Input problem??

Your thread at The Gear Page in the Digital and Modeling section.

Sorry, I don't know where that first part came from. I meant I was curious what I was doing wrong with the AX8. I loved my XL but I was struggling with its little brother, thought I'd ask why for my own peace of mind.

Since I've been using an 08 Les Paul axcess , I am disappointed with every other guitar I've tried with humbuckers , thru my AX8. No other can match the thick tone (and the available split coils). For my latest gig , I auditioned 8 guitars for a backup. I even have an LP junior from the 90's with the same pickups , without the split , and the tone was no where near close.

IMO , the sign of a great amp is being able hear a change of guitars. It says a lot about the AX8.

I don't have an Axe 2 to compare to but I feel the input on my Ax8 is a bit strange also. Like there is some sort of compression or ??? effecting the signal. Many amps are noisy, overly so. I thought after the 2.02 update it was better but it turned out only the Triaxis had less noise.

Since I've been using an 08 Les Paul axcess , I am disappointed with every other guitar I've tried with humbuckers , thru my AX8. No other can match the thick tone (and the available split coils). For my latest gig , I auditioned 8 guitars for a backup. I even have an LP junior from the 90's with the same pickups , without the split , and the tone was no where near close.

IMO , the sign of a great amp is being able hear a change of guitars. It says a lot about the AX8.
So you don't hear a difference with different guitars... Or..? I don't understand the issue.

just as a data point, I took my AX8 to a rehearsal and different people and guitars tried it. All sounded great and different due to guitar.

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't know where that first part came from. I meant I was curious what I was doing wrong with the AX8. I loved my XL but I was struggling with its little brother, thought I'd ask why for my own peace of mind.

It is odd, because I use a lot of different guitars with different output pickups (Strats, Teles, LP, PRS, P90's). I have not run into any problems like you have described. I have nothing else to offer, hope you figure it out.

But I still maintain that the JB is a horrible pickup, LOL!

It is odd, because I use a lot of different guitars with different output pickups (Strats, Teles, LP, PRS, P90's). I have not run into any problems like you have described. I have nothing else to offer, hope you figure it out.

But I still maintain that the JB is a horrible pickup, LOL!

Truthfully I'm not a huge fan of it either. Been thinking of swapping it out for a while now.

A lot of people like them. Very mid heavy, thick, and a bit dark. I had one that was stock in the bridge position in a Relic Strat. I swapped it out for a Suhr SSH. I like the Suhr pickup a lot better.

A lot of people like them. Very mid heavy, thick, and a bit dark. I had one that was stock in the bridge position in a Relic Strat. I swapped it out for a Suhr SSH. I like the Suhr pickup a lot better.

Probably would't be bad if I could lower it but it's body mounted.

Be sure you're not clipping the input. If you are, increase the input pad. You don't have to change the pad when you switch guitars. Just set it for your hottest guitar.

I think this helped me also. I didn't hear any clipping but it seems better now.

Thanks.

Thanks, that sorted it out. I reduced the pad to -12 and I'm adjusting patches for the Charvel which has the super hot JB pickup.

I'll have to speak with engineering because I'm pretty sure I told them to make -12 the default. It's better to have less S/N than risk clipping.

I'll have to speak with engineering because I'm pretty sure I told them to make -12 the default. It's better to have less S/N than risk clipping.
Good to know, it was one of the first settinga I had to mess with. But the general logic I had said that I wanted as close to zero as possible on the pad, so going all the way to 12 or 18 seemed disappointing... Even for my x2n. 12 being the default makes it a lot easier to understand.

Back
Top Bottom