I'm really interested in the axe fx3 but...

pat_rocks

Hello i really want to buy an axe fx 3 because of the infinite tools it has like its wonderfull dytronic chorus copy and son on.

I'm sure it is actually the best option for guitarists.

However i almost play 70% of the time van halen songs and despite many people saying they can recreate the brown sound with the axe fx 3 i'm always unimpressed by the result.

there is a something that makes the brown sound special it is a speaker couhing sound like if the speakers are being overloaded.

here you can clearly hear that sound it is almost like a fizzy sound.

And this sound i can't find it in every axe fx3 demo of the brown sound.

until now the only virtual device being able to reproduce this sound is the kemper threw the top jimmy profiles :

this is a future version of the top jimi van halen profile and i might say it is really spot on.

i just want to find an equivalent axe fx 3 sound to this but i still can't find it.

i hope people share some soundclouds or other.

I'm wondering if someone could prove me wrong for me to not waste money on an inferior device (the kemper is the inferior one)...

Because unfortunately this top jimmy profile might be enough for me to buy a kemper instead of an axe fx 3 x)...

I'm hesitating between both. I consider the axe fx 3 as an overall better unit the choice is tought.

Last edited:
So far Fractal's gear is the only gear I know of that allows you to tweak all kinds of speaker abusage.
With any kind of profiler you have to take these things as they got baked-in in the profile and you can't change them unless you own the real amp and make your own profiles.

Hello i really want to buy an axe fx 3 because of the infinite tools it has like its wonderfull dytronic chorus copy and son on.

However i almost play 70% of the time van halen songs and despite many people saying they can recreate the brown sound with the axe fx 3 i'm always unimpressed by the result.

there is a something that makes the brown sound special it is a speaker couhing sound like if the speakers are being overloaded.

until now the only virtual device being able to reproduce this sound is the kemper threw the top jimmy profiles :

I'm wondering if someone could prove me wrong for me to not waste money on an inferior device...

Because this top jimmy profile might be enough for me to buy a kemper instead of an axe fx 3 x)...

I can hear things in those examples that are not in the original VH recordings. Compression and low end are different, more gain, not that they sound bad but it's not accurate. The Axe-Fx can get closer with a touch of tweaking and also cleans up more amp-like with the guitar's volume knob.

Hi @pat_rocks
I’m one of those axe fx fan boys. I still cannot believe how good it is, and the realism of the sounds I can get with it.
Having said that, if you have already found exactly what you want in the Kemper, why wouldn’t you buy it? You’ve already suggested the fractal may be an inferior product if it doesn’t give you the exact sound of that kemper profile, and I doubt you’ll get it identical any other modeler.
Get what makes you happy.
Thanks
Pauly

I'm wondering if someone could prove me wrong for me to not waste money on an inferior device...

Because this top jimmy profile might be enough for me to buy a kemper instead of an axe fx 3 x)...

I'm sorry but to me this honestly sounds more provocative than interested.
The Axe III is a device that can go way beyond what a Kemper could ever hope to do. In any regard, the Kemper is the inferior device, regardless if it would be able to produce a tone you prefer.
Why do you think it's a good idea to come to the manufacturer's forums and make remarks like this?

I am a very recent FX3 owner. Previously I have owned, or used, most of the major emulators, including the Kemper. Without going Into a long discussion, I find I can develop any tone I wish with the Fractal unit. But most importantly, the emulated effects provided with the FX3 are FAR superior to those provided with any other modeler I have ever used. In addition, the FX3 amps react to effects just like a “real” amp would. I found that amps modeled with the Kemper were never able to do this well. In addition, once an amp is developed in the FX3 it can be tweaked to modify it to handle any change of guitar easily…something else a Kemper has never been good at in my experience.

I am now a Fractal fan-boy too! It took just two months for me to abandon all my old gear (I sold three modelers and two amps)…just the time needed to develop and tweak the basic presets I needed for my live gigs and recording dates. I am hooked!

Last edited:
The Axe III is a device that can go way beyond what a Kemper could ever hope to do. In any regard, the Kemper is the inferior device, regardless if it would be able to produce a tone you prefer.
Why do you think it's a good idea to come to the manufacturer's forums and make remarks like this?
Yep, post comes off kinda trollish.......If the Kemper does it for you.........keep it.......or get one.....whatever.laugh.gif

i was saying that the kemper was the inferior device x) that's why i'm complaining to have to buy it for the van halen tone exclusively.

Are you getting better EVH tones with your current setup?
What do you mean ?

that's the closest i get with bias fx :

that's was my bray 4550 :

but i sold my bray to go full digital xd I also build my own amps now. The bray was more like made only for unchained the tone was spot on. for the rest of vh songs it was too fizzy and harsh.

Back
Top Bottom