I'm thinking of coming back...

I would reach out to other members that may be close to your area to see if they can lend their assistance. I am still learning after 2 years. Sometimes the Axe sounds wonderful and other times I do not like some of the high frequencies at louder volumes. With the help of the great people of this forum I am beginning to understand the need to tailor the sound at the volume it will be played in. There are good suggestions about boosting the mids at higher volumes using PEQ blocks. With a little patience and a willingness to experiment you will find your sound too.

I read the manual...or more specifically, looked at it until my brains starting oozing outta my head...was as bad as watching dancing with the stars! But, I downloaded it again and will start to look at it now...

Joe,
You need to lock yourself in a room with the unit, the manual and some Adderall if necessary and make a concerted effort to learn the basics of the unit. Once that stuff is under your belt you can take baby steps on the other stuff. Some guys on here like Chef, Java, Simeon, M@ are just brilliant with the routing stuff. That ain't me but I can coax a decent tone out of the unit for my live stuff.
They help me with things when I need to nail a specific tone for a song that eludes me but if you just need some happenin' tones just do AMP/CAB/VERB and tweak drive, B/M/T and maybe compression to your liking and you should be off to the races.

I would recommend trying some of the new OH Beta IR's right off the bat to make your life easier too from the get go.

I understood all the basics and more...and how to route stuff etc etc...my biggest problem was finding something to send it to - IE: amp, FRFR, etc...I tried my K12s - thought they were way high pitched/fizzy - and yes I adjusted all the cab sims, mics, EQs etc. Through my PV 50/50 it was better (cab/power amp sims off AND on), but that defeated my purpose of getting it which was to lose that rack weight. That said, if that's the answer then so be it.
But I will try a few more powered cabs first. I think first on the list is the JBL PRX 12s.
The NX 12-SMA (or RCF NX 10-SMA) are expensive...so I'll be looking for a bit cheaper solution...unless nothing else works, then I may have to chuck over the cash :(

I understood all the basics and more...and how to route stuff etc etc...my biggest problem was finding something to send it to - IE: amp, FRFR, etc...I tried my K12s - thought they were way high pitched/fizzy - and yes I adjusted all the cab sims, mics, EQs etc. Through my PV 50/50 it was better (cab/power amp sims off AND on), but that defeated my purpose of getting it which was to lose that rack weight. That said, if that's the answer then so be it.
But I will try a few more powered cabs first. I think first on the list is the JBL PRX 12s.
The NX 12-SMA (or RCF NX 10-SMA) are expensive...so I'll be looking for a bit cheaper solution...unless nothing else works, then I may have to chuck over the cash :(

Man, I hear ya those monitors are way out of my price range. I hope someone comes up with something that is killer and more affordable real soon. There are all these solutions from Atomic and others in the wings but until they hit the market prices are not likely to get more aggressive since the quality players are not as plentiful.

I don't think the k12 is bad. It's highs are a little ruff but over all I got compliments all along whenever I used it. I have moved on to the RCF which is amazing but a different price point. The thing most people fail to do is remember that you are not using a guitar cab so don't treat it like it is. Tweak with FOH in mind. Hi/low cut is my best friend and did wonders with the k. Another option is to get a 1u matrix power amp and a 1x12 cab or get a cab and get the matrix power block (I think that is what it is called) and essentially convert it to a powered speaker

Man, I hear ya those monitors are way out of my price range. I hope someone comes up with something that is killer and more affordable real soon. There are all these solutions from Atomic and others in the wings but until they hit the market prices are not likely to get more aggressive since the quality players are not as plentiful.

I heard the same problems over and over. I found MY solution and it's not discussed here much. The Yamaha DXR-12's are AMAZING in sound quality, looks, power, and the volume is pretty much going to take out your spleen and other internal organs. The balance between driver and woofer is incredible and the high end is really smooth. I LOVE that smooth high end which is great for the AXE. The mid range is beyond punchy so the guitar sounds amazing. Just take your box into a Guitar Center to try it out along with the QSC K10, K12, and the RCF's if they have 'em.

My ONLY problem with them is the weight. I have a bad back and they weigh 42.55787 pounds. That's a bit more than a small hump-backed-whale...

Summary:

Sounds GREAT, mixer in back, $599.00 each, LOUD, Balanced FRFR sound, not too bright, 42.5 pound, sexy.

Man I've been fighting with this thing too...the thing is, I'm a tone perfectionist ... I feel the axe fx 2 works great for recording but I'm coming to realize after playing with it FOH thru 2 systems that I don't think I can get that amp in your face tone with it on stage or thru the PA...i've decided to use it for FX alone and go the 4CM route...sounds much better to my ears...I've tried the Matrix GT1500FXBD power amp and 4x12 marshall cab....still not what i want for a live situation...but I may be onto to something with this 4 cable method...because i love the sound of my marshall....if i can't figure this setup out soon...its back to my marshall JVM410JS again...
one thing is for sure...you can't beat the axe fx for recording though....its amazing in this area.. I feel your pain brother....you sound like you are an amp kind a guy as well....theres no changing that my friend... lol

all the best.

Jason

Let face it guys: the Axe fx II is for tweakers! If you are not into that than the Axe fx is not for you.

You have to spend hours/days/months to dial in the tone you want or your signature sound. You have to know quit a lot about amps and pedals and programming to get the max out of the Axe. Sure you can dial in a default preset or someone else's presets. But they have different guitars and different FR or amp system so it will never sound the same on your equipment. So again tweaking. That's part of the deal. It's not a plug and play machine.

Last edited:
Let face it guys: the Axe fx II is for tweakers! If you are not into that than the Axe fx is not for you.

You have to spend hours/days/months to dial in the tone you want or your signature sound. You have to know quit a lot about amps and pedals and programming to get the max out of the Axe. Sure you can dial in a default preset or someone else presets. But they have different guitars and different FR or amp system so it will never sound the same on your equipment. So again tweaking. That's part of the deal. It's not a plug and play machine.

I dont agree. For some it might not be a plug and play, for others it is.
It really all depends on the ears that listen.
I find it very much a plug and play machine.

I've watched most of your stuff Scott...and I'm seriously jealous that you can dial in, seemingly effortlessly, good usable tones. This was not my case. Frustrating, because I'm seeing all you guys getting great stuff outta this magic box!
Were you running straight to FOH/recording in most those videos?
Again tho, I need to use it live, that's been my issue - a delivery system for it within a live band/gigging scenario...
Seemingly effortlessly is right. Especially the seemingly part. :D

Scott probably put more time in than half the forums members put together.

If you buy the whole frfr package, Axe Fx2 + Atomics ,
would a fender or marshall og whatever not give me the amp in the room feel
and punch with latest firmware+ ir´s,
and would it not be just like adjusting the original amps knobs
when tweaking your bas,middle,treble,gain,volume ?

@ johnnyh64 - thanks for the heads up on the Yamaha - will definitely give it a go! Just waiting on the Axe to show up...damn Christmas rush!! :)

I'm wondering now if a FRFR WOOD box makes any difference? Instead of something like the plastic K series (or others)? And looking at the Atomic powered wedges with TUBES? That would seem a good thing?

Last edited:
I'm wondering now if a FRFR WOOD box makes any difference? Instead of something like the plastic K series (or others)? And looking at the Atomic powered wedges with TUBES? That would seem a good thing?

Somebody needs to sell a kit with the frame, FRFR driver, screws and all parts for an affordable price. Even those of us with attrocious woodworking skills would think about buying one even if we had to leave it in an ugly unfinished state.

If you buy the whole frfr package, Axe Fx2 + Atomics ,
would a fender or marshall og whatever not give me the amp in the room feel
and punch with latest firmware+ ir´s,
and would it not be just like adjusting the original amps knobs
when tweaking your bas,middle,treble,gain,volume ?

I wish it was that simple. But I feel it is much more complicated than that. You need to know more about tweaking than just the bass, middle, treble, gain and volume knobs to get the max out of the Axe fx.
To most of us here that is a good thing. But like I said before; if you are not into tweaking or don't want to spend much time learning a machine and like it really simple than a real amp might be a better choice for you.

Man I've been fighting with this thing too...the thing is, I'm a tone perfectionist ... I feel the axe fx 2 works great for recording but I'm coming to realize after playing with it FOH thru 2 systems that I don't think I can get that amp in your face tone with it on stage or thru the PA...i've decided to use it for FX alone and go the 4CM route...sounds much better to my ears...I've tried the Matrix GT1500FXBD power amp and 4x12 marshall cab....still not what i want for a live situation...but I may be onto to something with this 4 cable method...because i love the sound of my marshall....if i can't figure this setup out soon...its back to my marshall JVM410JS again...
one thing is for sure...you can't beat the axe fx for recording though....its amazing in this area.. I feel your pain brother....you sound like you are an amp kind a guy as well....theres no changing that my friend... lol

all the best.

Jason
Well you actually can get that feel really. Try the new Matrix Power Amp with 2 pairs of their FRFR cabs. Also man with tweaking you can get the in your face amp feel.... You just have to spend a lot of time tweaking it, the recording world and the usage of the Axe FxII in a live setting are two different areas. The best thing is,if you spend a ton of time to get your tone for your recording presets then once you have connected it to your set up for live usage tweak it and spend a lot of time tweaking and messing around with the sounds. Use a different preset with the same amp,effects,and whatever you place in your patch only approach it's tweaking differently. You will get results for sure. You should read Clarky's note on the Axe FxII usage with Matrix Power amp and FRFR cabs VS Marshall.

I can dial a good live tone in 5 minutes using the axe as a preamp and using a real poweramp and cab. Never used it FRFR for the simple reason I already owned the cab and poweramp and buying another piece of equipment after having shelled the dough for the axe II was not affordable to me.
I haven't been able to dial in a single decent recording tone, though. Always seems flat. And I do consciously try to avoid the deep parameters. Only amp I managed to do good stuff with is the JMP1 sim, weirdly.

So I guess the "magic" comes from cab/power amp settings I don't master, and yes I have listened to all the tutorials and videos done by some people here. (Thanks for that, btw)
As far as recording goes I get better results with an amp and my ole' Marshall SE 100. :( -I play metal mostly, not the djent stuff that said, more stuff from Maiden to Amon amarth. As an interesting side note, all the bands I like that use one do use it with poweramps and cabs, Moonsorrow and Megadeth among them)

I'm still not done with the unit, next step will be to make an image of my own cab but I need to scrounge some mikes for that first. and anyway if I give up...I'm keeping it anyway because the effects section is ridiculously worth the price in itself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom