I'm having a little crisis in confidence...

Not if he's using the G-sys as a pedal looper / amp switcher

I am currently using it like this, but I can drop the pedals and amp switching with the Axe-FX. Only really use the Nova Drive, which I can get better drives from the Axe-FX. I only switch in the solo boost on the amp; I'm sure I can find another option within the Axe-FX

I Play with backing tracks on YouTube.
When I hit band practice I am usually 98% where I need to be.
Middle is your best friend for cutting through the mix.

I found a post from Mark Day where he provided the link to the backing tracks he uses. Some of the songs we cover were up there and I was going to try and use these to tweak a patch into a mix.

Try the Global EQs

I have OP 1 set flat for gig use and OP 2 with an EQ curve for home. Its not perfect but does mean patches I design at home sound pretty good at stage volumes.

As you have set you patches at home, you'd need an inverse curve for live. Try these settings.

Home use - Flat as thats what youve used.

Live use:

31 Hz, -0.70db
63 Hz, -1.80 db
125 hz, -2.75db
250hz, -1.30 db
500hz, +1.0 db
1Khz, -1db
2Khz, -2.1db
4Khz, -2.8db
8Khz, -2.00 db
16 Khz, -1.6db

Cheers Paul, I'll give those a whirl.

I think it was gamedojo that posted peq settings that really help with making home patches sound and sit better in a live and loud mix. Just enable the peq block which boosted certain mid freq for live use, works great. I'll try to find the post.

Thanks Rick. I'll have a look too, see what search shows up.

BTW.. is your Lonestar a combo or a head/cab? I found that the difference between FRFR and a real cab in the room is even more pronounced when your real cab is open-back (what I was coming from).

Thanks for the insight, this sounds so familiar to what I experienced on Monday night. My Lonestar is the 1x12 combo, open backed cab.

I would think there are a lot of people here playing 80's style and playing live with the same gear since they're pretty common around here. Hopefully some of those people could post their live patches here so you could check em out and maybe try them at the next rehearsal? They will probably not be perfect given all the other factors involved but should get you in the ballpark and see if you will fit better in the mix with the other guys? It's a start anyway...

Silly thing is, there really isn't anything that complicated about what I need. I just need to nail the "sit properly in the mix" thing and then I'll probably be sorted.

Silly thing is, there really isn't anything that complicated about what I need. I just need to nail the "sit properly in the mix" thing and then I'll probably be sorted.

A very intelegent statement, IMO.

Some seem to forget that your stated task is required in every circumstance, and with every amplifier/ sound reinforcement tool.

Thanks for the insight, this sounds so familiar to what I experienced on Monday night. My Lonestar is the 1x12 combo, open backed cab.

Here's a couple things I'd try:

1:) Run a 1/4" cable from the Axe output 2 directly to the fx loop return on the back of your Boogie. Bypass the cab block, go easy on the MV in the amp block or defeat power amp modeling completely by turning the sag control all the way off. See how you like the sound this way.

2:) Run Axe to out 2 to your Matrix amp and power your Lonestar speaker with the Matrix. .

3:) With either of the above - Run the CFR wedge off the other output of the Axe and Matrix to easily A/B the two setups side by side.

I record our practices occasionally, and have the ability to remove myself from the mix. It's a great way to make presets.

This thread really does cut to the issues IMO with figuring out what this new technology is and how it fits in to real world situations. I remember having this same feeling back in the 80s when I first plugged my guitar in to a Rockman - I was like, wow this is what I hear in my head! You could just jam in headphones and it's soaring tone, crisp and full. It was the same thing - plug it in to the pa and through the monitors, sounds like you're playing in the other room - no presence, no punch.. so back to chasing tone with traditional tools. But this baby has a whole laboratory of possibilities, practically endless. I've found it to be a tremendous learning experience - just fiddling with the axe I have gained tons of insight which I don't think I could have gotten otherwise (it was too difficult and expensive!).

Anyway, for band situations I've so far had the best luck as others have mentioned with out2 for fx loop in to return on my guitar amp, bypassing speaker sim (I like leaving the PA sim on a moderate sag though for more complexity of sound). So my single amp now has an enormously expanded sound pallet. I'm convinced I could get the same thing happening with a good FRFR system utilizing the cab sims, but for now this was the quickest way to dial it in.

Good luck, I think you made the right decision keeping it!

6 Hours? I guess a POP QUIZ is in order for the guy smarter than us all !? Always someone with the last word. Doubt it Mr Switzerland! To be fair, hearing is believing.

Last edited:
Not for everyone - I needed approx 6 hours ;)

Agreed. I think a certain type of person will get this box very quickly. You might have to be the type of guy that understands real amps and or be an audio engineer (I'm am both of those) but if you are that guy, you will have an advantage and get your head wrapped around this box fast. I was getting killer tones in a matter of a couple hours. Was I diving deep into effects, no, but I was certainly able to get most any tone I wanted from the provided amps and know why it was reacting how it was reacting. Things have changed a bit since then and there are now parameters that I have to look up (dynamic depth, transformer match, etc..) but if you want killer tones, it won't take you weeks in you "get it". Am I smarter than you because of this? Nope... I just have areas of expertise that are in line with this sort of thing. Don't ask me about cars... I only know i have to fill them up with gas and oil :)

Agreed. I think a certain type of person will get this box very quickly. You might have to be the type of guy that understands real amps and or be an audio engineer (I'm am both of those) but if you are that guy, you will have an advantage and get your head wrapped around this box fast. I was getting killer tones in a matter of a couple hours. Was I diving deep into effects, no, but I was certainly able to get most any tone I wanted from the provided amps and know why it was reacting how it was reacting. Things have changed a bit since then and there are now parameters that I have to look up (dynamic depth, transformer match, etc..) but if you want killer tones, it won't take you weeks in you "get it". Am I smarter than you because of this? Nope... I just have areas of expertise that are in line with this sort of thing. Don't ask me about cars... I only know i have to fill them up with gas and oil :)

It actually only took me 2 hours but i didn't want to alienate those who have had difficulty. This box can be challenging and i can see why some get discouraged up front. There is always someone playing word poker on this site and i get a bit tired of it when my intent was to encourage someone not to quit. Take it or leave it!

I'm almost back in the land of the living after a trip "oop north", so I'll post that clean patch up when I finish work.

Interestingly, I had a friend come round Tuesday night as he really wanted to try the Axe-FX out and I valued his input into the whole thing. Needless to say, he's ordering himself an Axe-FX...

I honestly felt that I'd got to grips with the Axe-FX straight away. I'm not new to processors and understand the principles involved, I'd also done an awful lot of research prior to my purchase to understand how to get it to work. I'd lurked on here for ages, watched everything on YouTube, the Digital Gear section of TGP and felt that I was really prepared. Dialled in what I thought was a sweet clean sound using the stock ODS100 patch as a basis and was really pleased with it. Took it to rehearsal, sounded fabulous right up until the moment everyone else started playing and then it was "Where did it go?!?!?!".

I think I said in an earlier post on here that I'm going to use our "off" period to really dive in and commit to getting it working. What it does mean is that as I'm yet to be convinced, I'm returning the Matrix FRFR gear that I bought to go with it, as I don't want to be saddled with the extras if I can't get FRFR working right. I'm still within my return period on those too. The Axe-FX is going nowhere as I know it can at least replace the G-System, if not replace the entire rig. It's just going to take time, effort and tweaking to get it just right.

Have I mentioned how great you guys are :p I'm gobsmacked and humbled by everyone's responses and help. I appreciate it so much!

Okay, so here's the "clean" patch I was using - I like mine with a little hair on it ;) For reference, I was using my Les Paul with Bareknuckle Mules in it, which is their version of the fabled PAF pickup. Any pointers gratefully received.

Thanks

Attachments

• Clean.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 5
The main thing to remember when setting up presets at home is that if it sounds nice & pretty, then it probably wont carry through a live mix. If it sounds a bit gritty / ugly, then it's probably about right. Over time I've learned what will / will not cut through, but I still haven't figured out how to match overall preset levels, (clean / crunch / lead sounds) with each other, this seems to remain a trial & error procedure that my band has to endure at rehearsals and gigs.

The main thing to remember when setting up presets at home is that if it sounds nice & pretty, then it probably wont carry through a live mix. If it sounds a bit gritty / ugly, then it's probably about right. Over time I've learned what will / will not cut through, but I still haven't figured out how to match overall preset levels, (clean / crunch / lead sounds) with each other, this seems to remain a trial & error procedure that my band has to endure at rehearsals and gigs.

Thanks for the info here, the more of this I can take in, the better chance I've got in getting it right! Regarding setting preset levels, check out this video by Scott Peterson.

Back
Top Bottom