))

Would like to hear some other thoughts on this issue! Maybe I am missing something here?

That would be nice, but that functionality is not available. I agree that having the switch blocks be more descriptive would help, but that also brings me to my post about algorithms and spillovers. Switching from preset to preset right now brings in unwanted noise unless each preset has the same delays and reverbs.

Switching from preset to preset right now brings in unwanted noise unless each preset has the same delays and reverbs.
turn off Spillover in the Global menu and those noises will go away. true spillover requires a duplicate set of processors to store the previous sound uninterrupted - so that'd be 4 processors on the Axe-Fx, 4 in the AX8 and 2 in the FX8 - pretty much not feasible. most multi-effects units have this limitation.

turn off Spillover in the Global menu and those noises will go away. true spillover requires a duplicate set of processors to store the previous sound uninterrupted - so that'd be 4 processors on the Axe-Fx, 4 in the AX8 and 2 in the FX8 - pretty much not feasible. most multi-effects units have this limitation.

I will try that Chris. However, I think if the AX8 and Axe-FX have 2 processors, the FX8 being an all FX unit should have the 2 processors as well with the capability of achieving the perfect spillover. If money was an issue, I would pay more to have that functionality. Technology is so advanced now a days, why not take full advantage of it.

I will try that Chris. However, I think if the AX8 and Axe-FX have 2 processors, the FX8 being an all FX unit should have the 2 processors as well with the capability of achieving the perfect spillover. If money was an issue, I would pay more to have that functionality. Technology is so advanced now a days, why not take full advantage of it.
maybe we'll see one in the future? no one knows. the current product offering makes sense if you follow the FAS development offerings.

I wonder how many processors the g-system had. Rarely had spillover problems. The FX8 spillover still needs some work in my opinion.

That would be nice, but that functionality is not available. I agree that having the switch blocks be more descriptive would help, but that also brings me to my post about algorithms and spillovers. Switching from preset to preset right now brings in unwanted noise unless each preset has the same delays and reverbs.

how do you switch from preset to preset? How do you have the f switches set-up?

Louis -

this is not true. you are misunderstanding the explanations people are giving you.

I wonder how many processors the g-system had. Rarely had spillover problems. The FX8 spillover still needs some work in my opinion.

the g system didn't have the ability to put the reverb and delay in any place in the signal chain either. Fractal has implemented the solution they have in order to allow us more flexibility in where we place the individual fx. with more flexibility comes more responsibility.

the g system didn't have the ability to put the reverb and delay in any place in the signal chain either. Fractal has implemented the solution they have in order to allow us more flexibility in where we place the individual fx. with more flexibility comes more responsibility.

True! I guess there are also downsides of flexibility. I think one of the most important, if not the most important features of a multieffect unit besides quality effects, are live switching presets and spillover. Almost there now with the preset list! If only I could see what P1 to P8 was all the time in the screen. Maybe stomplabels would help or maybe I should remember that p8 is Always the solo part and p7 bridge something like that.

I'm an ex G System user also, Eduardo and I lay out my board like this.

S1 = MOD (block on/off for the mod block in the scene)
S2 = DLY (block on/off for the delay in the scene)
S3 = REV (block on/off for reverb in the scene)
S4 = SOLO - a scene dedicated to for guitar solos
S5 = CLEAN 1 - the cleanest sounding scene
S6 = CLEAN 2 - scene with a bit of hair on it.
S7 = CRUNCH - rhythm crunch scene
S8 = LEAD - rock type scene

They are the same layout across all presets and I use "Kicktags" to label them as above.

It works extremely well, but note :

I have never had any use for the "FILTER" button on the G as I use the "auto on" feature. This is the same configuration as I use on my FX8.

The tuner on my FX8 is outboard (PolyTune) or I can use the FX8 tuner by holding P3 - so this is the same as my G System config - except on the G its on the "EDIT" button.

Other than that it's quite the same as my G System setup, apart from the fact that the effects routing is much, much more flexible on the FX8. I found the G very limited to having the same effect ordering with only a few routing options (serial, parallel and semi-parallel).

As a side note if I have a specific scene that has some weird effect then I put the scene number in the title of the preset (i.e. "Let's Dance (6)") so I know scene 6 (CLEAN2) has the extra delay effects.

I hope that helps ...

I agree with Eduard. In my situation, I play in a church band and most of the time I have to use so many different pads, shimmers, and other weird fx that one preset alone can't handle. I have a preset set up close to what Bread posted as my main preset. But I have to switch to other presets for ambient sounds.

Here's what the manual says about spillovers:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
SPILLOVER
Spillover allows delay and reverb tails to ring out when an effect is bypassed or when you change scenes or
presets. This section covers how to set up spillover in different scenarios.

WHEN MANUALLY BYPASSING OR CHANGING SCENES
This is easy and requires only one setting change. For tails to ring when an individual effect is bypassed by a
scene change, simply change its BYPASS MODE to “MUTE FX IN.” If an effect is set to parallel, use “MUTE IN” instead.

WHEN CHANGING PRESETS
Setting up spillover that works across different presets is a bit more involved. The first step is to set the
SPILLOVER setting on the SETTINGS page of the GLOBAL menu (page 68) to determine whether Delays,
Reverbs, or “BOTH” will spill over when you change presets. (“Delay” does not include Multi-Delay or Megatap blocks).

When you want spillover to happen between presets, you also need to ensure that the same delay or reverb
blocks exist in each of them. These need to be the same block and the same INSTANCE (i.e. Delay 1 spills
only through Delay 1 and Delay 2 spills only through Delay 2).
Ideally, the corresponding blocks in each preset should have the same settings as well. This is because the
moment you change to a new preset, the parameter settings for its blocks “take over” processing the tails.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I switch to a new preset I need the new sound to be heard. I don't want to fall into a scene that has the previous preset settings to get the spillover, to then switch to a new scene within the preset to get the sound I needed 3 seconds ago.

Check this out from another thread:

I've always wondered if the Looper memory could be used as a spillover buffer in the current generation of Fractal products, without any hardware changes. That's how the Strymon big box pedals solved spillover - when you change presets, you actually hear a short loop of the wet signal that quickly ramps down.

I'm an ex G System user also, Eduardo and I lay out my board like this.

S1 = MOD (block on/off for the mod block in the scene)
S2 = DLY (block on/off for the delay in the scene)
S3 = REV (block on/off for reverb in the scene)
S4 = SOLO - a scene dedicated to for guitar solos
S5 = CLEAN 1 - the cleanest sounding scene
S6 = CLEAN 2 - scene with a bit of hair on it.
S7 = CRUNCH - rhythm crunch scene
S8 = LEAD - rock type scene

They are the same layout across all presets and I use "Kicktags" to label them as above.

It works extremely well, but note :

I have never had any use for the "FILTER" button on the G as I use the "auto on" feature. This is the same configuration as I use on my FX8.

The tuner on my FX8 is outboard (PolyTune) or I can use the FX8 tuner by holding P3 - so this is the same as my G System config - except on the G its on the "EDIT" button.

Other than that it's quite the same as my G System setup, apart from the fact that the effects routing is much, much more flexible on the FX8. I found the G very limited to having the same effect ordering with only a few routing options (serial, parallel and semi-parallel).

As a side note if I have a specific scene that has some weird effect then I put the scene number in the title of the preset (i.e. "Let's Dance (6)") so I know scene 6 (CLEAN2) has the extra delay effects.

I hope that helps ...
---------------------------------------------

thanks for the info on your scenes setup! Today I finally found my ideal setup! I now set p1 to p8 global and then in sticky preset/bank mode the new preset list (v3.02) remains in the screen at all times. So I see 8 presets with their names in the screen and I can switch to each of them with just one click(large preset name turned off) This is what I was looking for this is it! you may want to try this also because scenes require the same blocks

---------------------------------------------

thanks for the info on your scenes setup! Today I finally found my ideal setup! I now set p1 to p8 global and then in sticky preset/bank mode the new preset list (v3.02) remains in the screen at all times. So I see 8 presets with their names in the screen and I can switch to each of them with just one click(large preset name turned off) This is what I was looking for this is it! you may want to try this also because scenes require the same blocks
If you use Sticky preset mode, the switches will automatically change to Preset switches. So no need to change the FS layer to Preset if you are always using Sticky presets when changing presets. I might be misunderstanding what you wrote though.

Direct from the Strymon website:

The TimeLine’s delay algorithms are computationally complex, and require the full capability of the SHARC processor to run. This presents a challenge regarding spillover, in that an additional processor would be required to run two simultaneous algorithms.

TimeLine enables spillover by recording the wet signal and playing it back when a new patch is selected. When a new patch is selected, the wet signal from the first patch is ‘looped’ at the first patch’s delay time interval, and played back while reducing in level based on the repeats value. In addition, the spillover signal is ramped down over a time period of 4 seconds. By ‘looping’ the wet signal, spillover can occur without the requirement of two simultaneous processors needed to run two algorithms.

When changing patches, the spillover delay needs to complete its fade-out before the spillover buffer can start recording the new patch’s wet signal. This means that switching patches quicker than 4 seconds will result in no spillover.

If the Repeats are set to zero, there will be no spillover signal as the spillover signal is multiplied by the Repeats level. Remember, the dry signal isn’t being recorded because that would require an additional processor to produce simultaneous spillover with the new selected patch.

Back
Top Bottom