I'm pretty sure if Guns N' Roses had Axe-FX in 1991...

I will post some presets, I am currently working on a couple of them - if you listen to the UYI tone throughout, there are tweaks as the record progresses from song to song. Pretty Tied Up is different to Civil War is different to Bad Apples etc...so, i'll post a bunch by the time i'm done with 'em.

I'm also working on an Izzy tone match and attempting Duffs UYI Bass tone too, so, i'll keep everyone posted. As I said, this is what I grew up listening to, so, when i'm not working on the new stuff i'm doing with Robert Mason and Scot Coogan which is taking a while, this is what I do to try and get more accustomed to the axe fx and recording etc lol.

+1
+1
+1
Ohhhhhh Yesssss

Killer dude!
sounds awesome, although I'd say it'd fit better on 2008's Chinese Democracy.
Which isn't a bad thing.

OK this Axel-Clone-Guy is scary. But man RESPECT for such a performance.

Lol! Yeah...its bizarre isnt it?... thats what makes doing it so fun for me... I kinda get to disconnect myself from what i'm doing and say "OK Clearly i'm trying to make this sound like someone else...so...what would they do here...." - which is actually a great learning tool for picking up tricks here and there.

Its a fun little project to be involved in, but, if anyone thinks we think what we're doing sounds original, I assure you, we know its not haha. Thats what the other stuff i'm doing is for.

The tones are getting closer, it'll be a little bit just due to schedule but I should have some patches out before long...along with a few more tunes with Chad (The singer) in the mean time.

Oh and thanks to everyone who gave it a listen by the way, truly appreciated considering how long the damn song is :)

Stephen, those tracks are off scale bro, excellent playing and tone!

Thank you! :) i'm not much of an Engineer but the tracks don't sound too bad for sitting around on my mac one Sunday afternoon I guess. Still, if we could just wipe out everyones memory and convince them GNR never existed, i'm pretty sure this band could get signed....hahaha.

Last edited:
Thank you! :) i'm not much of an Engineer but the tracks don't sound too bad for sitting around on my mac one Sunday afternoon I guess. Still, if we could just wipe out everyones memory and convince them GNR never existed, i'm pretty sure this band could get signed....hahaha.

I hear Emmett Brown has a certain DeLorean which may help :) no need for a memory wipe ....

...and for everyone that has stuck around, here is a couple of clips (mashed down into short bursts clearly) of one of the new songs i'm doing with Robert (Warrant/Ozzy/Lynch Mob/Cry of Love) - this is TOTALLY unmixed and raw so its gonna be fun to show the finished product. ALL guitars are Axe 2 direct.

OK Stephen, that was just ridiculously good. You've got that whole Slash AFD tone absolutely nailed! Which amp and speakers are you using?OK Stephen, that was just ridiculously good. You've got that whole Slash AFD tone absolutely nailed! Which amp and speakers are you using?

OK Stephen, that was just ridiculously good. You've got that whole Slash AFD tone absolutely nailed! Which amp and speakers are you using?

You're too kind sir! - I'm not in front of my Axe right now but i'll grab at least that stuff for now before I finish up the patches and put them on here tonight for you to tinker around with :)

Fun side note, I actually have the guys that played horns on the Slash's Blues Ball tour on one version of that song (Devils Daughter) :)

MIND.BLOWN

that was incredible!

couldn't thank you enough if you do share the patches in the future

At the moment I’m trying to create the basic AFD and UYI-Sound without any tone matching (I thing with the new V11 it’s possible to create that). I spent allot of time for that and last night I’ve found out some important tweaks. But I also think something secret in the UYI-Sound is still missing. I’ll keep on searching …

thats the way to do it ....IMO tone matching always seems to add in some extra stuff and while it might sound good thru monitors jamming, if you use it thru a FRFR loud its not even close to what the sound would be like of the amp miced etc

*EDIT* just saw OP did a TM lol :D ...wondering what track because AFAIK UYI had no real isolated guitar parts or stems floating around

Thanks guys! In more GNR Geek fashion I just had a bit of an epiphany that I feel a total fool for not realizing sooner. Slash completely kills his tone pot on the neck pickup to get that super warm sound (November Rain first two solos etc) for some reason I was so intent on screwing with the Axe-FX that I forgot to think about the guitar.

Well, time to re-record the first solo and outro solo lol.

This is a bit off topic but... I've got the Sweet Child O' Mine raw tracks. So another to-do thing for me when I get home. YouTube video of matching that tone?

One thing I always thought of when watching a comedian who is an amazing impersonator; what if this comedian was a decent singer? They could play in some epic cover bands and nail tone and vocals. If you haven't seen Jim Brewer joke around with his James and Lars impersonations you should check it out because its too funny.

Back
Top Bottom