I'm an idiot..

I use a line6 g50 wireless, I play both 6 and 7 string guitars and have a transmitter for each guitar. A couple months back I was in the studio, on the clock, when my wireless decided to crap out on me (which never happens, the g50 has been rock solid everywhere I go). Swapped cables, checked batteries, cleaned jacks, even took the reciever apart to look for cold solder joints. Nothing worked, swapped to a cable and now my guitar sound was different due to that.
Got back home and realized... I had left BOTH transmitters on when I did my guitar swap!

You are not an idiot - you are one of us!

Thanks
Pauly

Fractal user for 10 years here :)

Load up my Axe 3 at rehearsal last week. For some reason, my Axe into Matrix and 1960A 4x12 had very little "bite and gain" on my higher gain presets. I recently took a beta update but everything worked ok at home.

Probably my cable. Swaps guitar cable, no difference.
Ah, probably my active pickups dying. Swap battery, nothing
Ran home, swapped guitar, nothing.
Swapped channels on the matrix, nope, not that.
Swapped speaker cable to cab, nope
Swapped CABINET!!! Nope..
Removed power conditioner and went right to outlet, nope
All sorts of axe settings..input gain, different amps, tried cab modeling on/off...NOTHING!!!
Broke everything down and went to other side of stage, maybe outlet is being weird or something (all ideas out the window at this point)

20 minutes later we say "fuck it" and run with it and I realize my footpedal was half down the entire time. Footpedal is always attached to gain as my boost.

Probably my biggest gear mishap in my 20 years playing. I'm an idiot!!!!!

Oh yea, been there. Let’s just say that I replace every tele style volume knob on my guitars with a knob that has a position indicator…. Ugh.

Same here last night at rehearsal cocked wah causing some high end. Luckily I noticed straight away but wouldn't of known that if it hadn't happened previously.

Also last night I couldn't work out why axe edit was freezing. I tried resetting the axe unplugging and plugging the USB cable in. I then realised the Mac I had was my work one and not my main one I usually use and I hadn't updated Axe Edit to the up to date version. I had no Internet last night so I didn't get an update prompt obviously. I realised driving home after rehearsal and couldn't believe it!

Had another issued the week before as well. Axe edit was open but I couldn't see the editor anywhere on screen. Tried all of rehearsal unplugging resetting the axe. I couldn't reinstall Axe edit because I had no internet connection. I realised the edit window had been dragged off screen that's why I couldn't see it. I just managed to see the edge of it just above my toolbar on my Mac just before the end of rehearsal. Really annoying lol.

Unless you're physically trying to lift a barbell....

Never let your audience see you sweat a gear mishap.

EVH @ Hartford Civic Center 2007 nearly blew a gasket yelling at his techie when one of his cables went out. Felt bad for the guy, but when you're blowing through a solo and the guitar stops, ya gotta think quickly. The scenario lasted all of 15 or 20 seconds, but the show went on.

EVH finished up the song and wiped his brow in jest.

Rule #17 in the Musician's Unwritten Guide: Keep a spare bandana in your pant's pocket in case of emergencies.

My regular is at the start of sound check having no signal and then realising i haven't plugged my wireless cable into the guitar

Not apples to apples comparison, but still left me feeling like an idiot . . .

Years ago I was in a band that ran three sets - electric, acoustic, electric. Our first gig was a Friends and Family gig. We had roughly 100 people there. The first electric set went great. Took a break and then came back for the acoustic set. We launch into our first acoustic tune (David Grisman's Dogola) and it sounds like $h!#. Someone is clearly playing in the wrong key. I'm looking around to see who the culprit is, because I know that it's not me. It took me 20 seconds to realize that I had forgotten to tune my acoustic, which was utterly out of tune, so bad that there was no way to fix it until the song ended. I pretended to play the rest of the song, missed my solo, and tried not to get too red in the face from embarrassment. Funny thing is no one noticed, not even a guitar player friend who came to the gig. This event, though embarrassing, did wonders to cure me of stage fright. If no one noticed that train wreck, then it's probably not really noticed when I hit that sour note. And now, I never forget to tune all my guitars. Lesson learned!

My worst moment... in maybe 2000 I was a finalist in a guitar contest in which Paul Gilbert and George Lynch were judges. I was only doing it to try to win some gear since I had sold most everything I had off, and the wife of course frowned on new purchases. Well, we were supposed to have a soundcheck ahead of time and ended up not getting one... I set my '89 Jackson/Charvel model 6 with EMGs down for a minute and some guy was checking it out, which was fine, but I think in the process the knobs got moved around. So I go up on stage, hit a power chord and say let's go... I go to start with a nice high sustaining note and it dies... well I have precisely 60 seconds to fly, so in a panic I try to play my prepared bit and you can only hear half of it... leaves myself and everyone else wondering WTF just happened. Turns out the volume knob was at like 60%, so the power chord came out so that you couldn't tell there was a problem but you couldn't hear much else.

I could have chosen to stick around and do a jam session with Paul Gilbert but I decided I had enough. Sure maybe that was an opportunity for redemption but I was over it... I had the last laugh though, I have bought whatever I wanted since, and it did help me not to care what other's thought about what I write.

I am certain these two stories are related:

1) When I got my first car, I locked the keys in it at least three times at various places in that first couple of months.

2) When I took my Turbo to a jam I left pedal one as auto-wah on all my presets. And at least three times in that first set of jams and rehearsals I damn near lost my mind because everything was so dark and quiet, I thought something had blown out somewhere. Nope. Just the wah rolled all the way back. Now the first thing I check is where the pedals are and that the range knobs are maxed. I still can't believe I'd allow that to happen twice, much less three times.

Fractal user for 10 years here :)

Load up my Axe 3 at rehearsal last week. For some reason, my Axe into Matrix and 1960A 4x12 had very little "bite and gain" on my higher gain presets. I recently took a beta update but everything worked ok at home.

Probably my cable. Swaps guitar cable, no difference.
Ah, probably my active pickups dying. Swap battery, nothing
Ran home, swapped guitar, nothing.
Swapped channels on the matrix, nope, not that.
Swapped speaker cable to cab, nope
Swapped CABINET!!! Nope..
Removed power conditioner and went right to outlet, nope
All sorts of axe settings..input gain, different amps, tried cab modeling on/off...NOTHING!!!
Broke everything down and went to other side of stage, maybe outlet is being weird or something (all ideas out the window at this point)

20 minutes later we say "fuck it" and run with it and I realize my footpedal was half down the entire time. Footpedal is always attached to gain as my boost.

Probably my biggest gear mishap in my 20 years playing. I'm an idiot!!!!!
It was very dark and I couldn't get any sound for 5 minutes.... input guitar into headphone jack. Don't feel bad, it happens to us, we are all human.

I got tired of telling my interface to use the SPDIF word clock every time I wanted to play my AF3 through monitors, so I switched the Axe's word clock from "internal" to "SPDIF in." I figured that would clean up some of the random pops you get when the clock isn't set up right.

Then I forgot about it, unplugged from the interface and rehearsed for the first time in months, and everything was screwed up. I nuked all my presets and my FC12 config because I thought I had inadvertently connected something to a modifier. After a couple hours of systematically rebuilding everything, I realized what was wrong. One twist of a knob in the I/O menu...

I got tired of telling my interface to use the SPDIF word clock every time I wanted to play my AF3 through monitors, so I switched the Axe's word clock from "internal" to "SPDIF in." I figured that would clean up some of the random pops you get when the clock isn't set up right.

Then I forgot about it, unplugged from the interface and rehearsed for the first time in months, and everything was screwed up. I nuked all my presets and my FC12 config because I thought I had inadvertently connected something to a modifier. After a couple hours of systematically rebuilding everything, I realized what was wrong. One twist of a knob in the I/O menu...
Ideally it'd recognize that there is no clock signal on the SPDIF input, and would revert to internal.

Back
Top Bottom