IMac Pro.............!

Yes, I am plenty dopey, but haven't sprung yet.
I think this is the machine I have wanted like...forever.
If you get this thing up and running, please share your experiences...much appreciated!

I couldn't wait and was pretty gunshy of those prices. I opted for a tricked out iMac instead and have been happy with it. I have modest needs though.

Nice system, but bulk processing power does not necessarily equate to good real time performance in things like multiple effects plugins and virtual instruments. I'd be interested to see a head to head large mix DAW performance comparison against a modestly priced system with some added external DSPs like UAD's accelerators.

This thing is allegedly tuned specifically for massive Logic projects, and a recent logic update further advanced its ability to take advantage of the multi core threading....

I'm seriously considering one, my projects usually end up with over 100 tracks and I'm raging through regular crashes.

Unfortunately in Australia the base model is $7300, then add another $3800 for the amount of ram I want. Their decision to not have user replaceable RAM blows my mind, since this is meant to be a professional machine. Unless DIYers find a way to safely add your own 3rd party ram, I can't see myself buying one at that price.

This thing is allegedly tuned specifically for massive Logic projects, and a recent logic update further advanced its ability to take advantage of the multi core threading....
If you look at the benchmarks it seems as if logic does get a big bump compared to other apps.
I’ve lived through all kinds of gear, but what needs mentioning here is one computer, one interface...done.
While adding boxes and cheaper computers compared to this solution, may be a better financial deal...
...for folks like me that want simplicity, the imac pro may be the right solution. At least I hope. ;)

The iMac Pro is sure sex. Please give us feedback how it does. I priced one out at like 12 grand in the Apple site clicking as many boxes as I thought necessary (I clicked in the 10-core based on one recommendation by Apple themselves stating that simply throwing more cores at something doesn't make it really that much more powerful). Anyway I'm good with the 2.6Ghz Core i7 15 inch MacBook Pro I am sitting at at the moment...

But this is what I really hope they get to someday, the e-paper from Caprica (a short-lived Battlestar Galactica prequel series).

Does anyone else feel that the new iMac Pro is too pricey for the 'artist'? Unless you're blessed with significant disposable income, or are actually making money from the machine, I think this is well out of the range of the average artist, be they musician, graphic arts, videographer, or whatever. I think Apple has a lot of balls suggesting that this is for the creative types, when the average shmuck has no way of buying one.

This all sounds funny coming from me. I had a loaded 2008 Mac Pro, and a I7/16G 2012 mini. I just dumped $2k on a built-out Mac Mini (it's actually a plus that it's 2014 technology - I need the TB2 connectors) to replace my aging Mac Pro. I would love to have an iMac Pro, but there's no way I could justify an additional $3k+ to do amateur recording (well - we think it's pretty good).

random thought: 1990s...buy a computer..then pci cards...then software then more outboard gear...ya wanna talk expensive?
But I agree if you are an artist trying to break out of your basement this machine may not be for you.

Back
Top Bottom