In ear monitoring live

I play lead guitar for a Texas mega church and all band members have a board feed to Aviom in ear monitors which allows us to all control our own mix.

I've been using IEM's for the past three years or so. I mix the band minus my guitar with the Aviom, input the signal to a mini mixer along with stereo signal from the Axe-FX. The output from the mixer goes to the dbx IEM processor which limits and adds room simulation (reverb). All that goes to the Shure PSM 900. My tone is kept stereo and the sonic quality is maintained.

MK_rack_2013sm.jpg

I tried my IEM system again (PSM 900) at our venue with the Aviom system with quite good results. I just ran an XLR from the Aviom A360 (mono out) into one channel of the PSM and included my signal in the mix this time since I was more comfortable with mixing on the Aviom (it has reverb and pretty good EQ as well as an onboard mic for some ambient).

Pretty simple and great sound with my UE18s once I got the mix right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I m loving the X18, so convenient. Adjust my monitor mix from my phone on the mic stand 8). After they sort some minor iOS bugs, these things are lead the way to a new world imo.
I am looking at getting one of these. When I use their site it takes me to an iPad only app - is there an iPhone app as well that I am just not seeing?

I am looking at getting one of these. When I use their site it takes me to an iPad only app - is there an iPhone app as well that I am just not seeing?

the iPhone app is not out yet, they working in it.
so car my band is happy with just a single iPad

I use a Sennheiser EW300 system in "dual mono" mode. It allows me to mix two signals at the input to the transmitter. I have one coming directly from output 2 on the Axe. The second comes from a front panel jack where I connect the house "in-ear" send. It's nice because I have two separate level controls including an independent one (output 2) for my guitar level. Regardless of what they do with the house mix, I can always tweak my guitar monitor level independently.

I connect to an Aviom so the board feeds that and I set my own mix

What level do you expect to set your Axe at in the Aviom Channel, i..e do the LED channel lights typical get at sat 3 -5- light - 5 - 10. I've recently starting using Avioms at venue but the level coming back from the desk is inconsistent week over week, for eample I pretty much had to dime it to hear myself last night. Appreciate any insight on this - thanks. :)

Sounds like you are not getting enough signal back to you. You should get good level without going past 50%. Getting the Aviom system working well took us several weeks and I recommend you get with your sound people and devote an afternoon to dialing it in. I also found that the A360 units to be much easier to dial in than the A-16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My band bought several of the Carvin EM 900 systems. We got one used for $300, and 2 more on sale from Carvin at $350. They have gone up to $429 now. They work ok. I can't say I'm thrilled with the sound quality though. We get some RF noise, especially our singer who uses a wireless mic - that causes a little noise here and there.

For me, it's ok. I have a wireless system on my guitar too, but no real issues that I can't deal with ( a little static here and there... not too bad.) I am using the stock Carvin ear buds, and they lack bass response. Overall, the sound of these things is a bit thin (with any headphone I have tried.) There is a big difference between plugging headphones into a source straight and routing through the IEM system. But they get the job done for a low price. I'd like to try out the Sure PSM900 to see if there is a real difference in quality of sound.

We have an Allen&Heath QU-24 board, so everyone gets their own mix, and they can control their own mix from their phone or tablet, which is great! The board gives 3 stereo + 4 mono mixes, so we can run 7 different mixes. With a little smart sharing of mixes, everyone can have stereo if they want.

So, to answer the OP, I take my mix from the board. I also have 2 CLR's in front of me that I control with a line mixer in my rack. (so basically, I run both stage monitors and IEM's. I have a choice. I don't need both, I can go either way) I really only need the CLR's to give me a source for feedback, but with my line mixer I can get my vocals, guitar, and the band all in my CLR's if I wanted to.

How do you like the Dbx iem unit? Is it worth the $?

I'll assume that's for me.

I really value it. It adds Lexicon room simulation (a kind of reverb), limiting, a bit of EQ, etc. The room sim really helps with the dry, sterile signals like vocals and click track. Without it the click is like woody woodpecker in my brain. With the DBX it's a few inches in front of my face.....if that makes sense. I gigged once last year without it for a quick gig with only three songs. I used my little emergency pedal board. UGH. I really missed the DBX...and the great tone the Axe-fx has direct. A mic'd amp takes a lot of work to sound good in IEMs. I admit it. I'm spoiled.

BTW: You can find the DBX IEM for a great price on ebay if your patient. There's somebody giving it away for just $150 buy it now.

DBX Professionel Products Dbxiem in Ear Processor | eBay

It will be gone in 3....2....1....

Can anyone recommend ear buds under $300? I'm using Audio Technica M2 system with X-Air 18. The buds that came with the Audio Technica are single driver and I can't get a good guitar sound when micing a cabinet. I'm now using a Fractal AX8 and plan to go ampless, but I need to buy better buds. Any suggestions?

my band buy a X-Air 18 mixer witch a split patch bay for our monitors, I go direct to mixer and do my own mix form my iPad.
best 1500$ spend in a long time
This is what I'm considering for one of my bands. What are you using for the split patch bay?

Loving my fractal unit as much as I do I got tired of sound guys messing with my in-ear monitor sound.

So, this is my set up where I can control my own in-ear sounds for my vocals, my vocal effects, and my guitar. Those things go direct to my IEM.

I can take a feed in from the soundboard for the rest of the band.

This is what I'm considering for one of my bands. What are you using for the split patch bay?
My band uses 2 Art 8 Two way splitters, one feed to x32 Rack monitor board and other feed to FOH board. My only dislike is the Art has two push buttons for each channel, one of which is an input pad. But it doesn't light up to indicate "on" so in dark stage settings you need to check each button by feel to make sure it wasn't pushed when plugging in the cable. Otherwise a great, flexible setup.

i have the PSM 900 and love it. I bring a monitor feed into one side of the transmitter to get the rest of the band and then run the headphone jack out of the Axe to the other input of the transmitter and balance them with the Shure body pack and set my own volume here as well. Use an inexpensive set of etymotics and can hear everything really really well.

I've been using the 900 for almost 10 years and I never thought to use the body pack to adjust the mix. What game changer haha

We use a splitter snake, into x32, and 2 guys are on carvin em900's and 2 on sennheiser iemg3's. We use iphones and ipads to control everything. 2 guys with shure universals, and 2 of us with custom buds. there is a difference in sound quality with the carvin and sennheisers. No sound check, just plug and go. I run my axe into 2 channels panned hard left and right. other sources are panned around the stereo spectrum.

Back
Top Bottom