I'm sure a dumb Newbie question: Axe straight into amp

NashFX

While I am waiting for my Verve 8ma, I decided to hook the Axe to my Matchless Spitfire. Tired some presets with the amp and cab bypassed. Pretty cool.

I tried to setup my own preset and, oops no tone.

Do I need an amp block in the signal chain for this method to work? Set the SAG to zero?

Right now I have shunts through a OD and Delay and no tone. Change the preset and tone! So it's not the connection.

Also, should I use the input in the back instead of the front? Why?

Thanks!

CJS

I appreciate the link but it really didn't help as I find the manual to be a bit confusing.

For example, it addresses the connection to an amp early on but it doesn't dicuss the cab bypass amp sag thing utill almost the last page.

Also, I would like to just start playing, not read the entire manual.

So, basically I am asking this, do I need an amp block even though it is set to zero in order to run the Axe as a rack effect?

Thanks

CJS

NashFX said:
I appreciate the link but it really didn't help as I find the manual to be a bit confusing.

For example, it addresses the connection to an amp early on but it doesn't dicuss the cab bypass amp sag thing utill almost the last page.

Also, I would like to just start playing, not read the entire manual.

So, basically I am asking this, do I need an amp block even though it is set to zero in order to run the Axe as a rack effect?

Thanks

CJS

No, you don't need an amp block or cab block. Yes, you do need to read the manual.

If I don't need an amp block, then why is there no sound when I run an OD and delay with no amp or cab and shunts are connected through the line? I don't get it and I have briefly review both the wiki and the manual.

I'll say this about the "read the manual" & "check the wiki" page replies, they are not really helpful to those of us new to this. I understand that the Axe is an amazing piece of technology with an never-ending learning curve, but it is not that obvious to everyone.

Maybe there should be a AxeFx beginner section where people new to this could ask questions free from these types of responses. Just a suggestion.

Thanks for your help.

CJS

NashFX said:
If I don't need an amp block, then why is there no sound when I run an OD and delay with no amp or cab and shunts are connected through the line? I don't get it and I have briefly review both the wiki and the manual.

I'll say this about the "read the manual" & "check the wiki" page replies, they are not really helpful to those of us new to this. I understand that the Axe is an amazing piece of technology with an never-ending learning curve, but it is not that obvious to everyone.

Maybe there should be a AxeFx beginner section where people new to this could ask questions free from these types of responses. Just a suggestion.

Thanks for your help.

CJS

Probably when you removed the amp and cab or created the patch you did not route the connections all the way through to the end. Correct, it is not obvious to everyone. That is why there is a manual and WIKI. It answers many questions you are asking. For example, the concept section of the manual explains how the grid works as does the editing section. The people you are going to get advice from had to read the manual, then added there experience to the WIKI. But to get you started. Look at all the presets in the axe-fx that work you will note connections from left to right

ignore the cab and fx loop block in this pic
routingfxloop.jpg

Note the connections from left to right, any blank ones are connected by what is called a shunt (explained in the editing portion of the manual). a shunt is a blank effect to allow you to continue the routing on. It is illustrated in row 2, column 2 of the pic. If you don't have a complete connection from left to right, you will get no sound out of output 1.

NashFX said:

Thanks for your help.

CJS

Hey man, and grats with your purchase. The reason for the types of replies you get is the fact that you've just bought a top of the line FX processor, and you think you're gonna nail it without reading the manual. When I ordered my first AxeFX, I spent the waiting time reading the manual two or three times, the whole thing, as well as reading more or less every thread on the forum and the entire wiki. I'm not saying all that is required, but you have just bought the best amp modellers and a top of the line FX unit. You WILL have to read the manual, especially if it doesnt come naturally for you like with some people. It's an advanced unit.

You should feel free to ask questions, but when you're basically saying you're not gonna read up and you just want the thing to obey like that, you're not likely getting many good replies.

Are you sure there are shunts from input to output? You dont need to do anything with the sag, are all mix and levels settings ok? Try replacing the blocks with shunts, are you getting any sound then? You dont need a amp block to get sound, however it will be higher in volume with amp than without.

NashFX, like others have said, you probably have a shunt missing or a connection missing between all the blocks. But assuming you checked that, and it appears to be connected throughout, I'd suggest building your new patch in steps. Start with just a bunch of shunts, all connected, right through from the left-most to the right-most spot in the grid. That should give you some sound (not much, as there is no gain whatsoever, but not total silence). Then replace some of the shunts with your desired blocks, one at a time. If one of these swaps cuts out the sound altogether, you will at least have identified the block type that causes your problem. Then you can read up on that block type, or ask specific questions on this forum.

You'll eventually go "doh!" and figure it out.

Daniel.

Thank you for all of your replies. I appreciate the time that it takes to respond and your explanations help.

I had added shunts where the amp and cabs were and even held the ENTER button to auto-route the effects, each to no avail. I know that it is probably something obvious and I will have an :lol: moment at some point.

I am going to blank out a preset and start from scratch.

My Liquid Foot Jr. arrives today. I can't wait try and figure that one out :D No Midi expeience here and working a virtual, non-tactile world is taking some getting used to!

Thanks again.

Also, I really think a Newbie discussion area would be useful.

Cheers

CJS

NashFX said:
Thank you for all of your replies. I appreciate the time that it takes to respond and your explanations help.

I had added shunts where the amp and cabs were and even held the ENTER button to auto-route the effects, each to no avail. I know that it is probably something obvious and I will have an :lol: moment at some point.

I am going to blank out a preset and start from scratch.

My Liquid Foot Jr. arrives today. I can't wait try and figure that one out :D No Midi expeience here and working a virtual, non-tactile world is taking some getting used to!

Thanks again.

Also, I really think a Newbie discussion area would be useful.

Cheers

CJS

Newbies are welcome to ask questions all over the forum, but it is expected and recommended to do a minimum of research before asking, which consists of: wiki, manual, google and forum search. It's a quick procedure. Everyone's been where you are.

Take a picture of your grid (or, preferrably post the patch).

It might help to know that if you select a shunt you can hit "enter" and select where you want the shunt to connect to. That's how you make them move between rows, but it also makes creating long lines of shunts a bit faster

Back
Top Bottom