I'm thinking about buying a FAMC Liquid Foot+ Pro+ but have some questions

GotMetalBoy

Power User
I'm thinking about buying a FAMC Liquid Foot+ Pro+ to replace my MFC-101.

I've read some reviews that said they had really bad communication with customers and took a while to ship products and reply to support issues. Is this still an issue?

How is the quality?

I've watched some videos, skimmed over the manual and played around with the editor and it looks like it can do everything the MFC-101 can do and seems to be able to do TotalSync. I pretty much use my MFC-101 with default settings and setup Songs and Sets using Fedit. I just want to make sure I will be able to do the same thing with the LF+ Pro+ and not have to spend hours setting it up.

Does anyone know the dimensions of the LF+ Pro+ and what is the spacing between the foot switches? Are they farther apart than the MFC-101 bc they're a little too close together for me and I sometimes accidentally step on 2 foot switches.

Is the LF+ Pro+ compatible with the Boss FV-500 expression pedals?

Are there any known bugs I should be worried about?

Can't answer all your questions, but I do own a LF+ JR+ and can answer a few.

Communication seems to be much improved lately. Has been spotty over the years.

Quality is fantastic. No problems there in my experience.

The programming is similar on all the LF units (I also had the 12+ before downsizing). The only real difference is the number of physical buttons. They are most definitely NOT intuitive to set up an the manual is a joke (unless they have updated them recently).

Functionally, they can do everything the MFC can do and much more. You are really only limited by your imagination and your ability to figure out how to program it. I found the MFC to be too limited in it's capabilities, and I wanted less buttons, so I went to the LF JR, then a 12+, and now a JR+.

I used a BOSS FV-500 with both the 12+ and the JR+. No problems. Now using a mission pedal, but I had to get one that was specifically made to be compatible with the LF products.

Known bugs.... Seems like every new FW update introduces bugs that have to be worked out. I guess that's to be expected to some degree, but the LF quality control/testing before the FW is released seems to be a little lax. But they are a lot like Fractal from the standpoint that they are constantly adding new features and improving their products. Just seems like there's more bug than there should be. Having said that, I have not updated FW in my JR+ for at least six months. It does everything I need with the FW that I currently have installed so I have got a little lazy when it comes to updating.

Hope that helps some. I do like the JR+ a lot. The MFC is definitely more "plug and play" and easier to get up and running than the LF products.

Can't answer all your questions, but I do own a LF+ JR+ and can answer a few.

Communication seems to be much improved lately. Has been spotty over the years.

Thank you for your reply. I sent a msg to FAMC yesterday and they replied to me within a couple hours, so hopefully their communication issues have been resolved.

I'm definitely buying a LF+ Pro+ bc it's like the Axe-Fx II of Midi controllers. It has all the features I've ever wanted in the MFC-101. It shows the Preset name and what Scene is selected and the Tuner looks like it may work better.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the Available Options and if I need them?
Phantom Box ($24.95):
Power / MIDI Box (+$24.95)

Power Adapter Upgrade:
USA (Axe-FX compatible w/ Coupler $14.95
Int'l Adap(USA/UK/AUS/Europe Plug set) $34.99
Int'l Adap(Ax-FX Compatible w/Coupler) $39.99

Also, in one of their videos it shows them using it wireless but I couldn't find anymore info about it. Has a wireless feature been added?
Here is the video link and he shows and mentions the wireless at 11:38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RPy9kwoaPU#t=698

You probably want the phantom power box. It will provide phantom power to the LF over a single 7 pin midi cable while sending 5 pin midi to the Axe Fx. I think the power supply for the Pro is over 1000mah so you don't want to damage your Axe using the coupler.

As far as the wireless feature, even though it is in the video, it has never been announced and therefore not guaranteed to be either. However, Tyler did hint that an announce "may" be coming within the month!

Love the LF stuff.. some communication issues in the past, but he has personally helped me get through some programming issues with my older LFpro... which I've never had an issue with, been flawless so far. If I stumble upon 1200 bux i'll get the pro+ :) although I don't really need it.

I've got the LF+ 12+ and it really works well with the Axe FX. Communication has not been an issue, and in fact, the response back from them has been abnormally quick....as an example I had a programming question that I emailed on a Sunday afternoon, and I had my answer back within 10 minutes...probably not the norm, but it was pretty amazing at the time.

Functionality - the virtual pages you can configure work perfect for me. I'm in a Rush tribute band, and I use the LF song mode / setlist mode to store every song we do, and that way I can create very specific presets on the Axe and not have to remember where I stored them.

Overall very pleased.

Bill

I love my LF+12+. There have been communication issues, but Jeff is a great guy who means the best. I had a major faux pas where the last bunch of editors just don't work for my set up. We haven't solved it, but thats probably because this time I am the one who is too busy. It's not a deal breaker. I got an older editor and that's really all I need at the moment.

I love my LF+12+. There have been communication issues, but Jeff is a great guy who means the best. I had a major faux pas where the last bunch of editors just don't work for my set up. We haven't solved it, but thats probably because this time I am the one who is too busy. It's not a deal breaker. I got an older editor and that's really all I need at the moment.

The steps for anyone experiencing a Mac issue, was posted in the forum. There is a command you can type while in Terminal mode on your Mac, that will cause the mac to recognize the pedal when connected via USB.

It's been on the web forum about 10 days or so.

Helps folks running Mavericks and the new Yosemite too.

If you have the budget get the Untitled Document

Why? And why the untitled document instead of the name-this is the 3rd p[art controller forum. hugely Overpriced and Yes I did my homework, 3 years ago.Even if the RJM is equivilent in function, build, etc to the LF+12+ (although imo it's not) how does that warrant paying so much more. No arguments here, just plain old logic. I am sure it's a fine product, but .......................

The only thing I'm not sure about is the Available Options and if I need them?
Phantom Box ($24.95):
Power / MIDI Box (+$24.95)

Power Adapter Upgrade:
USA (Axe-FX compatible w/ Coupler $14.95
Int'l Adap(USA/UK/AUS/Europe Plug set) $34.99
Int'l Adap(Ax-FX Compatible w/Coupler) $39.99

If you get the USA Axe-FX compatible w/coupler Power Adapter for $14.95 you do not need the Power/Midi Box. I use the coupler with a 7-pin midi cable and it works great to provide both midi communication and power to the LF+. In fact, I have an unused power/midi box sitting here...

Even if the RJM is equivilent in function, build, etc to the LF+12+ (although imo it's not) how does that warrant paying so much more. No arguments here, just plain old logic. I am sure it's a fine product, but .............
Just to make it clear , I use my MFC101 Mk3 and I'm VERY HAPPY with . RJM is an expensive replacement , with much more features and a powerfull editor , for those who can afford-it...:)

Does anyone know the dimensions of the LF+ Pro+ and what is the spacing between the foot switches? Are they farther apart than the MFC-101 bc they're a little too close together for me and I sometimes accidentally step on 2 foot switches.

Is the LF+ Pro+ compatible with the Boss FV-500 expression pedals?

The LF+ Pro+ is 22.75” x 10” and weighs 8.6lbs. Footswitch spacing on my LF+ JR+ is exactly the same as my MFC. As already mentioned, Boss FV-500 expression pedals are compatible.

I replaced my MFC with a LF+ JR+ back in April. The LF+ is just way more flexible. Support was very helpful with several issues and ideas that I had over the next couple months, often implementing suggestions into a new firmware or version of the editor within 24 hours. Jeff and the FAMC team (is it just one other person???) were very eager to get issues sorted out.

During this correspondence, there were a couple occasions a month or so apart where it was stated that Jeff was in hospital - still replying to issues, and calling support staff from the hospital. (I would not have mentioned this had Jeff not already publicly mentioned the hospital on the FAMC forum.) I was impressed by that level of commitment. :encouragement:

Last edited:
I used a BOSS FV-500 with both the 12+ and the JR+. No problems. Now using a mission pedal, but I had to get one that was specifically made to be compatible with the LF products.

I have a regular Mission EP1 (with spring, no switch) that works fine. I believe the toe switch is the thing that needs to be wired for compatibility, just like an external switch. There are wiring diagrams for DIY external switches on the FAMC forum if you want to build or mod an existing pedal.

Known bugs.... Seems like every new FW update introduces bugs that have to be worked out. I guess that's to be expected to some degree, but the LF quality control/testing before the FW is released seems to be a little lax. But they are a lot like Fractal from the standpoint that they are constantly adding new features and improving their products. Just seems like there's more bug than there should be. Having said that, I have not updated FW in my JR+ for at least six months. It does everything I need with the FW that I currently have installed so I have got a little lazy when it comes to updating.

Yeah, I would agree with this, although I have found the last few updates less buggy on release. Earlier in the year a LOT of functionality was added very quickly for both Axe and Kemper. Bugs were squashed quickly when they became obvious, often without updating the version number.

As is usually good practice when updating firmware, I always make sure I have backups to revert to, and immediately check all my gig preset functionality, tuner, looper etc to make sure nothing unexpected has happened.

If you have the budget get the Untitled Document

I've already compared the RJM Mastermind GT/22 & FAMC LF+ Pro+ and the FAMC LF+ Pro+ fits my needs most bc I like that it has 3 rows of 8 footswitch. I'm short, so it's always been tough for me to play guitar/bass, balance on one foot and try to reach with my other foot past the 1st row and not accidentally hit a 1st row footswitch with my heel, so I like having more footswitches in a row than multiple rows with fewer footswitches. I plan to setup my FAMC LF+ Pro+ with the 1st row as 8 Scenes and the 2nd row Presets and the 3rd row IA's.

One might argue that 384 presets is more than enough but the lack of expandable or dynamic memory on both the RJM and the FAMC are the reason I'm still sticking with my Gordius.
It has (almost) no limitation since it's memory is dynamic.
I asked Ron about this and he answered that the Mastermind's memory can be made dynamic. he didn't answer my question whether it would be possible in the near future for the GT to sync with the XL.
I'm using the first bank for my own presets, the three following banks for the factory presets and the last two for all amp models.
So it would be nice if I could access them all with a controller.
Furthermore, since
- you need to make at least one preset per song
- a preset for every combination of Axe-Fx-preset + initiated blocks (if you don't want to use scenes or need more combinations than you can make with scenes) you need a lot more presets than what's available now.

So the only thing I'm missing now are the little screens.
Before I will fork out €500 or €1200 over the price of a Gordius, they will have to first address this issue.
BTW, I asked the same question about the number of presets on the FAMC forum months ago and didn't even get an answer.
In that regard, RJM is a lot quicker and I'm under the impression that they implement users wishes a lot faster.

If you get the USA Axe-FX compatible w/coupler Power Adapter for $14.95 you do not need the Power/Midi Box. I use the coupler with a 7-pin midi cable and it works great to provide both midi communication and power to the LF+. In fact, I have an unused power/midi box sitting here...

This.

I didn't know better and bought the power/midi box. Not needed.

I'm running the LF+Pro+. Had issues getting one ordered and shipped, but in the end...I'd go through it all again to get another if I had to. It's worth it. That controller + a couple of good expression pedals and you're set.

I love the power of the Liquid-foot controllers. had the original LF Pro and LF Jr (still have the Jr) and also own a LF+ Pro+

Excellent editor. It's not a plug and play device, but it can do everything I wish. Just name it, and I'm pretty sure it will be able to do it.
And Jeff is open for ideas (just like Cliff) and updates the Firmware with new features.

Works perfect with my Boss FV-500.

Back
Top Bottom