I'm a bedroom player with the following goals, what gear would you recommend?

I picked up my guitar three months ago after a 15 year hiatus(!), and could use some advice on what gear fits me. I'm a bedroom guitarist who does not record. I don't want to buy an amp because they're big, heavy, take up space, are loud, are expensive, and provide a singular tone; I need something instead of an amp. I have no intentions to play live or to be a professional. I also don't want to go down in the weeds of crafting a polished tone - I want to play. I play rock and metal, I may branch out into lower gain melodic/soulful things at some point.

I've been using NeuralDSP plugins, I recently got an Axe FM3 and I'm thinking it may be overkill.

1. Is my FM3 overkill for bedroom playing? I'm wondering if it was designed for a bigger venue or a recording situation, so perhaps I'm not getting all the benefits given my volume levels and application.

2. Does dedicated hardware with a DSP always sound better than a plugin running through my Macbook?

My ears cannot tell the difference between say Archetype: Nolly and my FM3, going through my Rokit 7 studio monitors. Compared to the FM3, I was expecting that plugins would sound more... robotic? The sound equivalent of a pixelated image. However, if there is a difference, I'd like to get my ears accustomed to the best of the best from the beginning, even if I can't detect it yet (cause I will at some point).

3. I don't want to deal with latency ever. Plugins seem fine but again I want to use the best my budget can buy, even I can't tell the difference yet.
What would you suggest? Given my modest use and requirements, would you say an FM3 is overkill?

Well, if you’re looking at it from a “I might not recognize it now, but I hope to do so in the future”, I’d stick with it, because that can apply all over the place. You might not use all the different amps now, but maybe in 6 months you discover you really dig playing an entirely different style/tone, you’ve already got the tools to pull it off with.

I got my III knowing there was a ton of stuff I wouldn’t use in it when I got it, but knew I’d eventually want to venture out and utilize them. IE- edge of breakup tones; I’ve been playing metal for so long that those kinds of tones/amps were never a necessity to me, I didn’t think I’d ever have any interest in playing in a cover band again but found myself joining one in the last couple months and I’m now using all kinds of amps I never even considered before.

You can definitely grow into gear and modelers are perfect for such situations.

I find plugins (I have Neural, Amplitibe) have gotten a lot better in recent years but they do not retain the varying character of different guitars as well as my Axefx3 which has an input section designed better for that. Also, the latency is still better with hardware modellers with Axefx having best latency of those, though that's recently improved also with plugins and computing power. So I'd suggest FM3 - which is good cuz you have it now so the decision is already made (even if its overkill which only you can really determine, you'll lose $ going to something else at this point anyway(. I think you kind if answered your own question but if u need reinforcement -> Axefx!

Last edited:
We are similar animals. When I bought mine, I felt undeserving of the cost, and technology. To me, the answer is no. Later, as you want more, the FM3 will give you more. It has been worth it to me just for the educational aspect of learning about amps and effects. I am a bare bones player, but sometimes I dip into certain effects because, why not? Also, my favorite amp today is often a different amp the next week.
It's more than enough for guys like us, but that's a good thing in my opinion.

Short answer to the overkill question is 'no'. I have no experience with plug-ins, so no help there.

Food for thought: 1. The FM3 is suitable for gigs as well as bedroom playing due to its power/size combination. 2. Quality of sound is huge in keeping you motivated to play. I've avoided amps for all the reasons you listed and since buying the FM3 my practice time has only increased due to looking forward to how well this thing sounds. So, could you buy something lesser? Sure, but would it be worth it in the end?

Comparing dedicated hardware to plugins is tricky. And your concern about latency gets right to the heart of it.

Running your guitar into an interface, then into your computer with plugins will give you some control over buffer sizes (latency) and signal path, but it is quite a bit of setup and quite a bit of work. And you are dealing with the way the interface deals with your guitar input (in a non-guitar preamp kind of way).

A dedicated hardware box will have an input designed for guitars/basses. Depending on how you work, it might be quicker to set up and get in and start working/playing- than it would if you had to deal with a computer setup.

As to whether the FM3 is overkill, I guess there are two big questions. Can you afford it? If you already bought so perhaps that's a moot point. And is it too complicated for you to get around learning how to use it? There are so many presets so perhaps you find what you need there- and don't need to dig too deep. I'm still very much a beginner and am finding tons of useful tutorial vids.

If you want something cheaper and more simple, there are a few good devices with more shallow learning curves. People seem to like the Line 6 HX Stomp. I've seen some positive reviews of the Headrush MX5.

Why I went with the FM3 after trying more multi-effects than I'd care to admit:
1. Quality of effects, especially reverb
2. Flexibility of signal path
3. Detailed editing (pro-level sound design parameters with range & resolution)
4. Massive selection of effects/amps/cabs
5. Unparalleled realtime control options.
6. Ability to make tones that are non-traditional.

Sounds like you are in a good place with the FM3. The location where you play shouldn’t dictate the quality of gear you use. If what you currently owns works for you no need to second guess yourself.

This is what I tell my students and their parents CONSTANTLY; great playing and sounding gear is a great inspiration. It doesn't matter what level you're at. It may be over your head at first, some of it is over my head and I've been playing a long time, but it's not rocket science. Plug in, tune up, crank it up, and enjoy!

And honestly, an FM3 is a bargain compared to what I've sunk into amps and effects over the years. Like, seriously, it's almost embarrassing. Definitely not overkill.

1) No, the FM3 is not overkill, unless the best modeling on the planet is overkill.

2) No, dedicated hardware is not automatically better... unless it was designed to be. The FM3 qualifies. ;)

3) Nothing beats Fractal stuff for latency.

Side benefit: you don't need to tie up your computer to play guitar

Since FM3 I never used Plugins like GuitarRig or Amplitube anymore.
Booting up PC, Starting Software, dealing with issues because of something distorting the singal (PC-related) and dialing in good tones is much more easy with the FM3 - never got a same quality or satisfying tone out of the plugins. And if they are near, only with humming or less attack or dynamics.
As stated already here- I play more since I got the FM3 because it really is fun against the other stuff.
Even with headphones the sound is more near to amp in room and chugging than from the plugins, at least for me.

And you never know what future will bring to you.
May you meet nice folks and got the idea to play some gigs or at least rehearsal and with the FM3 and a FRFR you are ready for it.

Have no experience with plugins also, so I cannot comment on that.

I think that you made a good invest, as you have bought a peace of gear that is constantly further developed by the fractal engineers.
also you can dial in quit quick a well suited metal tone, or just use a preset created by one of the users.

sure if you want you can make forensic and spend hours and hours but this is not needed as there are so much fantastic presets already onnboard.

myself I have my 2-3 go to amps and cabs which i stick to and I am also not playing live neither currently in a band.

if you decide later you want to sell then unit you might still get a fait value for the FM3.

enjoy

Thank you everyone for the replies. I feel reassured that I didn't lose my mind and bought more than made sense. Specially helpful from this thread: the reframing from "overkill" to "potential", the fact that I got an FM3 at bargain price ($999), and that at the moment these are retaining their value really well, so selling down the line would not cost me almost anything probably.

I was definitely overthinking it. Thanks for your words!

Last edited:
The only thing I would consider (probably doesn't matter right now) but from what I have read. The rokit monitors tend to be pretty colored/not flat in their response, so may not faithfully reproduce the sounds in the axe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rex
The only thing I would consider (probably doesn't matter right now) but from what I have read. The rokit monitors tend to be pretty colored/not flat in their response, so may not faithfully reproduce the sounds in the axe.
This. If you can swing something above entry-level studio monitors, you'll be glad you did. ;)

1. Even the FM3 is overkill for most users. It does way, way more than what most people would need out of a digital modeler. But the thing with digital is that because memory is cheap, they tend to get filled with a lot of features, some of which you might not use but another user would.

2. Not necessarily better. The NeuralDSP plugins are very good sounding, but a big part of it is because they have very good presets bundled that let you shortcut a lot of tweaking.

3. Plugins will always have higher latency. No way around it. Hardware modelers feel more responsive and immediate. The difference isn't huge but it's there.

But you could think of it this way: The FM3 gives you a single unit that can do almost everything you would ever need a guitar rig to do. Pretty much every amp tone and effect there is, all at high quality, in stereo. The more you use it the more it allows you to do. It can also grow with you, e.g. maybe you eventually want to join a band and instead of taking a laptop it's nicer to bring a FM3 and a fullrange speaker setup.

Is my FM3 overkill for bedroom playing? I'm wondering if it was designed for a bigger venue or a recording situation, so perhaps I'm not getting all the benefits given my volume levels and application.

I don't think so. Really, it depends on your finances, though. Did you go into debt for it? Can you pay your bills? Are your forgoing something else? Or maybe just feeling a little bit of buyer's remorse?

If it's too much of a stretch, it's overkill. If not, then it isn't.

Does dedicated hardware with a DSP always sound better than a plugin running through my Macbook?

My ears cannot tell the difference between say Archetype: Nolly and my FM3, going through my Rokit 7 studio monitors. Compared to the FM3, I was expecting that plugins would sound more... robotic? The sound equivalent of a pixelated image. However, if there is a difference, I'd like to get my ears accustomed to the best of the best from the beginning, even if I can't detect it yet (cause I will at some point).
There is no such thing as "always" in audio. Even about that statement.

A dedicated hardware DSP is always going to have less going on inside it than a general use computer, and that's really the only absolute difference. A software update isn't going to inhibit your ability to play. You won't have to wait for plugins to get updated to work with M1/M2/whatever's next. Etc.. That is definitely a benefit. A corresponding downside is that it's a lot harder to find someone capable of fixing them if there's actually a hardware problem.

All the different ways of modeling analog gear are slightly (or significantly) different ways to solve the same problem...how to make a guitar sound good in relatively specific ways taking into account the criteria you listed (mostly big, heavy, loud, expensive amps). IMO, none of them sound light-years ahead of anything else. I like Fractal a lot because it seems to work with how my head works, and I find it inspiring to play, and there are a couple subtle things I think they get right that others gloss over. But, it's not like I've tried all of them. Still, I'm happy with my choice.

I have never felt that satisfaction from plugins. In other parts of my musical life, I love plugins and would generally choose them over the hardware they model (or because there isn't hardware that does what they do, whether digital or analog). You may feel differently. Whatever you like is what you should use, assuming that you can afford it.

I don't want to deal with latency ever. Plugins seem fine but again I want to use the best my budget can buy, even I can't tell the difference yet.

Stop worrying about it unless it's a problem. Seriously.

A lot of big acts (probably the majority) are using IEMs with wireless systems. A lot of them are also using wireless systems instead of guitar cables. Every big show (and most small venues) use a digital mixer for FOH. A decent number of relatively small bands are carrying their own digital mixers just for monitors these days.

All digital conversion and processing incurs latency. Including hardware modelers. It's short, but it's there.

Analog processing also incurs something like latency, depending on exactly what processing you're talking about. And tubes take a tiny amount of time to respond. Sound also takes time to travel through the air.

Ever wonder why a symphony has a conductor? It's because if the players were only responding to what they hear, they'd never be in time. They're too spread out. They have to watch the conductor to play in time with the people on the other end of the stage.

If you can keep time, the latency is not a problem.

Sound travels a meter in about 3 milliseconds. Relatively normal latency through a DAW is about the same experience as keeping time with a drummer who's like 8-10 feet away. People have been doing that for a long, long time. It was a lot worse 10 years ago. Heck, it was worse 5 years ago. Today....everything is so fast that it's not really a problem. YMMV, obviously. But, if it's not bothering you, it's not likely to start. It's only going to get better as time goes on.

What would you suggest? Given my modest use and requirements, would you say an FM3 is overkill?

Not unless you can't afford it.

I picked up my guitar three months ago after a 15 year hiatus(!), and could use some advice on what gear fits me. I'm a bedroom guitarist who does not record. I don't want to buy an amp because they're big, heavy, take up space, are loud, are expensive, and provide a singular tone; I need something instead of an amp. I have no intentions to play live or to be a professional. I also don't want to go down in the weeds of crafting a polished tone - I want to play. I play rock and metal, I may branch out into lower gain melodic/soulful things at some point.

I've been using NeuralDSP plugins, I recently got an Axe FM3 and I'm thinking it may be overkill.

1. Is my FM3 overkill for bedroom playing? I'm wondering if it was designed for a bigger venue or a recording situation, so perhaps I'm not getting all the benefits given my volume levels and application.

2. Does dedicated hardware with a DSP always sound better than a plugin running through my Macbook?

3. I don't want to deal with latency ever. Plugins seem fine but again I want to use the best my budget can buy, even I can't tell the difference yet.
It's not over kill, but I would stick with plugins... You dont need to use every amp, every effect on the FM to make it worth it, but if you are never going to play out and already getting good tones from your macbook rig, what is the the FM3 going to give you that you dont already have.

Excellent points Marsonic! Your examples of everyone using IEMs and there being latency between you and your drummer really drove the point home. I'm convinced latency is not an issue for me.

Excellent points Marsonic! Your examples of everyone using IEMs and there being latency between you and your drummer really drove the point home. I'm convinced latency is not an issue for me.
It absolutely can be if you set it up wrong (too big of a buffer) either because you don't know to do it "right" or because your computer can't process the audio fast enough. It just....it doesn't come up that often with a reasonably modern computer and relatively simple demands.

Back
Top Bottom