Input gain and metering

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ability to attach clips on Axe Change is a great idea, and it would actually solve the issue of knowing what the preset maker intended.
A clip of the dry signal used would be as or more valuable as it could be used to reconstruct the exact output in the patch subscribers own environment (input level, guitar tonality, hands, all of it). Just having an output clip I think could still leave users scratching thier heads about how that tone got achieved exactly (even with preset in hand).

Yes, the authenticity vs flexibility issue was discussed several pages back. It’s not an either/or situation. You should be able to have both in a digital modeler. There are pros and cons to both. Neither one is wrong. Nobody is being forced to use the global input gain control. If you don’t use it, the amp responds like the original tube amp. If you do use it, it can be quite useful. Austin Buddy mentioned above he finds it useful to apply a compensation for different guitars. There’s another thread at the moment that is discussing using multiple inputs as a way to apply compensation for different guitars. There are multiple correct viewpoints here.

I use it for exact the same reason.. Just tweaking different guitars to meet preset balance. The onboard global gain and input level / eq seem to glean better results than a front of signal MXR 10 band or Qstrip (for example), too.

..Somebody else threw it out there, but I agree: I would love to have the ability to store and recall via footswitch preset global input/gain/ EQ settings.. You will never get two guitars to sound exactly the same, but, that's not really the point. More to better balance the presets in a pinch.. I have well over 20 guitars.. Ideally I would have presets each catering to them.. But.. hell no.

I don't use other people's presets, but.. As an option, I don't see nothing wrong with what you are putting across. Just another tool in the box is all ...different strokes and all that.

I too have broken a string on a 'Paul, in a live situation, and looked at my Strat thinking "oh, balls.. " :0) ..That was back in the day - not with an AXE III though.. But for that reason alone, it would be nice to get input and gain characteristics to different instruments in the same ballpark, in a pinch.

The point I've made in this thread is that the input level adjustment alone may or may not get you very close to the tone the preset maker intended.

I agree, it wouldn't in many or even most cases, if you're talking about an exact tone match, but just getting the levels in the same ballpark is a good start. Without a reference clip you're basically just guessing anyway. My experience is that probably 90% of the clean to mid gain presets work fine for me after just tweaking the levels. Unfortunately, my original observation was that I had to tweak the levels on about 90% of the presets, which is what got the whole thing started.

But the main difference is that the input trim on the amp happens after any other blocks between the input and the amp. Like a drive pedal for instance, would be hit with your normal input signal then the amp trim would boost or cut whatever that result is. So if a hot pickup makes a drive pedal breakup and a low output pickup doesn't that will still be different if you're using amp input trim.

I hadn't thought of that, that's a good point. The Cooper Carter presets were all basically input-amp-cab so amp trim worked by itself.

this post is going around in a circle
circle this post is going around in a
a circle this post is going around in
in a circle this post is going around
around in a circle this post is going
going around in a circle this post is
is going around in a circle this post
post is going around in a circle this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom