Input level

andyp13

Power User
just got my Axe III today - read this in the manual...
Except at very low settings (5% or less), input level adjustments do not affect gain levels. As you
adjust the level to the A/D converter, its output compensates accordingly, so your signal remains
exactly the same when it hits the grid and any virtual amps or effects.

On my strat with a humbucker in the bridge the input meter on the front panel hits red above 1% and on my 335 with dirty fingers the highest I can go is 4% so this IS going to effect the gain levels

Odd... Mine is 100% and my IBZ USA bridge humbucker never even get into the red.

The 85/15 pickups in the PRS CE-24 I just got will occasionally light the red LED.

My Axe Fx II was the same.

The highest I can go is 5% with my 335 and it still clips the red. My strat when switched to the humbucker (EMG 89) is on red constantly but when on the single coils (EMG SA’s) they don’t go into the red. To stop the strat clipping on red I need to be 0%

Am I ok letting the input hit red? Is it just the outputs I should keep out of the red?

Odd... Mine is 100% and my IBZ USA bridge humbucker never even get into the red.

The 85/15 pickups in the PRS CE-24 I just got will occasionally light the red LED.

My Axe Fx II was the same.

100% wow your pickups must be very weak, I have a 60’s Tele with weak pickups but that can’t go above 30% without clipping?

Sigh ... This topic has been discussed at length over the years. Nothing has changed in the Axe-Fx III.

The Input LED indicates the input with regard to the signal-to-noise ratio.

If you're always hitting red on the input (make sure you're looking at the input LED), turn down Input Level in I/O, but stay above 5%. If even then you're still hitting red all the time, it's fine, don't worry about it. It's not clipping.

More info:
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2...d_setting_levels#Setting_the_main_input_level

It's a different story with the output LEDs.

The output LEDs indicate the level in the digital domain. On the II they used go red when reaching -6 dB, but this has changed. The threshold is now -1 dB. Meaning that you'll want to avoid going red on the output LEDs.

More info:
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2..._setting_levels#Setting_the_main_output_level

Sigh ... This topic has been discussed at length over the years. Nothing has changed in the Axe-Fx III.

The Input LED indicates the input with regard to the signal-to-noise ratio.

If you're always hitting red on the input (make sure you're looking at the input LED), turn down Input Level in I/O, but stay above 5%. If even then you're still hitting red all the time, it's fine, don't worry about it. It's not clipping.

More info:
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2...d_setting_levels#Setting_the_main_input_level

It's a different story with the output LEDs.

The output LEDs indicate the level in the digital domain. On the II they used go red when reaching -6 dB, but this has changed. The threshold is now -1 dB. Meaning that you'll want to avoid going red on the output LEDs.

More info:
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2..._setting_levels#Setting_the_main_output_level

I’m well within the limits on the Output

I’m at ~ 30%.

For my PRS P24, I have 58/08 HB which tickles the red consistently. On a custom Ron Ellis set of SCs ~ 7.5 ohms I never hit the red. Sounds great!

Might be a cool feature if we had a switch for different guitars that would be fixed. Or it’s just fine the way it is.

I never chimed into the previous threads on this, but strange that some can go at 100%. I am at 5% with my Tom Andersons and still hitting red. Weird for me but I just decided it is what it is........

I never chimed into the previous threads on this, but strange that some can go at 100%. I am at 5% with my Tom Andersons and still hitting red. Weird for me but I just decided it is what it is........
Well, in addition to how hot the pickups are, pickup height will have a lot to do with it too, also how hard or soft someone's playing style tends to be...

Well, in addition to how hot the pickups are, pickup height will have a lot to do with it too, also how hard or soft someone's playing style tends to be...

Yeah, I'd start by looking at lowering the pickups if it's spiking that hard. I have an aerodyne bass that I run the pickups real high for a specific type of tone through a tube overdrive, and that thing would destroy the input meters on the axe if I ran it directly in. Plain old dimarzio bass pups too... lowering them would bring it back down into sane territory.

Back
Top Bottom