Information About The AxeFX II

Hello everyone, I am very interested in the AxeFX II but I have some questions, so I figured I'd ask the users about their experience with the product.

1) From a user perspective, how reliable is the unit?

I work with rack mounted, software based equipment everyday at work, and while I am used to dealing with it, I am hesitant to introduce it into my guitar rig, as I'm not a huge fan of the possible software issues (compatibility, bugs, etc) that digital equipment might introduce. (My Line 6 Pod HD500 has decided to take a dump and glitches like crazy now, so I'm concerned with investing in another, much more expensive device)

2) How user friendly is the device?

Am I able to make the AxeFX II as simple or as complex as I need it to be?

3) I know the AxeFX II has been out for a while now, and while nobody will really know the answer to this question, is now a good time to buy or should I hold out for an AxeFX III?

I'd hate to get my brand-new AxeFX II and then find out in less than a year the even better AxeFX III comes out for the same price.

4) I use a Macintosh, with Mountain Lion, How well does the AxeFX II integrate with Logic Express?

I know that it has a USB connection now, how seemless is the interface?

Thank you everyone who has taken the time to read my questions and answer them, again I am looking for truthful answers from the people who have spent their hard earned money on this unit.

Hi.

1) Good. The quality matches what we expect from such a device.

2) Very user friendly. Yes it has lots of parameters and options but one does not need to tweak everything. For a normal usage the workflow is super easy (my opinion)

3) No Axe III before a couple of years. It has been said here on the forum. The II is barely 1.5 years old. You can buy the II.

4) I don't use a Mac with Mountain Lion but I guess there is no problems at all. The Mac drivers were updated a few month ago.

1) Very I have a few years of axe use with 0 problems

2) Yes once you get a grasp of the grid you should be up and running quickly

3) Based on things Clif has said I say buy now

4) not sure I think so

All as above except i can not get satifactory usb audio interface usablity with my mac. no i/o mix controls and poor latency. i get great results with every other aspect of it. but i just stick with designated audio interfaces with a couple built in Mic pres.

ahhh cool... a questionnaire...

had my unit for almost a year.. not had any probs yet...
I'll be touring with it for the first time in May

if you've had rack mounting multi-fx units before you'll come to realise that the Axe is no more or less complex than any of them via the front panel..
the look and fell of the unit is nice and 'grown up'

2a )Am I able to make the AxeFX II as simple or as complex as I need it to be?
your fx chain can be anything from a single amp and cab to highly complex series and parallel signal routings with masses of real-time control..
so... it is what you want it to be... you line up the hoops and generally you can find a way to make the Axe jump through them..

3) I know the AxeFX II has been out for a while now, and while nobody will really know the answer to this question, is now a good time to buy or should I hold out for an AxeFX III?
The Axe-II still has more capabilities being thrown it's way..
there's no sign of an Axe-III beyond Cliff and co playing top trumps with ideas and 'what if'
you can wait for an Axe-III if you wish, but I think it'll be years rather than months

4) I use a Macintosh, with Mountain Lion, How well does the AxeFX II integrate with Logic Express?
I have a Mac with Snow and Logic Pro. I've had no issues so far. But I do not record directly from the Axe into Logic

4a) I know that it has a USB connection now, how seemless is the interface?
I don't use the audio interface in the Axe. Not because it's bad, but because I prefer to work differently. A personal choice thing.

Awesome thank you everyone for the replies!

Any other fantastic reasons why I should invest in an AxeFX II? I've been thinking about playing music in general and the direction of which gear is heading and I'd say that it is becoming greatly beneficial as the next generation of musicians to be tech savvy. While there are goods and evils about both sides of being a purist or an AxeFX user, I think the positives of being an Axe user out weigh the positives of being a purist.

So, Further sell me on one, since I can afford one.

Go! :D:lol

Awesome thank you everyone for the replies!

Any other fantastic reasons why I should invest in an AxeFX II? So, Further sell me on one, since I can afford one.

Go! :D:lol

The Ultra was (is) the real deal. Both in amp models and effect quality. The II has it trumped in NEARLY every measurable level. In other words- this COULD HONESTLY be the last multi-effect preamp unit you ever purchase....if you can dream it up- the Axe can do it......

I'm 36 years old, and about 20 of those years have been spent playing guitar and buying gear. Countless tube amps, cabs, high-end effects processors etc.. Hands down, this is the best unit on the planet for any guitarist with any playing style, period! I still have a tube amp and don't plan on selling it, but the sounds in this box have proven to be worth every cent. It's been a long time since a piece of gear has actually sounded so amazing to me that it's been difficult not to be inspired while playing through it, you gotta get one, that's all I can say.

I just recently moved from a POD HD 500 to the Axe II, so I think we have the same basic perspective.

I've only had my unit for a couple weeks, but within the first couple weeks with the HD 500, I knew it was quirky. This thing is much more reliable right off the bat.

Much more user friendly to program through the panel than the POD HD is. Unfortunately, the PC Software (Axe-Edit) is apparently unusable, so we're waiting on a new version. I think that turned out to be a blessing in disguise for me because after only a couple weeks, I'm very comfortable with the front panel interface and wouldn't hesitate to tweak things at a gig. Overall, it's very simple to do everything you can do on your HD500, but there is a whole other world of more advanced capabilities that I haven't experimented with yet.

I'm pretty sure your questions were already answered, but just to go sure I'd like to share my oppinion aswell:
Hello everyone, I am very interested in the AxeFX II but I have some questions, so I figured I'd ask the users about their experience with the product.

I work with rack mounted, software based equipment everyday at work, and while I am used to dealing with it, I am hesitant to introduce it into my guitar rig, as I'm not a huge fan of the possible software issues (compatibility, bugs, etc) that digital equipment might introduce. (My Line 6 Pod HD500 has decided to take a dump and glitches like crazy now, so I'm concerned with investing in another, much more expensive device)
Both hardware and software are very relyable, if used right.
The only known hardware issues are with the display, which sometimes has the ribbon cable seated not very well. For the rare case this happens, a simple screwdriver is enough to fix it.
There are some very minor software bugs here and there, like presets downloaded from axechange sometimes going in the wrong preset number or a volume value messing up in combination with scenes. But nothing that will mess up your live performance, as they are all related to dialing in the tone, not accessing them once stored.

I'd go as far to say that the Axe is WAY more relyable live than a tube amp, cables or stompboxes (hell, how many times did the input or output jacks of my pedals had a loose contact?).

Compatibility-wise, there are some issues with USB and macs. However, you can always use a seperate audio interface or use analogue connections to record/reamp/playback.

Am I able to make the AxeFX II as simple or as complex as I need it to be?
It can be anything from simple to rocket science. Some basic technical understanding or experience with modellers might come in handy, though, to understand what terms like "air" or "impulse response" mean. It's also nice to know the basics of MIDI, but the manual is pretty good in that regard.

I'd hate to get my brand-new AxeFX II and then find out in less than a year the even better AxeFX III comes out for the same price.
As fractal is still releasing one firmware update after the other, I think we won't see a new Axe in the next 3 years. Or maybe Cliff is actually a hydra and can concentrate his heads on engineering new stuff while still working his magic on firmware. ;)

I know that it has a USB connection now, how seemless is the interface?

Thank you everyone who has taken the time to read my questions and answer them, again I am looking for truthful answers from the people who have spent their hard earned money on this unit.
The USB connection does pretty well on windows machines, but there is a known bug that the connection messes up after some (like 30-45) minutes and requires the AXE to be rebooted.
Mac USB doesn't work so well with the Axe.
But I assume this is both going to be fixed with the next firmware update.

From a satisfied customer to a possible satisfied customer:
Don't think about it and order it! You'll love every piece of it.

Just some stuff you will dig about the Axe you will never experience with analogue gear or other modellers:
- constant improvements for free ... and I'm not talking about minor stuff. The last 3 FW updates alone were like buying a totally new OS.
- insane flexibility ... once you started to open up your mind with all the possibilities the axe provides, you will never look back
- extremely low on noise - digital sound processing, baby!... no cable coloring, no loose connections, no noise other than the noise that comes from your guitar
- 19" rack ... no more backpain from carrying 30kg guitar combos or cabs
- plug and play; I can't tell how much time I wasted on cabling and wiring my rigs over the years..., just plug in your guitar to the axe, connect the midi controller and there you go.
- it fucking sounds great ... for like 3 grands, you get a unit that will definitely kill your GAS ... well ... except for guitars. But I'd rather spend my money on new guitars than stompboxes or amps...

I'm 36 years old, and about 20 of those years have been spent playing guitar and buying gear. Countless tube amps, cabs, high-end effects processors etc.. Hands down, this is the best unit on the planet for any guitarist with any playing style, period! I still have a tube amp and don't plan on selling it, but the sounds in this box have proven to be worth every cent. It's been a long time since a piece of gear has actually sounded so amazing to me that it's been difficult not to be inspired while playing through it, you gotta get one, that's all I can say.

Same here. 40 years old. 25 years of playing. Except from a couple of months on a Flextone III, i`ve been owning tube`s.
Had no problem at all with the interface on the Ultra. (I read the manual countless times because i was curious, so that would help)

So AxeII is the same. Sounds like a dream. Best gear i ever paid for. Not any harder to use this than a amp with a big effect board. You still need to know what kind of sound you are looking for.

Fun, juicy questions, waiting to be answered. And everbody beats me to the punch and gives great answers, Phooey! :)

Any other fantastic reasons why I should invest in an AxeFX II? So, Further sell me on one, since I can afford one.
Not gonna do that. I'll be happy to answer whatever questions I can. Whether you buy one is important to you, but not not to me. In the end, you have to buy what's right for you, and what you feel comfortable with. Take what you know, fill in what you don't know by asking questions, then make your decision.

For what it's worth, here's my experience with the Axe-Fx (both Utra and II): When I walk through a music store, I look at most of the stuff there and ask, "Why? I've already got that in a 2U rack box." These days, when I look at a traditional tube rig, all I see are limitations.

For what it's worth, here's my experience with the Axe-Fx (both Utra and II): When I walk through a music store, I look at most of the stuff there and ask, "Why? I've already got that in a 2U rack box." These days, when I look at a traditional tube rig, all I see are limitations.

in truth... when you walk through the store, you've mostly likely got more types of amps than they have in the store, in the warehouse and in their catalogue...

I'm the same as you in the 'limitations' respect...
which is why I moved away from a traditional rig long ago..
from a control perspective I find them confining

Back
Top Bottom