iMac M1 24" yes or no?

See, I was just about to say "make sure you buy the Magic Mouse 2 and magic keyboard 2" and then look at that -
I guess ill have to now buy another keyboard , although the Magic Mouse 2 and keyboard are perfect as is

What is the Touch ID for the Mac mini for anyway? I don't understand why anyone would pay $150 or whatever for another keyboard

And no, im not just salty because I JUST BOOUGHT them lol lmao

Just don't understand why apple won't make a desktop backlit keyboard. If anything needs an update to they're keyboards its backlit FFS.

I'll be hanging with my iMac 27 for a while longer. It runs like a champ and does everything I need. The OS is getting farther and farther behind, though, so I know I'll have to bite the bullet and upgrade later. The big "to Mac or not to Mac?" question will be my quandary then. I hope that is still a ways off!

Milking my 27" 2013 iMac till the end, still on Mojave do to 32bit apps. Honestly it does everything I need. 2012 MBP Mojave as well for the AFXIII and a M1 MacBook air for couch browsing and bill paying. Still think a pro model 32" iMac is coming, question will be what type specs the display has. Will it be as high end as apples Pro Display XDR or something in between.

Currently Apple is on the M1 transition which is obviously their entry level processor that can address max 16GB of RAM and so on, and all the current models is their entry level models. The 24" iMac as a replacement for their 21" seems as a perfect fit and a great model for most people, as the entry level model should be.

I would expect that the next round of model upgrades would have an upgraded processor M1s or M1x or something like that, that can address maybe 4TB of RAM or something ridiculous like that. And that's going to be the processor for the higher end MacBook Pro's (hopefully a 14" and 16") and maybe a 27" or 30" iMac Pro, Mac Pro and why not even a Mac Mini Pro. That seems like the complete logical next step in their transition away from Intel.

Personally, I still rely on being able to run VMware using Linux in x86 for development so I'm hoping VMware figures out a way to do x86 to ARM CPU translation to be able to run x86 Linux in VMware in the next few months.

Docker will run a Linux non-ARM image for you on an M1 right now: https://docs.docker.com/docker-for-mac/apple-silicon/

Or you can just use the macOS Hypervisor kernel extension directly: https://github.com/KhaosT/SimpleVM
Very cool, thanks. My choice of weapon is currently the maxed out last generation Intel 13" MacBook Pro so I'm hoping that the next round of M1 upgrades will include a higher end 14" MacBook Pro that can take 32GB (or 64GB) of RAM and without the touchbar 🤞.

Guys, I have to re-emphasize, especially what the more knowledgeable tech guys here have emphasized, this silicon architecture is not like anything we've seen yet - thus far - at all

It is a completely integrated, fully interwoven and interconnected system - essentially what the ideal were working towards since the beginning

you don't need 32gb or even 64gb!!! like what on earth could you possibly be doing that you think you need 64 GB of ram with the M1 architecture, when the 8gb is yielding optimal results (with 16gb of ram ONLY decreasing ULTRA SUPER hi res 8k@60FPS in half; but WHO THE HELL is going to be doing that here? thats like saying I need 64 gb of ram so that I can run EVERY single DAW and 3rd party VST simultaneously while recording too....like its overkill, the same way the iPad Pro is a computer in and of itself but people only use it for safari and iMessage lol

So I don't mean to beat a dead horse stupid, or imply that to anyone, but if you are just an average user, or even a user that relies on the computer professionally, like a DAW/engineer, you still literally only need 8gb of ram to run the best DAW, Logic Pro

Like, I purposely drove 20 extra miles to save $200 because I knew from reading 8gb of Ram with the m1 was WAY more than ill EVER use with Logic Pro and final cut and MainStage, all running simultaneously

Ive really pushed this m1 mini, and I believe the benchmarks, I think it outperforms the i9 and Xenon, and all other processors, and its FULLY INTEGRATED, its almost like the beginning of the perfect computer man

Guys, I have to re-emphasize, especially what the more knowledgeable tech guys here have emphasized, this silicon architecture is not like anything we've seen yet - thus far - at all

It is a completely integrated, fully interwoven and interconnected system - essentially what the ideal were working towards since the beginning

you don't need 32gb or even 64gb!!! like what on earth could you possibly be doing that you think you need 64 GB of ram with the M1 architecture, when the 8gb is yielding optimal results (with 16gb of ram ONLY decreasing ULTRA SUPER hi res 8k@60FPS in half; but WHO THE HELL is going to be doing that here? thats like saying I need 64 gb of ram so that I can run EVERY single DAW and 3rd party VST simultaneously while recording too....like its overkill, the same way the iPad Pro is a computer in and of itself but people only use it for safari and iMessage lol

So I don't mean to beat a dead horse stupid, or imply that to anyone, but if you are just an average user, or even a user that relies on the computer professionally, like a DAW/engineer, you still literally only need 8gb of ram to run the best DAW, Logic Pro

Like, I purposely drove 20 extra miles to save $200 because I knew from reading 8gb of Ram with the m1 was WAY more than ill EVER use with Logic Pro and final cut and MainStage, all running simultaneously

Ive really pushed this m1 mini, and I believe the benchmarks, I think it outperforms the i9 and Xenon, and all other processors, and its FULLY INTEGRATED, its almost like the beginning of the perfect computer man
Most people won't need a lot of RAM, agreed. But I often run 2-4 virtual machines when I'm developing so assigning a few GB RAM each to those eats up memory fast and 8GB is just not going to cut it. Videographers and people working with large photos, cad drawings, 3D modelling or AI are for sure others that would require more than 8GB of RAM. Obviously those are the minority but to say they don't exist is definitely not true either.

Most people won't need a lot of RAM, agreed. But I often run 2-4 virtual machines when I'm developing so assigning a few GB RAM each to those eats up memory fast and 8GB is just not going to cut it. Videographers and people working with large photos, cad drawings, 3D modelling or AI are for sure others that would require more than 8GB of RAM. Obviously those are the minority but to say they don't exist is definitely not true either.
Oh yes, we are in complete agreement, thats what I meant, except for hardcore video 3d rendering, us musicians/FAS users needn't worry about ram, but the video guys do for sure

I saw a review on the mac mini M1 with 8gb ram where the guy was having some hiccups editing video in final cut pro. Beach ball, hangs, stuttering in playback. Basically he was showing how the system ram gets used up and has to use SSD for swap. Then he showed the same edit on a 16gb ram model and it was fine. So there are some cases where 8gb is not enough. Understandably these are not meant to be pro user machines and do a stellar job of every day ordinary use.

I saw a review on the mac mini M1 with 8gb ram where the guy was having some hiccups editing video in final cut pro. Beach ball, hangs, stuttering in playback. Basically he was showing how the system ram gets used up and has to use SSD for swap. Then he showed the same edit on a 16gb ram model and it was fine. So there are some cases where 8gb is not enough. Understandably these are not meant to be pro user machines and do a stellar job of every day ordinary use.
I wouldn't recommend 8 GB of RAM for an M1 being used for music production. The M1 is more efficient with memory, but when working with sample libraries, it's the sample libraries that dominate your RAM usage, and the M1 changes nothing about that. Go for the 16 GB option.

IF you need to buy a new mac, M1 is probably the future for Apple devices. 16 GB RAM at minimum. My 2013 MacPro came with 16 GB Ram and 1 TB SSD. so that's like almost 8 years ago.

I’ll wait for the 27” iMac.

Still waiting for Big Sur compability for Softube hardware and plugins.............

There are reports that some of the superb performance from the 8 GB versions is because the SSD is so fast that when it swaps out memory to it, you can't really notice anything. The downside to this is that people are reporting a huge amount of reads and writes to their SSDs which could substantially reduce their lifespan. I'd get the 16 GB myself - you can never have too much RAM and it will be more future proof.

I am going to buy a M1 iMac. The only pain in the ass is the lack of USB Ports because most MIDI/Audio-Interfaces, Synths, etc. need a direct USB Connection. 2 USB C and 2 USB A Connections is not enough (at least for me). I wonder how you deal with this problem. I know that you can use a Thunderbolt Port for many things, but for example the AxeFX3 also needs a direct USB Connection...

The M1 is a screamer. Strangely, geek bench doesn't list it in the processor benchmark list. If they did, it would be at the top for single-threaded performance.

Back
Top Bottom