INSANE FAS HAS EV-1 and EV-2 in stock. Help me decide....

Not blaming Fractal but somewhere along the line something is messed up.
Well, you were, but we'll move on because, yes, something is messed up.
How do you explain my $105 USD Studio Slips bag costing only $38 USD shipping?
I can't except that the bags contain a LOT of air when they ship so they might be a larger package, whereas the pedals are surprisingly "stout" and weigh more in a smaller package. Weight=money these days.

I have an amp I've been trying to sell for six months, and shipping is CRAZY expensive for a 1x12 combo that weighs about 60 lbs. Ship it across a border and many more fees get added, so I won't ship, it's local-pickup only.

The EV2 are great pedals. Not to knock them, but the Dunlop (X) Mini are also quite usable, though even smaller. Are the (X) Mini as well built? I don't think so, but I have a pair when I want to jam them into a bag. I prefer the EV2 but pick based on the location and my needs. There are alternatives and we discuss them often on the forum if you need more information.

Just to say it, shippers don't charge more or less depending on the cost of an item, unless you're including the price of insuring it.

All that matters is size, weight, and the from and to locations.

Last edited:
Just to say it, shippers don't charge more or less depending on the cost of an item, unless you're including the price of insuring it.

And then there are the things governments do to “stimulate their economies” but that doesn’t seem like it’d be applying here.

My FM9T weighs quite a bit yet shipping from FAS to CAD was around $200. I mean the FM9T might weight over 10-15 lbs. I'm not sure exactly but it feels heavy. It also has larger dimensions than the EV's.

The EV-1 weights 3 lbs and the EV-2 weights under 2 lbs, and both are smaller than my FM9 by huge margin, so I still can't understand how shipping from FAS to CAD would cost $100 USD. If it was like $38 USD I could understand.

I have to ask myself do I want the pedal so much I blow the same on shipping as I do the pedal? It's something I have to think about. Oh yeah I decided if I get it to get the EV-2. Greg says he has large feet and its usable and I do value compactness when packing things up in my new gig bag that's on the way from Studio Slips.

Not too fast. UPS Expedited or UPS Express shipping coming to over $100 Euros to Canada. WTF?

The Pedal only costs around that much.

At this shipping price I'll pass. Does FAS do FREE worldwide shipping that's slower than UPS?

If that is a concern you may consider more economic alternatives, like the Roland EV-5. It has exactly the same function when connected to the FM9 EXP Input, and it is available at any retailer at your country.

I've been stomping one for more than 30 years, and it is still fully functional.

Last edited:
My FM9T weighs quite a bit yet shipping from FAS to CAD was around $200. I mean the FM9T might weight over 10-15 lbs. I'm not sure exactly but it feels heavy. It also has larger dimensions than the EV's.

The EV-1 weights 3 lbs and the EV-2 weights under 2 lbs, and both are smaller than my FM9 by huge margin, so I still can't understand how shipping from FAS to CAD would cost $100 USD. If it was like $38 USD I could understand.

I have to ask myself do I want the pedal so much I blow the same on shipping as I do the pedal? It's something I have to think about. Oh yeah I decided if I get it to get the EV-2. Greg says he has large feet and its usable and I do value compactness when packing things up in my new gig bag that's on the way from Studio Slips.
Why don’t you just send an email to sales@fractalaudio.com instead of complaining here? They might be able to provide you with the explanation or even better: a cheaper shipping option.

Edit: I do agree that the shipping cost seems to be very high. Over here in Europe, shipping a 23kg parcel from Netherlands to a neighbouring country costs EUR 12,- so that is a huge difference.

Last edited:
Shipping prices for the EV pedals to Canada was shocking to me. I had to email FAS to confirm it was truth. Ended up buying two on reverb. I agree OP, the shipping seems wrong 🤷🏻

All currencies in our cart are in USD.

UPS is the problem regarding high shipping costs. We are having another call with UPS this coming Thursday, Dec 7. They have a proposal that they claim will result in their system offering lower prices to our customers in Canada.

The issue is simple: a previous regulation required us to only offer the very expensive 2-day Worldwide Expedited service. This is related to the fact that we use NRI importation to avoid brokerage fees -- which those of you in Canada know can be quite steep. Now, however, I'm told that there is a new less expensive shipping method that's compatible with our export process. We'll see... SOON.

Last edited:
Really hoping this will resolve the high prices. 166$ USD shipping for a single EV-1 is unacceptable. I'd rather deal with USPS duties than Pay that amount

I have owned both. They both do the job. I do not have a large foot (size 9 US). I prefer the larger pedal. The smaller pedal is great for saving space. If you really pile on the pedals like I do, make sure to leave some room around the smaller expression. Otherwise, you will accidentally be pushing buttons or turning knobs when working the expression. The larger pedal is almost 4lbs, so keep that in mind.

UPS is the problem regarding high shipping costs.
UPS is the Ticketmaster of couriers.

When I first started buying gear on eBay, I bought something that was within the province. The seller shipped the item with UPS. When the item arrived, I had a little chat with the courier and we go onto the topic of buying guitar gear on eBay, etc. He told me, 'whatever you do, don't use UPS across the border!'

Heeding his warning, anytime I bought something on eBay, Reverb, guitar shop sites, etc., I would always use USPS/Canada Post. In the hundreds of transactions I've made over the years, I never had any issues with USPS/Canada Post.

However, one time, I bought something from an eBay seller in San. Fran. He shipped the item via USPS/Canada Post, as requested by me. The item made it all the way to the local sorting centre, but for some reason, possibly a damaged label or missing information, the item was sent back to the seller. The seller felt bad, so to expedite the shipping, he used UPS and paid for the shipping. He told me after the fact, so it was too late for me to request USPS/Canada Post again. I think I paid around $50 for the item. When UPS showed up at my door, the driver was requesting $55 in brokerage fees before he would release the item to me.

If I recall, the only time I specifically used UPS, was when I bought guitar, an 87 LPC. It was just before Christmas and I was hoping to get it before Christmas, so I thought UPS was the best option. In the end, it arrived at the local terminal too late and it sat in a cold truck over the holiday's. Fortunately, when I did receive the guitar, all was good, but I did have to pay quite a bit in brokerage fees, which were on top of the shipping fees I had already paid upfront.

Several years ago, I received a letter in the mail, from a law firm. I opened it up and there were two cheques, made out to me. They were reimbursement cheques for those two UPS shipments, due to a successful class action lawsuit, that others had filed against UPS, for charging outrages cross border brokerage fees.

Here's the Notice of Settlement;

https://collectiva.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/ups-NOTICE_OF_SETTLEMENT_APPROVAL.pdf

I always use USPS/Canada Post and never had a problem, except for that one time. I just recently bought an LED sign from an eBay seller in California and asked if he would ship via USPS Expedited Parcel, which he did. I ended up paying about $150 CDN, of that about $50 was shipping. It was delivered to my door in 6 business days, with no additional charges. From my experience, customs will typically not charge duty on items less than about $200. Also, the brokerage fees are included in the shipping cost, so no surprises.

Anyway...those are some of my experiences from nearly 20 years of buying and selling gear internationally. :)

EV2 works great and is easy to transport and fit on a board or stage. Unless you have huge feet, I recommend the EV2.

Maybe you just need to figure out your issue with your MOOG EP-3? Does it have one of those annoying little trim knobs on the side? Those must be in the correct position before calibration is possible. And if they are bumped afterword, your travels will be incorrect.

I have a 25+ year old plastic Roland EV-5 that still works perfectly (big man with a size 13 foot). I removed the trim knob years ago. Some people just hot glue that knob in the correct position to prevent it from moving.

We'll see... SOON.
fish mooney GIF

Have you been living under a rock?
Shipping costs have gone up astronomically post-covid.
Try shipping an amp these days. It's almost double what it was. Before covid I shipped a 50lb amp head for about 95$ to the US. Post-covid it was $225.00! Not much you can do about it.

The price for the shipping includes and brokerage, duties and fees from UPS. Not always a fan of UPS but it is who they use.
I ordered 2 EV-2 pedals last Thursday when I found out they had them in stock. I got them by Monday afternoon in Ontario, Canada.
That is pretty damn quick. No issues with the shipping costs at my end. I got the product I wanted (and needed!) quickly. The prices was 97$ to receive both. I paid no extra duties or taxes when it got to my door. All in.

Not really been living under a rock. I frequently order from the US.
A business usually has preferred rates.

1701959944694.png

Here's an example for a US retailer on shopify powered store for an item of similar size and weight (USD)
1701960197510.png

I paid no extra duties or taxes when it got to my door.
You paid no extra duties because, I believe, FAS has an agreement with UPS. It's already factored into their shipping cost.

As you said, shipping for two pedals, to Ontario, is $97 USD, which is $133.25 CAD.

1701962545204.png

As I mentioned in a previous post, I bought an LED sign on eBay, that came in a box 12" x 26" x 4" and weighed just under 5 pounds. Shipping with USPS/Canada Post, from Diamond Bar, California to Ontario, was $48.80 USD or $66.45 CAD. It arrived in 6 days and I didn't pay any additional fees.

Now, the weight of two pedals may be a bit more, so shipping could be a little higher, depending on where the weight thresholds are, but shipping from FAS, which is closer, should offset the increase in price due to weight.

I mean absolutely no disrespect to FAS, there must be a reason why they use UPS, but it would be nice to have other options available, particularity when shipping to Canada.

UPS didn't even fight the Ontario class action lawsuit against them, they settled out of court. That must say something about their previous billing practices. Whether or not they are still doing it...you be the judge.

From my experience, anything around $200 and under, customs usually will not bother with it. If they do, or anything above $200, customs and taxes added are around 18% CAD of the declared value. If an item is shipped with USPS/Canada Post, the brokerage fees are included in the shipping cost.

Last edited:
I have a pair of EV-1's and love them. For the most part, I use one of them as a dedicated Volume pedal, and the other for effects. They feel great underfoot, and I am able to make precise sweeps and adjustments. At first, they felt a little big, but now I prefer the larger size. Good luck!

You paid no extra duties because, I believe, FAS has an agreement with UPS. It's already factored into their shipping cost.

Exactly and that is in my post.
I agree with you....another option would be nice to provide a lower cost.

Back
Top Bottom