In Chain Level Gain vs Output Level Gain

Dinkledorf

Inspired
Sorry for the convoluted title, I can't think of another way to describe it right now.

What I am talking about is the difference in tone depending on what block is used to match the Level of the signal output to the downstream device (i.e. power amp, audio card, etc.). I only do recording at home and play 90% through headphones. Sadly my stage days are long gone, lol.

For my purposes I notice that using the Out section of the Axe-Fx to achieve the Level match I need for a particular patch sounds better than using any other in chain block such as Amp, Cab or whatever. This seems to be especially true for the Amp block which to me sounds better if its level is kept lower (say -10db) and made up for by the Out block Level. Could be my ears playing tricks on me, can't say.

Note that I plug my Axe-Fx directly into my Audio card and record from Line In on it. As a result, my patches are all tweaked for being appropriate (as best as I can muster) and as close to "in the mix" for each particular piece I am working on at the time.

I do not know if technically there really is a difference where one chooses to match Level for the output but I suspect there is. Having a meter in each block would be extremely helpful to know what level of signal is hitting each block in the patch and allow one to adjust accordingly. From a resource perspective, I do not believe this would add a lot of CPU requirement since only one meter can be viewed at any given time anyway.

I have been conditioned to avoid exceeding amplification of a signal (i.e. Level > 0db) only because it traditionally induces noise. No I am not an Audio engineer so my conditioning largely stems from fodder I have read and not so much from practical experience. As a result of this conditioning, I experienced trepidation when setting the Out Level to something like +8db or more to achieve the output level I am looking for. It sounds good to me though.

Anybody else notice any differences in tone depending on which block you choose as the Level matching one?

Dinkledorf said:
What I am talking about is the difference in tone depending on what block is used to match the Level of the signal output to the downstream device (i.e. power amp, audio card, etc.).
The only possible tonal difference will occur if you adjust the level prior to a nonlinear block (e.g., drive, compressor, amp block, or cab sim with "Drive" set to a nonzero value). Otherwise there is no difference.

Dinkledorf said:
I have been conditioned to avoid exceeding amplification of a signal (i.e. Level > 0db) only because it traditionally induces noise. No I am not an Audio engineer so my conditioning largely stems from fodder I have read and not so much from practical experience. As a result of this conditioning, I experienced trepidation when setting the Out Level to something like +8db or more to achieve the output level I am looking for. It sounds good to me though.
And in the digital domain > 0db translates to distortion that cannot be fixed !!
Setting the output level to +8db does not necessarily mean you are 8db > 0db !! It's relative to the rest of signal chain. I would look at the input meters on the recording side of your DAW and ensure that you do not exceed -6db to -3db during recording. That should provide plenty of head room for mixdown and mastering. Make sure your are not clipping the input side of the Axe-Fx as that will generate distortion into the signal chain as well.
If what you are doing is working for you, then keep on trucking !

Back
Top Bottom