In defense of the hardware UI

benvigil

Experienced
TL;DR
I've come to the conclusion that the conventional wisdom claiming the hardware UI (AF3, FM9, FM3) is overly complicated and terrible, is entirely overblown. It's not. It's actually pretty good. With the exception of programming buttons, I could get on just fine with the hardware alone.

Is it as simple as the Kemper, Helix, or Quad Cortex? No.

But none of those have the width, depth, or breadth as the FAS ecosystem, and I think FAS has done an incredible job of cramming all that into a tiny form factor considering the power you have at your fingertips.

My brief history...
I've owned scores of amps and pedals, 3 Kempers, a couple AmpliFires, Helix Native/Stomp, Quilter Blocks, AX8, FM3 Gen1, and various plug-ins. But I've been off the FAS bandwagon for about 3 years until fairly recently when I picked up an FM3 (again). When I had my first Kemper (which is awesome, with a few caveats) I felt the pull to dive into FAS-land and got the AX8. I thought it was pretty good but I preferred the Kemper. I definitely had some of that "grass is greener" thing going on. I spent a lot of time tweaking some presets trying to replicate what came super easy on the Kemper, and eventually I got pretty close.

Or so I thought.

When I eventually decided to punt and switch back to the Kemper, it came as a huge revelation that I had been romanticizing the Kemper, and I actually preferred most of the presets I created on the AX8. Just to punish myself, I took a long and windy road through the Helix, AmpliFire, Quilter & analog pedalboards, and various plugins, etc.. They were all really good, don't get me wrong, but I could never get along with what I was hearing compared to the Kemper profiling and FAS modeling. I still think Kemper has the Marshall thing down a little better, but literally everything else is better in FAS land.

I've been hard on FAS at time (publicly or otherwise), but I thought I'd send some love their way for an awesome product line.

This thing (still) sounds simply amazing!

The UI for me is much improved from the Axe Fx II and pretty easy to use IF you learn how it works.

When I first got my Axe Fx III there was no Axe-Edit. I had to learn the front panel and got very comfortable with it.

After the editor came out, I often still just used the onboard UI because it wasn't worth the hassle of dragging my computer to my gear.

I use the editor a lot more now because my FM9 is on the floor, and I'm too old to be bending over editing ;)

And the editor is (of course!) a better experience. There's only so much that can be done on the physical hardware...

Those who complain have maybe never edited settings on older generation digital effects racks. That could be painful AND those units had nowhere near the depth of capabilities and configuration the Fractal devices have.

I use the editor a lot more now because my FM9 is on the floor, and I'm too old to be bending over editing ;)

This ^^^^

Getting down there isn't the issue. Getting back up can be problematic. No luck so far teaching Bennie to program the FM9 from the front panel....

And the editor is (of course!) a better experience. There's only so much that can be done on the physical hardware...

Yes. The -Edit software is great, and has gotten better over time.

Those who complain have maybe never edited settings on older generation digital effects racks. That could be painful AND those units had nowhere near the depth of capabilities and configuration the Fractal devices have.

LOL. True! I remember the old Yamaha GEX50. Talk about a PITA, and you only got 50 preset slots to save the tiny bit of stuff it could do....

I rarely use the software; I mostly program from the hardware UI.

Looking back, I can add that I also worked that way with the Axe FX II, the SoundSculpture Switchblade, the Digitech GSP-1101, the TC G-Force, the various PODs and POD-XTs, the Digitech VGS-2120, the Digitech GSP-2101, and the Digitech GSP-21.

Not saying my way is somehow "better." Might not be optimal for everyone; but it works for me just fine.

And considering how many UI types I've had to navigate, I feel my judgment is pretty well-informed when I say: Fractal hardware is reasonably user-friendly, when compared against similar devices by other manufacturers.

Sure, it's harder to navigate than a tube-amp-plus-pedalboard. But, hey, Space Shuttles are harder to drive than rowboats.

Imo the hardware UI on Axfx is quite fine and not at all difficult to navigate. Having said that, in the context of a home studio, I can't think of any reason to be hunkered over a small hardware UI when I can comfortably navigate AxeEdit with mouse / keyboard on a full sized desktop monitor - no contest.

I have no complaints with the UI. My buddy with the Axe3 was flabbergasted when I did some editing on the UI. He never tried it. Still hasn’t. At jams I put the FM3 on top of my speaker and have a FC6 on the floor. Bending over sucks. But most things can be done on the UI if you learn it.

Back
Top Bottom