• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Input level

Rockin Axe

Regular
Best answers
Got mine at 25.5 at the moment. I'll get a red flicker or two when I hit really hard with my Les Paul (Duncan JB).

0.8! :shock What in the world are you using for pickups, industrial electro-magnets and car batteries? :lol
Ha ha you're a pisser mr_fender!

Rockin Axe

Regular
Best answers
Seymour Duncan has a tone chart (as most of you know) that displays the eq (bass, mids, treble) of a particular pickup from 0 to 10.
The Heavy Metal Livewire tone chart went something like this (from memory)
Bass: 7
Treble: 5
Mids: 11 - yep 11! The mids were off the chart! I'm used to the pickup now after playing with it for years live, but if I get a friend up to play,
the guitar squeals it's head off as they can't handle the output!
Here's a bit of a spiel of the pickup below in a link. They don't make this pup anymore.
Seymour Duncan LW-HMET Livewire Metal Humbucker | Musician's Friend

Rockin Axe

Regular
Best answers
I have to ask: can you even get a clean sound out of it? :lol
Ha! Well with 'normal' guitars with normal or hot pickups, if you switch to the humbucker, you get a clean/crunchy sound. In the humbucker and middle position, you get a typical strat nasal sound. With my humbucker, there is NO WAY you can get a clean sound from it. If I'm in a clean preset (shiver amp) and i flick to the humbucker, I swear it sounds
like i've changed presets to a Friedman HBE! Obviously my clean sounds come from my single coils but there's no way you'll get anywhere near a clean sound from that humbucker.

I remember watching Cooper Carter in one of his videos. He was on a clean amp preset and he flicked to his humbucker and it sounded nice and crunchy and usable. I remember thinking to myself, I'd love my humbucker to be able to be as clean as that! Having said that, as a dirty pup - it's sickening!

Reactions: Rex

gitfruit

Inspired
Best answers
I found I had to raise input level from 48% to 55% to tickle the red with Q1b. Anyone else noticed a difference? I play heavy strings and have Suhr Aldrich humbuckers in my main guitar. Maybe I should change my strings...

NeoSound

Fractal Fanatic
Best answers
I found I had to raise input level from 48% to 55% to tickle the red with Q1b. Anyone else noticed a difference? I play heavy strings and have Suhr Aldrich humbuckers in my main guitar. Maybe I should change my strings...
I set the gain (amp) till everything sings but no more because I like to hear the sound of the guitar/pickups and more gain seems to hide a lot of those little nuances. With quantum I've noticed I have to pick a little harder to hear the smoothing effect of the gain. Exactly like old tube amps I used to have when I didn't have a drive pedal.

Rex

Legend!
Best answers
I set the gain (amp) till everything sings but no more because I like to hear the sound of the guitar/pickups and more gain seems to hide a lot of those little nuances. With quantum I've noticed I have to pick a little harder to hear the smoothing effect of the gain. Exactly like old tube amps I used to have when I didn't have a drive pedal.
I completely agree with your approach. But the current discussion is about Input Lexel, not amp gain. Different beast together.

Top Bottom