Input 1 gate vs using a Decimator.

I remember a post by @FractalAudio saying not to use the input gate, specifically the noise reducer plus the gate block, is this still considered "best practise"?

Obviously whatever works for each person and gives them the result they want is the solution they need rather than maybe what should be done.

@AlGrenadine I take it you prefer the gate before the amp rather than post amp with the sidechain source set to input 1?

I also use the low cut 1000Hz high cut 1000Hz settings, works great.
I didn't try these settings post-amp but i will ;)

Yes, and no : expander just after the noise filter (input 1 block):
View attachment 139237

Then expander :

View attachment 139238

Of course, these settings were created at gig volume. In my tests, the notes have more sustain than with the Decimator, which i had to set to about -32/-40 dB threshold
Could you please share why you use both the Input noise gate and the Gate block? I don't understand why you would need both in succession the way you're using them.

What else do you want to remove?

I use very hi-gain amps and only use Input noise gate now (used to use gate block before v 25). Not looking to judge...looking to understand.
What the noisefilter doesn't
Try it, if you use my settings, using only the noisefilter with gig volumes and higain you'll still have a lot of noise even when muting strings...

I remember a post by @FractalAudio saying not to use the input gate, specifically the noise reducer plus the gate block, is this still considered "best practise"?
Can anyone else confirm? I’ve had my input gate set to noise reducer for months. I use a gate block after the amp, so the input gate isn’t really doing anything anyway. Figured it can’t hurt, but I could be wrong. I don’t play at gig volumes lately.

Yes, and no : expander just after the noise filter (input 1 block):
View attachment 139237

Then expander :

View attachment 139238

Of course, these settings were created at gig volume. In my tests, the notes have more sustain than with the Decimator, which i had to set to about -32/-40 dB threshold

Woohooo ! so I´ve tried your settings with noise reducer in the IN 1 block and I´m super impressed !

I can clearly hear, how it reduces the noise without altering the dynamics, especially when I´m in the single coil mode on my LP.

I have almost no noise with single coil mode, that´s crazy !

With my old settings in the IN 1 block (Intelligent mode) it works like a standard gate.

Now with your settings, it significantly reduces unwanted noise and I can use my gate block with my old settings and it works like a charm together.

Now it´s the first time in loooong time that I prefer the fractal gates compared to ISP decimator / Revv G8.

thank you so much for this inspiration @AlGrenadine and thank you @FractalAudio for doing your thing for us all ! 👏🙏

Back
Top Bottom