II = interface. Reaper = DAW. Hardware synth = input 2. Monitoring = headphones.

miketheman

Experienced
Hello!

I´ve finally managed to figure out getting my Axe Fx II working in Reaper. I haven´t been working in any DAW for about 10 years, so there´s a lot to catch up with. It turned out to be TOO easy getting signals in at Reaper once all settings were done, so I had a hard time figuring out why I didn´t see/hear anything.

HINT: arm your track, and voilá your guitar are coming thru. Eureka! :roll
(otherwise nothing was heard nor seen in Reaper, at least not for me anyway)

Coming from Ultra, much is alike. But new features needs to be straighten out a bit...

My signal flow as of now:

Guitar in at front input on II (coming from Guitar Thru of my Axon AX-100, which pass the mag PUs thru).
Nord Modular G2 in at input 2 (provides me synths/drummachines and can be triggered and/or played by me via MIDI from my AX-100),
I´m currently monitoring thru headphones, since all this happens at nights in my kitchen (when kids are asleep in the next room). Set it up, having fun and then tear it down when done. Not optimal, but that´s the way it is right now.

I´m just using a basic amp + cab patch (sometimes DLY as well), nothing special. Input 2 (synths/drummachines) enters the grid via the FX LOOP block.
I can´t recall the exact setting of how the USB connection is setup, but I at least get signals into Reaper. However, not separated at different tracks.
Whichever track I´m recording the synth/drumachine part to will also have my guitar on it. My workaround so far have been to record these parts separately. Starting with synths/drummachines and then bypass them, when I want to lay down guitar to next track.

My problem:

There is always a bit "fighting" between my guitar sound and the sound coming from DAW. Strike a chord too loud, and the rest of the music almost vanish totally. When the chord decays, the music comes back.

My questions:

Is this because of my headphones may be of insufficient impedance?
Model: AKG K518DJ, impedance 32 ohms (primary using them for listening to music in my cellphone while I walk to work)

Is it because of the II perhaps not having a mixer function of the IN/OUT signals at the USB interface section?
(Please note: I´m NOT saying that it doesn´t have that, but I haven´t found anything in my II that indicate a such thing or I´ve been looking in the wrong place...)

Is it my settings AND/OR grid layout that probably are erroneous?
(´cause you´re doing a similar thing and haven´t got these problems)

Any other suggestions?

FWIW:
I´ve been working in a music store some years ago, so the technical terms regarding audio interface are a bit familiar. However, my experience of setting up and using audio interface are close to none. Since I´ve never had one myself until now (in the II). Technical terms regarding DAWs and peripherals are a bit familiar as well, but experience close to none of the same reason.

My computer is not powerful in any way, but it pass the minimal requirements recommended in the manual (for interface application).

I´ve been using my Ultra prior to my II so I am not a total newbie at Axe-Fx (however I admit that there are still much to learn). I am no expert in modular synthesis either but I am able to operate my Nord Modular G2 which CAN get quite a bit deeper than the Axe (in modularity, however not amp emulation).
If the possible complexity of the Nord Modular G2 can´t screw your mind, you are either God or dead... (but then you wouldn´t read this I guess... :roll)

In short, I´m a techie but also aware of that there might be to many fronts here (the II <> the grid / USB-interface settings <> DAW and my Nord Modular G2 somewhere inbetween in there as well).
Dealing with them all at the same time, I´m at risk making myself going in circles instead of making any progress anywhere.

Any suggestions, thoughts, questions are welcome!

/Mike

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom