Inserting Empty Block changes sound???

krcassid

Inspired
I was working on my Top Boost preset today and noticed an anomlie I've never noticed before: inserting an empty block before the amp (after the compressor) changes the sound substantially (see attached 2 captures--the only thing that was changed was I dragged an empty block from behind the reverb to the position in front of the amp). This should not do anything to the sound, right? But, it clearly does. In this particular preset, it changes the sound substantially for the worse (to my ears). I would say it adds a couple Db of gain and (perhaps) a little dirt. I was just messing around with adding a boost before the amp but I'd not added anything yet, just the empty block.

Am I just nuts or have I missed something basic along the way? I commonly insert +3 or +5 filter blocks before the amp but I never stopped to listen for a change before I actually added the filter. If this is the case, it changes editing dramatically. I thought these blocks were sonically "invisible". I triple checked both the amp & compressor--no changes in either.

Can anybody explain or replicate this behavior? I'm really confused. I am on FW 5. Preset is Bank B # 153 (Stock FW 5 preset)

Thx!

Attachments

• Top Boost.JPG
    Top Boost.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Top Boost w block.jpg
    Top Boost w block.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 39
Another wire after the chorus to your delay path was added when you shifted everything over.

You have a difference in chorus outputs. One is split, the other isn't. Could that be it?

I believe something like this has come up before, possibly by Clark Kent.
Not completely the same maybe. Anyway, Cliff (IMO rightfully) claimed it was impossible, but that's many firmwares ago...

Back
Top Bottom