Import a 44.1 kHz GarageBand track into 48 kHz Logic Pro X?

iaresee

Administrator
I'm losing my mind here. Someone want to steer me in the right direction?

I have a GarageBand project that's 44.1 kHz and everything sounds correct.

I mute all but one track in that project and then do Share > Export song to disk...

I select WAVE and Uncompressed 24-bit and I bounce it to disk.

Then I drag that file onto a track in my 48 kHz Logix Pro X. Logic auto-converts it to 48 kHz and 24-bit BUT the track is now slowed down by quite a bit.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do this so the imported track in Logic Pro X doesn't suffer from this slow down issue! I've tried with and without Convert audio file sample rate when importing and the settings don't make a difference. I've tried converting the audio, post-import, in the Audio Bin view and it makes no difference.

What am I missing here, kind folks? This should Just Work (tm) in my experience, but it's not.

Figured it out!

I ffmpeg'ed the bounced track to 48 kHz, dragged that into Logic and got the "Do you want to see smart tempo for this track?" pop up. When I said yes, I noted it'd picked 120 bpm for the track. After correcting it to 104 it lined up.

Smart tempo, it seems, was the culprit, maybe?

Anyhow, mystery managed.

Glad you sorted it out!

I've had something similar happen to me before. In your Project Settings -> Smart Tempo, what Project Tempo Mode have you got set? I 'think' that 'Keep' is the default (not sure) which is weird cos it shouldn't have done anything when you imported, but maybe yours is different.

you might not get the best quality going that route. logic should convert the file from 44.1 to 48 for you. in file > project settings> assets, there's a checkbox called "convert audio file sample rate when importing". now mine is greyed out, but it works correctly. this might be because in logic pro x > preferences > advanced, i have everything checked in there (including audio)

you might not get the best quality going that route. logic should convert the file from 44.1 to 48 for you. in file > project settings> assets, there's a checkbox called "convert audio file sample rate when importing". now mine is greyed out, but it works correctly. this might be because in logic pro x > preferences > advanced, i have everything checked in there (including audio)
That made no difference in my attempts to make this work.

Glad you sorted it out!

I've had something similar happen to me before. In your Project Settings -> Smart Tempo, what Project Tempo Mode have you got set? I 'think' that 'Keep' is the default (not sure) which is weird cos it shouldn't have done anything when you imported, but maybe yours is different.
Yea. I had smart tempo following a guide track here that was a super lose recording from the 70s and I’m pretty sure it was that feature that was messing this up.

the only other thing to look at might be the status of the file itself - is it locked?
It’s not. It was smart tempo. I’m not 100% the ffmepg conversion was necessary, but it got me the smart tempo pop up on import that led me to setting the tempo for the track to the correct 104 bpm instead of the default 120 bpm. At 120 bpm, smart tempo was time stretching it and slowing it down as a result.

I've worked with old recordings too and the Smart Tempo has been so useful for those (what the heck were they smoking in the 70s anyway!?!?) :D

It’s not. It was smart tempo. I’m not 100% the ffmepg conversion was necessary, but it got me the smart tempo pop up on import that led me to setting the tempo for the track to the correct 104 bpm instead of the default 120 bpm. At 120 bpm, smart tempo was time stretching it and slowing it down as a result.

ah i see. tempo has to be set to "keep" at pretty much all times, otherwise some pretty weird stuff happens sometimes

Back
Top Bottom