Input 1 is clipping at 8% - is that crazy?

fuzzyoctaves

Inspired
My guitar has always gone through a buffered pedal (FreqOut) before hitting the Instr input. I removed the pedal and now I am getting an orange "In1 Clip" message on the Axe display. I have to take it down to 7.3% to avoid any clipping. My bridge pickup is a PRS HFS (15k Ceramic).

Is this crazy low? I certainly can't "tickle the red" when I switch to a strat singlecoil.

Noob question: what are you adjusting to fix the clipping? I’m having this problem occasionally, too.

My guitar has always gone through a buffered pedal (FreqOut) before hitting the Instr input. I removed the pedal and now I am getting an orange "In1 Clip" message on the Axe display. I have to take it down to 7.3% to avoid any clipping. My bridge pickup is a PRS HFS (15k Ceramic).

Is this crazy low? I certainly can't "tickle the red" when I switch to a strat singlecoil.
Yup, my PRS metal pickups made me drop the input down pretty low (idk, maybe 5-8%) to prevent clipping.

I have an PRS Custom24 with 85/15 humbuckers pickup. I have set the input 1 sensitivity to 30%: no clipping.
With My strat with Fat50 singlecoil I set it on 35%.
So also Check the height of your pickup.

From manual: is better don’t go down over the 5%.
All above the 5% works well.

Not crazy at all. I set mine for the Majesty with the boost (on the guitar) on, and I have to set it at 3.9%.

Anything above that, and it clips. I use the boost here and there, so that's where it gets set.

Everything sounds fine.

I have an PRS Custom24 with 85/15 humbuckers pickup. I have set the input 1 sensitivity to 30%: no clipping.
With My strat with Fat50 singlecoil I set it on 35%.
So also Check the height of your pickup.

From manual: is better don’t go down over the 5%.
All above the 5% works well.
The manual is not quite correct.

Cliff has said before to set it as needed.

10% here with my Les Paul and Duncan JB in the bridge, but I'm kind of heavy handed. Low settings are just fine. You're not losing anything. The input circuit is very low noise and 24 bit audio has ample dynamic range.

Yeah I'm somewhere around 5 too now. I think when I first bought I was tickling the red a little above 50%

Yeah it seems like its range accommodates very cold pickups so even with middle of the road pickups my % is lower than I would've guessed. That unconscious expectation '50 = middle of the road' doesn't hold with this setting.

Yeah it seems like its range accommodates very cold pickups so even with middle of the road pickups my % is lower than I would've guessed. That unconscious expectation '50 = middle of the road' doesn't hold with this setting.
I don't really agree.

My setting is about 60-70 (from my memory).

As I've said before, I suspect a lot of the results are based on technique, pick attack, pick material, etc.

The clipping seems triggered mostly by the transients.

I don't really agree.

My setting is about 60-70 (from my memory).

As I've said before, I suspect a lot of the results are based on technique, pick attack, pick material, etc.

The clipping seems triggered mostly by the transients.
60-70... You've got a light touch then? I'd be clipping all the time anywhere near there.

I do use Bog Street hollow middle picks, love them, which are harder than average and certainly do more loud transients - but even with a Jazz III I'd be killing the clipping at 60.

Back
Top Bottom