iMac M1 24" yes or no?

I saw a review on the mac mini M1 with 8gb ram where the guy was having some hiccups editing video in final cut pro. Beach ball, hangs, stuttering in playback. Basically he was showing how the system ram gets used up and has to use SSD for swap. Then he showed the same edit on a 16gb ram model and it was fine. So there are some cases where 8gb is not enough. Understandably these are not meant to be pro user machines and do a stellar job of every day ordinary use.
I would blame that just as much on the software not being perfectly optimized for the new environment, handling memor, just as much as t would blame lack of memory.

I would blame that just as much on the software not being perfectly optimized for the new environment, handling memor, just as much as t would blame lack of memory.
I don't know what optimization you're referring to, but if you're a heavy FCP user, 8GB probably isn't enough. No amount of "optimization" will change that :).

I don't know what optimization you're referring to, but if you're a heavy FCP user, 8GB probably isn't enough. No amount of "optimization" will change that :).
Timing and addressing memory sectors efficiently in a new CPU/memory bus architecture. That’s a function of the efficiency of the software. You can’t just drop old software into a new computer even if it’s the same operating system without finding some issues. Could be a memory leak issue, which can be a whole spectrum from easy fix to forever broken, in which case it won’t matter if it’s 8 or 16 or 32 gigs of ram.

Memory leak​

Computer science term

In computer science, a memory leak is a type of resource leak that occurs when a computer program incorrectly manages memory allocations in a way that memory which is no longer needed is not released. A memory leak may also happen when an object is stored in memory but cannot be accessed by the running code. A memory leak has symptoms similar to a number of other problems and generally can only be diagnosed by a programmer with access to the programs' source code.

A space leak occurs when a computer program uses more memory than necessary. In contrast to memory leaks, where the leaked memory is never released, the memory consumed by a space leak is released, but later than expected.

Because they can exhaust available system memory as an application runs, memory leaks are often the cause of or a contributing factor to software aging.”

So, if a program only needed 8 before, it should still only need 8, but fixes will need to be made after the fault is found.

Last edited:
If there's a memory leak, it wouldn't matter if it was an Intel or M1 cpu. The point is 8GB ain't enough if you're a heavy FCP user :). Nothing about the M1 will change that. That's why the 16GB model worked so much better.

Anyway I went with a maxed-out mac mini and a Gigabyte 32" curved 4k display. I already had a full apple keyboard and magic mouse from the 2013 mac mini (too slow now to be much use for anything) and I really think that's the better deal overall - performance vs. price.

Back
Top Bottom