I'm having truople choosing the expression pedals

Abboehm

Hi. I have just received the MCF-101, and I now want to buy the expression pedals.

I need 3 kinds of effects.

1) Wah Wah
2) Whammy
3) Volume

And actually, I already own an Ernie Ball volume Jr. and a Digitech Whammy 5.

Now for my many questions:

For a Wah, I was thinking of buying a Mission Engineering pedal with LED, but I don't know which one? I dont want the spring load option, and do I really need to have the one with a toe switch? I mean, will the "open" Wah colour the sound in any way? So which is the better choice, SP-1 or EP1?

Regarding the Whammy. I could sell my Digitech and buy a red coulered mission pedal as well. Having two might look pretty cool, but will this Work? If not, can I plug the Digitech Whammy directly into the MfC, or do I have the use the effect loop in the Axe Fx 2?

There are "only" 4 inputs on the MFC-101, so which way would be the best way for me to go about it?

Thank you for helping me.

Anders

Last edited:
I don't know anything about the ability to use the Whammy as an expression pedal, but the EB VPJr works great for volume and you are right: the missions work great for Whammy, Wah or any other expression use.
I personally would use the EP1s and use the auto engage function. The bonus with the SP1 is you can maybe use a single pedal and use the switch to go between wah and whammy if you don't need to use both at the same time.

Mission is great for wah and whammy or to control any parameter. though as they feel better for wah whamy stuff,
moogerfooger ep 2 feels better for fx parameters cos they have a bigger range.

and i have ernie ball jr, u should pay attention to the version. Mine has a higher ohm and it doesnt
Work well, calibration wont help either.i heard ones with lower k work properly

I bought 3 EP1 s two with springs and one without. I use the one without for volume and the spring ones for wah and whammy. Bought a black,red and green one. Rhats the way I went and I love them. I wouldn't mind trying one of those Roland fv500 for volume. But what I have works great. I use my guitar volume pot quite a bit.

Last edited:
I got 3 mission pedals as I lie the Dunlop style, I opted for the stealth black (no logo) and got three EP1 pedals, one spring loaded option for applications where it is needed.

I love the spring loaded for use with wah and auto engage.

Thx for the replies. What is "Auto engage" and Will the mission EP1 Colour the Sound if used as a wah? I mean, does it change the sound, when I am not using the pedal. Also: how many cables does it need? Could I have Two EP-1 and My Ernie Ball, and only ude 3 inputs?

and i have ernie ball jr, u should pay attention to the version. Mine has a higher ohm and it doesnt
Work well, calibration wont help either.i heard ones with lower k work properly

Not really true. I have a regular volume VP Junior. If you use a Volume Block as opposed to the input or output volume control, you can customize the taper and get very smooth rage of action. Never been an issue at all.

I also have a Boss 500 and it works well both for volume and effect control.

Go to mfc calibration page and see how it reacts. And maybe u have the one with lower k, its not written on the pedal. They both look just the same. And it might be that u are compansating the problem with the taper selection for volume block. But iam not talking about any block, i mean about random parameters and expression pedal function. I read this about earnie jr in other threads also. I have three different brands as mentioned (moogerfooger, mission and earnie ball)...and earnie isthe only one cosing little problem

Not really true. I have a regular volume VP Junior. If you use a Volume Block as opposed to the input or output volume control, you can customize the taper and get very smooth rage of action. Never been an issue at all.

I also have a Boss 500 and it works well both for volume and effect control.

The spring-loaded Mission EP-1 (I believe I got that model # right) is great for auto-engage wah. I just finished a gig using it! Works perfectly.

how does the toe switch work ?

Not activated, it acts as a volume pedal, clicked in, it's a wah ?
What's auto engage ?

I used to have a Vp.Jr 500k and no matter what calibration and taper I tried, it wasn’t linear so eventually I ditch it.
However I remember reading somewhere that there is a special Y cable that changes the overall resistance and lets you use the 500k without a problem, I never tried it.
I had 100% success with cheap plastic 25$ pedals that runs 250k pot, they were great but the size and reliability was not enough.
So I got 2 mission pedals (look below in my signature): a standard one (black) which is used for volume most of the time and sometimes as expression and a spring-loaded red one for wah and whammy and together with auto engage it works like a charm,.

Auto engage is a function you set on your wah or whammy block which turns the wah ON as soon as you move the pedal and as soon as you leave the pedal and the spring sets it back to heel positions, the wah goes OFF and that’s what cool about it, no worries about set it ON or OFF.
You can also use it for other parameters, not only wah and whammy.
The Boss 500 are good as well but no spring, I like them because of the size and travel, the mission are great but a little small for my foot.
If I could use the functionality (spring-loaded) of the Mission together with size shape and travel of the Vp.Jr or the Boss, it could be great.
Hope it helps clearing the fog.

I really dislike my Mission expression pedal....for wah I suppose it feels like a wah pedal. But it's heavy as heck and it's sweep is pretty shallow. For effects, volume, and even maybe wah, I'd opt for an FV500 or something with a bigger sweep. spring loaded, yeah i think they're the only one who makes them. Otherwise, I'm not sure why there's so much love for the mission pedals

I really dislike my Mission expression pedal....for wah I suppose it feels like a wah pedal. But it's heavy as heck and it's sweep is pretty shallow. For effects, volume, and even maybe wah, I'd opt for an FV500 or something with a bigger sweep. spring loaded, yeah i think they're the only one who makes them. Otherwise, I'm not sure why there's so much love for the mission pedals

It's only the spring loaded thing…
Before the AxeII, I used to run an Ibanez Weeping Demon wah in my pedalboards, it has the spring option and once you get used to it you understand how important it is for fast acting wah parts and overall feel when you play.
If Boss had their pedals with that spring….I would for sure go with it.
I totally agree the Mission are way heavy and the travel is not enough.
Compromise isn’t it ?

I really dislike my Mission expression pedal....for wah I suppose it feels like a wah pedal. But it's heavy as heck and it's sweep is pretty shallow.
I totally agree the Mission are way heavy and the travel is not enough.
Compromise isn’t it ?

FWIW, the FV500 is even heavier than the mission EP1.

If weight and travel are a concern, try a Roland EV-5. I've had all 3 pedals and the Mission and EV-5 are the best fit for me.

FWIW, the FV500 is even heavier than the mission EP1.

If weight and travel are a concern, try a Roland EV-5. I've had all 3 pedals and the Mission and EV-5 are the best fit for me.

Had it in the past, very small footprint, travel is also too short, made of plastic, no spring option, comes with its own cable so you need to cut and replace the plug etc…
Didn’t like it.

Had it in the past, very small footprint, travel is also too short, made of plastic, no spring option, comes with its own cable so you need to cut and replace the plug etc…
Didn’t like it.

Fair enough. A couple years ago I did see a DIY article on another site by someone who had spring modded their FV500. (Not just the toe switch mod that several folks have done.) I've been searching for it on Google but haven't had any success. Perhaps the author deleted it.
If I manage to locate it I'll be sure to post it.

Back
Top Bottom