Input Vol: controller 10 speed

clarky

Axe-Master
is there a way to change the rate at which the input volume [MIDI controller 10] reacts?

at some moments [like end of song, or during some transitions within a song] I like to stomp on the tail of the XP as if it were an 'input kill switch'

I've noticed that it's not extremely quick in the way a regular volume pedal would be
it feels ever so slightly damped..

it's not a major prob for me, I was just wondering if there was a way I could make it feel a touch more immediate cos that'd be quite cool

There isn't a specific speed on each MIDI CC; there's just the MIDI communication speed overall. Transmitting the CC value as you move the pedal can't obviously happen as fast as an analog volume pedal. But it should be fast enough to be imperceptible in real time use.

Since you're adjusting the input volume, have you considered that you might be hearing various tails (reverb, delay, MTD, MGT, cab block room parameter)?

Do you have any damping on the controller?

Also, are either your midi controller or Axe Fx midi channel set to "omni"?

There isn't a specific speed on each MIDI CC; there's just the MIDI communication speed overall. Transmitting the CC value as you move the pedal can't obviously happen as fast as an analog volume pedal. But it should be fast enough to be imperceptible in real time use.

Since you're adjusting the input volume, have you considered that you might be hearing various tails (reverb, delay, MTD, MGT, cab block room parameter)?

yes I didn't think there was a damp setting for this one..
it's not reverb / or delay tails I'm hearing..

interestingly, I have an XP assigned to a bunch of modifiers that seems to react a little quicker

I've wondered if there is a way to change the Volume expression curve to something other than linear? It's just an awkward "curve" for me as is (rig was set up by someone else, so I've never had to look into it very deeply). Thanks for any help!

I've wondered if there is a way to change the Volume expression curve to something other than linear? It's just an awkward "curve" for me as is (rig was set up by someone else, so I've never had to look into it very deeply). Thanks for any help!
The taper parameter in the VOL/PAN block does exactly this. From the manual:

VOLUME TAPER – Sets the “taper” of the volume control. “LINEAR” selects a linear taper. Log 30A, 20A, 15A, 10A and 5A select various tapers typically used for volume control.​

The taper parameter in the VOL/PAN block does exactly this. From the manual:

VOLUME TAPER – Sets the “taper” of the volume control. “LINEAR” selects a linear taper. Log 30A, 20A, 15A, 10A and 5A select various tapers typically used for volume control.​

Dumb question likely: So is this a global feature or do I have to place a VOL/PAN block in every preset?

As I wrote, it's a feature of the VOL/PAN block.

I understand what you wrote; I saw the word block.

I mentioned that I use Volume globally - is there a taper feature for the global function (without adding a block to each preset)? If not, then blocks it is ... ;)

just to clarify
I'm not using a vol block.. it's MIDI CC 10
so this is the MFC: XP directly controlling the Axe input level

I'm going to try a little experiment later..
vol block vs MIDI CC 10 just to see if the behaviour is different

There's no modifier used for the global controls like input and output volume, so you don't have any way of adjusting it. You could put a vol/pan block first on the grid and use that for more control. Another option is to enable tuner mute and use the tuner as a kill switch for the input.

I'm using and old Art X-15 that has 2 expression pedals. One is used for volume and the other used for WAH. My volume, (as well as WAH) have no hesitations. The volume will kill immediately. May I suggest, if you are not able t achieve this with your setup, create a mute button and step on it when you need total immediate kill. I use to use a mute setting on my controller. Then as I got older, I would accidently step on it, which can be a little embarrassing:blush:

There's no modifier used for the global controls like input and output volume, so you don't have any way of adjusting it. You could put a vol/pan block first on the grid and use that for more control. Another option is to enable tuner mute and use the tuner as a kill switch for the input.

yes I agree..
my older presets used to use a vol block for this purpose..
that was until Yek introduced me to the the MIDI CC 10 feature, which I prefer for a couple of reasons..
- it works across all presets
- it consumes no grid real-estate

to be honest.. this slight lag is not really causing me any serious trouble at all.. so I'm not complaining..
it was more of an observation

I'm using and old Art X-15 that has 2 expression pedals. One is used for volume and the other used for WAH. My volume, (as well as WAH) have no hesitations. The volume will kill immediately. May I suggest, if you are not able t achieve this with your setup, create a mute button and step on it when you need total immediate kill. I use to use a mute setting on my controller. Then as I got older, I would accidently step on it, which can be a little embarrassing:blush:

this is interesting.. I have a couple of controllers..
an X-15, FC-300 and an MFC-101
what you're saying implies that it may not be the Axe that's lagging, rather it could be the MFC..
like I said previously, this behaviour isn't causing me any great pain…
but it is nice to understand some of these subtle behaviours

I can try a few experiments.. maybe assign MIDI CC 10 to one of the XP's on the FC-300
maybe pump CC 10 right out of Logic Pro into the Axe
and of course the easy / obvious experiment is to use a vol block and control it via a modifier
just to see how they behave..

given that my XP's are Boss VF-500's, I can always just use one as a normal vol pedal
I'll try it to see if I prefer the 'feel' of it.. and also to determine what the tone impacts are because now I'll have two pretty long cables.. one from guitar to vol, the other vol to Axe

It's most likely the way the Axe is handling CC#10 since any other changes from the MFC are instant. Vol/Pan block response is as fast as I can move the pedal. There's most likely some preset amount of dampening applied to the Input Volume parameter. It's usually done to protect against dirty or scratchy pots in expression pedals. With no dampening, the control would jump around like crazy if the pot is dirty or worn and you'd hear it crackle through the amp. Dampening smooths out any sudden glitches from the pot and provides a smooth sweep in the controller. Since there are only 128 discrete values for any CC message it also helps to smooth out the stair step effect you might otherwise hear when sweeping the pedal. Default dampening for modifiers is 10 ms but is adjustable. The Input Volume control probably has more for some reason. Perhaps Cliff could open up some global parameters for those controls to make them adjustable. Maybe a global controller page in the I/O menu or something.

It's most likely the way the Axe is handling CC#10 since any other changes from the MFC are instant. Vol/Pan block response is as fast as I can move the pedal. There's most likely some preset amount of dampening applied to the Input Volume parameter. It's usually done to protect against dirty or scratchy pots in expression pedals. With no dampening, the control would jump around like crazy if the pot is dirty or worn and you'd hear it crackle through the amp. Dampening smooths out any sudden glitches from the pot and provides a smooth sweep in the controller. Since there are only 128 discrete values for any CC message it also helps to smooth out the stair step effect you might otherwise hear when sweeping the pedal. Default dampening for modifiers is 10 ms but is adjustable. The Input Volume control probably has more for some reason. Perhaps Cliff could open up some global parameters for those controls to make them adjustable. Maybe a global controller page in the I/O menu or something.
I don't think it's the AXE at all, because I'm using global volume and my volume pedal reaction is instant and smooth. There is no erratic behavior or lag.

In the axe fx standard/ultra there was no damping on this ans i could hear the zipper effect when it was attached to a expression pedal. It seems like they added some damping this time but still too much for some?

Do you have any reverb on?

Back
Top Bottom