I'm a midi fail.

jpelzel

Hi all,

I am trying to hook up a VG99 to my Axefx2/MFC. Just for simple patch changes for now. I have the out on the Axe going into the in on the VG but I can't figure our the secret code setting on either to get the to speak on the same channel or whatnot.

Any tips?

Set your Axe and VG-99 to the same MIDI channel as your MFC. You set the Axe's MIDI channel in the I/O | MIDI page. Set the VG-99's MIDI channel by following the instructions of page 58 of the VG-99 manual.

Be sure to turn on MIDI THRU on the Axe.

if you find that the VG does some peculiar things when the MFC is transmitting MIDI CC to the Axe [scene changes, expression pedals etc..] then the alternative is to look at having the VG on a different MIDI channel to the Axe, and have the MFC send a 2nd command on the VG's MIDI channel
for example..
Axe scene 1 may want VG preset 21
Axe scene2 may want VG preset 115

the MFC IA's can send more than one MIDI command..
it can send the CC to the Axe for scene1 via MIDI channel 1
and send the program change [preset number] to the VG on MIDI channel 2

that way, the VG will not react to MIDI data intended only for the Axe [and therefore not exhibit some potentially spurious behaviours]

Thanks guys. Seems to be working so far.

Part of my problem was that I would test changes by using the value knob to change patches. This doesn't appear to send the midi changes when doing so as I thought it would. FYI in case someone else see this.

Back
Top Bottom